The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Two Twenty One North, a club on North Main, has apparently closed. The interior has been completely redone. Does anyone know what's going in here? It appears to be a restaurant...

There was an application a couple of months ago in the DPC for a Church/Cafe to go in there. Alcohol free cafe with christian bands and church services on Wednesday nights and Sundays.

There was an application a couple of months ago in the DPC for a Church/Cafe to go in there. Alcohol free cafe with christian bands and church services on Wednesday nights and Sundays.

I don't know how I missed that. From the outside, it already looks better with transparent glass! Good luck to them!

Two Twenty One North, a club on North Main, has apparently closed. The interior has been completely redone. Does anyone know what's going in here? It appears to be a restaurant...

Good. :good: The place was a bit trashy and never lived up to the level of other downtown restaurants. I imagine the Qwikees workers hanging out at 221.

It is to be the new location for The Channel. If you remember the Channel used to be downtown but with the name Carpenter's Cellar, the they moved to the TZ Wines building on Orchard Park, now they are coming back downtown and should be a great addition.

• 2 weeks later...

A new clothing store has opened next to Guadalajara restaurant in the old Benetz space. Originally, it was supposed to be an expansion of that restaurant but obviously that didn't happen. Just one problem though. I don't know who it is. I didn't see any tenant signs up or anything except for ones on the windows stating how people were asking for the store in Greenville and now we have it. :mellow::dontknow:

Edited by citylife

A new clothing store has opened next to Guadalajara restaurant in the old Benetz space. Originally, it was supposed to be an expansion of that restaurant but obviously that didn't happen. Just one problem though. I don't know who it is. I didn't see any tenant signs up or anything except for ones on the windows stating how people were asking for the store in Greenville and now we have it. :mellow::dontknow:

Interesting! It's GREAT to get another retailer downtown, especially in the heart of the City Center! Additionally, it's nice to know that people have been requesting this place... hopefully that bodes well as to how long they'll stay in business. :thumbsup:

Well the store is called WISHgville which would explain the "you got your wish" signs on the windows. Finally figured it out.

What exactly is this store and how did people wish for it? haha. I did a quick search and found nothing about wishgville or even wishville.

Anyone have any more information?

What exactly is this store and how did people wish for it? haha. I did a quick search and found nothing about wishgville or even wishville.

Anyone have any more information?

It's a female clothing store. When was the last time a female didn't wish for a new clothing store? :scared::lol:

It is basically an expansion of WISH5pts from Columbia: http://www.facebook.com/WISH5pts The only thing I could find about the new Greenville store is this facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/WISHgville

• 4 weeks later...

According to the DPC agenda, Verizon Wireless is opening up shop at Piazza Bergamo, taking the proposed Dunkin Donuts space! 103 North Main Street This is exciting to see! It's great to have a retailer taking up space as opposed to a restaurant! :thumbsup:

Also, Clemson University is putting their name on top of the old Bowater HQ's building on Camperdown. A huge orange "CLEMSON" will now be looming over Falls Park and the Liberty Bridge! :wub: Clemson's name also looks good on the GHS Patewood Campus, and on Interstate 85 at CU-ICAR... 55 Camperdown Way

According to the DPC agenda, Verizon Wireless is opening up shop at Piazza Bergamo, taking the proposed Dunkin Donuts space! 103 North Main Street This is exciting to see! It's great to have a retailer taking up space as opposed to a restaurant! :thumbsup:

Also, Clemson University is putting their name on top of the old Bowater HQ's building on Camperdown. A huge orange "CLEMSON" will now be looming over Falls Park and the Liberty Bridge! :wub: Clemson's name also looks good on the GHS Patewood Campus, and on Interstate 85 at CU-ICAR... 55 Camperdown Way

Very cool. Nice to see this major Clemson push into our urban core. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The Mayor tweeted today that Trader Joes was coming to Woodruff Rd., that Verizon and Dean & Deluca would be coming to downtown. He also threw in that it was be a limited version, but didn't specify if that referred to Dean & Deluca or Verizon. Here's the link to the article on WYFF. WYFF Article

Dean & Deluca downtown? Wow! That is huge. They reserve those for really nice areas, in important cities, with a healthy mix of money and tourists. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would love to see the store locate in the space formerly occupied by Restaurant O. The only new spaces I can think of in downtown are in the West End and McBee Station, unless you take remodeled space into account. In that case, there are at least a couple of options on Main Street.

Will the Dean and Delca store be the only one in SC.Looked @ the their website and noticed they don't have a store in Atl. Maybe they are just working their way south.

Definitely the only one in SC and one of the few locations period. Dean & Deluca rarely opens stores and only has about 15 locations worldwide.

Their only locations period are....New York, DC, Charlotte, Napa Valley, Kansas City, Toyko, Dubai, Taipei, Kuwait and now Greenville.

This is huge for downtown Greenville! Dean & Deluca is to fresh food what Neimans is to clothing. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by gsupstate

Where is the Dean & Deluca going- which building?

This is definitely terrific!

I'd think that the costs of running a D&D in Greenville would be relatively low, due to low distribution costs (with Charlotte and its cluster of D&Ds close by) and low rent, compared to uptown Charlotte, and will it have any competition, really? (I view a downtown limited version D&D as serving a different customer need than a Woodruff Road Whole Foods or a Fresh Market.)

Sidenote: why doesn't Greenville yet have a Brooks Brothers?

Could this hurt The Cooks Station? That is a popular locally-owned shop already established in downtown.

Their full line stores in New York and even the one at Phillips Place in Charlotte focuses more on the best food as opposed to kithcen gadgets, etc. While they do have cookbooks, gadgets, espresso makers, etc, their main focus is simply the best fresh food....Wagyu beef, mounds and mounds of the freshest bake breads of all kinds, wonderful vegetables from all over the world, wine, great cheese selection, etc, etc. Could they hurt Cooks Station, maybe, but I would imagine they may actually help them more than hurt them, as it brings more serious gastronomes downtown. Depends on what kind of selection of food and merchandise this Dean & Deluca will have.

My favorite Dean & Deluca service is their corporate gift selections. I've been using them online for years to send holiday gifts to clients. They make some seriously beauiful gift packages of food for true foodies. :thumbsup:

Could this hurt The Cooks Station? That is a popular locally-owned shop already established in downtown.

No- I see the stores as too different.

Sidenote: more stores and restaurants downtown need to get listed on this downtown website, which is very good but not complete: