3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is going up insanely fast! I thought they would be digging down for quite a while...I guess I was wrong!

From the photos, it seems like there was not much excavation to begin with, of course except for the footings. This tower was started from ground level.

Wow this is going up insanely fast! I thought they would be digging down for quite a while...I guess I was wrong!

These guys don't play. I kept hearing hammering in the distance last night (a Friday night) and finally went on the terrace to see what it was. They were building forms for the next level -- whole crew -- at 8:00 and beyond.

I didn't mind at all, the hammering isn't that loud compared to most of the construction noise during the day.

Progress on their sales office on Church Street beside Picasso's seems to be moving along. I don't think they will have much trouble selling Catalyst, most comments I've heard from people that have been in Avenue are as good as they can get. If intentional, and probably so, they are brilliant for holding sales until after Avenue units close -- rave reviews and being able to see their finished product are likely going to really boost sales.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to how quickly the building itself is going up, they are doing quite a bit of site work on the rest of the site. There appears to be a large (for lack of a better word) trench going up the middle from Mint -- maybe the drive in part for the parking deck. But they seem to be working on a few things around the building so it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing additional forms, footings, foundation, or other elements of the other buildings soon.

I really like that it looks like the buildings are set back at least 16 feet. (looks possibly even 20')....wider sidewalks is something that is desperately needed.....especially in this part of downtown that have heavy foot traffic for Panther's and soon to be Knight's games. It also should allow for some outdoor dining, which I bet would be popular due to its location across from the park.

The construction speed of the Catalyst is nothing short of astounding. Every new pic you guys post has me in disbelief.

Any definite word on which structure will be next on the site? It was be awesome to have 12 start next.

Parking Deck, then office building, then twelve, I do believe that is the order that they are going to build in. Oh and I definately agree, this project is just flying along! Driving through on graham Street it is actually quite hard to fathom that there is going to be a baseball diamond on one side, and a gorgeous park surrounded by skyscrapers on the other. Now a days you drive down graham and all you can say is ick, and thinka bout how much potential the area has, hopefully we'll indeed see that potential met in the next 5 years. 18k of retail, a grocery store and 300k sq feet of parking to replace all the lost surface parking will be great as well.

I drove by today, and it's even more unbelievable in person then the photos (didn't have my camera on me today). I swear it's almost at the height of Wachovia, yet its moving like 1.5 times as fast. Also, they are digging a deep trench in the center, I'm assuming for underground parking (?) although I thought most of it was above ground. Couldn't see enough, but it definitly was down into the ground a good 1-2 stories. I don't know how they do it, and then watch other builders that take 2-3 + times as long, and be able to come out affordably. If it's the techniques or technology, I don't see why other builders aren't adopting, because Catalyst will be making a presence on our skyline by the end of January at this speed.

I drove by today, and it's even more unbelievable in person then the photos (didn't have my camera on me today). I swear it's almost at the height of Wachovia, yet its moving like 1.5 times as fast. Also, they are digging a deep trench in the center, I'm assuming for underground parking (?) although I thought most of it was above ground. Couldn't see enough, but it definitly was down into the ground a good 1-2 stories. I don't know how they do it, and then watch other builders that take 2-3 + times as long, and be able to come out affordably. If it's the techniques or technology, I don't see why other builders aren't adopting, because Catalyst will be making a presence on our skyline by the end of January at this speed.

Other developers are taking note.

Other developers are taking note.

They certainly are. It hasn't affected sales to a huge degree, but to some degree for other projects. The fact that others that are announced never seem to get started or built on time, yet these guys build before they even take reservations is going to make a big mark on the development environment. Combine that with the fact that Avenue overall is getting great reviews...people are anxious to reserve Catalyst units, but on the fence about some of the other pre-construction projects.

Edited by Charlotte_native