The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

The Dunkin Donuts for downtown Greenville has been cancelled. Signs have been taken down. This is what happens when you try to mess with my beloved Krispy Kreme. tough.gif

Well, that's unfortunate for the hype that surrounded the plans of this particular store. Good, however, for Coffee Underground.

Hopefully retail will once again be the tenant in this spot...

The Dunkin Donuts for downtown Greenville has been cancelled. Signs have been taken down. This is what happens when you try to mess with my beloved Krispy Kreme. tough.gif

I am very disappointed to hear this. That was going to be a really cool place! Given the big plans for Piazza Bergamo and Washington Square, this space will surely be filled by a quality tenant in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy John's at McBee Ave & Spring St is reopening this Wednesday – don’t know any time of day details. Looks like new management with new owner.

Yeah, they got a new franchisee for that location. Signage should be going up over the next few days.

I recently heard that the owner of the former Woolworth building property is NOT going to create a green space as originally planned. They say it is a financial burden to plant grass there. As far as I can tell, that means we get to live with the construction fence until some unknown time in the future when something else is built there. If there's anything worse than the empty building, this is it. I'm hoping the city will be able to put some serious pressure on these people.

Dunkin Donut's franchisee's difficulties is leading to several upstate South Carolina locations closing. Krispy Kreme should take this opportunity to aggressively grow through adding locations. No one will drive to North Pleasanburg for a donught when a competitor offers similar quality in additional accessible outlets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Cocobella Boutique has opened on Augusta Street in the West End. Yes, it's just another ladies' boutique, but it seems like it would add to and help create quite a cluster of ladies shops on Augusta, which is good for attracting shoppers. :thumbsup: Nonetheless, it's good to see a local store expand and do so downtown! :shades:

Dunkin Donut's franchisee's difficulties is leading to several upstate South Carolina locations closing. Krispy Kreme should take this opportunity to aggressively grow through adding locations. No one will drive to North Pleasanburg for a donught when a competitor offers similar quality in additional accessible outlets.

Actually, I think that is South Pleasantburg. lol.dontknow.gif

I recently heard that the owner of the former Woolworth building property is NOT going to create a green space as originally planned. They say it is a financial burden to plant grass there. As far as I can tell, that means we get to live with the construction fence until some unknown time in the future when something else is built there. If there's anything worse than the empty building, this is it. I'm hoping the city will be able to put some serious pressure on these people.

Have to disagree. At leaat it opens up some space so you can see something(Bank of America building) instead of the eyesore.

Have to disagree. At leaat it opens up some space so you can see something(Bank of America building) instead of the eyesore.

Now that it's just the green fence, It's really evident how much Main Street frontage this development contains. It's rather large! Something which I noticed less when it was multiple storefronts...

Actually, I think that is South Pleasantburg. lol.dontknow.gif

The Dunkin Donuts Franchisee liquidadted and something like 16 off the stores were purchased by another franchisee.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in there several times, but it's never busy. dontknow.gif

I get the feeling that they do a good bit of corporate business from that location -- large orders and deliveries to downtown businesses, etc. -- but I don't have any firsthand knowledge about that. I'm in and out of there fairly often, and while it's never busy, it does seem that there are always a handful of shoppers in there no matter what time of day it is.

• 2 weeks later...