The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Purple International Bistro and Sushi is the name of the establishment going into the former Port City Java space in the FieldHouse at WestEnd building: http://www.greenvill...hMainStreet.pdf

that sign design makes me want to punch myself in the face. Papyrus font, really? Also, purple generally lights terribly at night. I hope this design is not idicative of the overall effort but into the restaurant, because there was none put into this.

that sign design makes me want to punch myself in the face. Papyrus font, really? Also, purple generally lights terribly at night. I hope this design is not idicative of the overall effort but into the restaurant, because there was none put into this.

lol! I like you, charlie swords!

Seriously, everyone please take a second and go delete Papyrus off of your computer. There is never a good reason to use it, especially not on anything you want to look professional.

And while you're at it, get rid of Comic Sans, too.

:)

Someone posted in the Columbia forum that their Main Street Dunkin Donuts has been scrapped due to bankruptcy issues. What is the state of Greenville's flagship Dunkin' location?? :dontknow:

Not that I have a definitive answer, but it's the same franchisee, Kainos Partners Holding Company LLC of Greer.

The Columbia Star newspaper recently reported: "The interior renovation construction project in the 1200 block of Main Street [in Columbia], where the sign used to say Dunkin’ Donuts, will never be completed as a Dunkin’ Donuts shop, as announced Tuesday, February 16." Meanwhile, The State is reporting that there are three DD stores that won't open in the Midlands. (The other two are in Red Bank and Northeast Richland.) All three were Kainos projects. In addition, the Main Street site is now featured on the Columbia Closings web site (http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=1294).

At the time of the Kainos Partners' bankruptcy last year, a spokesperson for Dunkin' Brands said, "[W]e want to assure our customers that we remain committed to the Buffalo, Greenville and Las Vegas markets." Another company spokesperson admitted that the planned time frames probably would change.

Kainos Partners had been the largest Dunkin' Donut franchisee in the Buffalo area, where they had planned to open 107 stores - yes, I said 107 stores. In fact, the franchisee had been named the Dunkin' Brands "Rising Star of the Year" for 2006 and "Developer of the Year" for 2007. Now, however, the company seems to have vanished, as indicated by the vacancy of their web site (www.kainospartners.com).

Given what is known about the state of the stores in the Columbia area, I seriously doubt that the downtown Greenville location will open, either. (At least not as currently planned.)

Edited by RiverWalker

Not that I have a definitive answer, but it's the same franchisee, Kainos Partners Holding Company LLC of Greer.

The Columbia Star newspaper recently reported: "The interior renovation construction project in the 1200 block of Main Street [in Columbia], where the sign used to say Dunkin’ Donuts, will never be completed as a Dunkin’ Donuts shop, as announced Tuesday, February 16." Meanwhile, The State is reporting that there are three DD stores that won't open in the Midlands. (The other two are in Red Bank and Northeast Richland.) All three were Kainos projects. In addition, the Main Street site is now featured on the Columbia Closings web site (http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=1294).

At the time of the Kainos Partners' bankruptcy last year, a spokesperson for Dunkin' Brands said, "[W]e want to assure our customers that we remain committed to the Buffalo, Greenville and Las Vegas markets." Another company spokesperson admitted that the planned time frames probably would change.

Kainos Partners had been the largest Dunkin' Donut franchisee in the Buffalo area, where they had planned to open 107 stores - yes, I said 107 stores. In fact, the franchisee had been named the Dunkin' Brands "Rising Star of the Year" for 2006 and "Developer of the Year" for 2007. Now, however, the company seems to have vanished, as indicated by the vacancy of their web site (www.kainospartners.com).

Given what is known about the state of the stores in the Columbia area, I seriously doubt that the downtown Greenville location will open, either. (At least not as currently planned.)

I read that same article. Didn't it state that all Upstate locations would be kept? Now if that means a "half completed" location, who knows. :dontknow:

I read that same article. Didn't it state that all Upstate locations would be kept? Now if that means a "half completed" location, who knows. :dontknow:

So far in the upstate they have closed Main St. in Spartanburg, Lyman, and White Horse Rd. in Greenville. There is one other at least as well that I know about but since I don't know if it has actually shut its doors yet I am not going to mention it.

Also, sad to see it but Loose Lucy's has a store closing sign up, :-(

Just thought I would let eveyone know that the new owner of Quickies name is UA. Seems like a nice guy and when I told him about all the nasty things getting said about his business he seemed really concerned. I would encourage anyone that would like to see changes to go down and talk to him instead of posting comments here that don't help improve anything. I think he would be happy to have some constructive criticism.

Just thought I would let eveyone know that the new owner of Quickies name is UA. Seems like a nice guy and when I told him about all the nasty things getting said about his business he seemed really concerned. I would encourage anyone that would like to see changes to go down and talk to him instead of posting comments here that don't help improve anything. I think he would be happy to have some constructive criticism.

People don't make negative comments about reputable businesses. I've never heard a single negative about Lazy Goat, Mast General, Kudzu, Trio, Addy's, Augusta 20, etc, etc......all reputable businesses. Maybe if Qwikee's owner brought it up to a reputable standard, people wouldn't make negative comments. Negative comments happen for a reason....it's called consumer feedback.

Edited by gsupstate

swu_BA_student's original comment is a valid one. If there are new owners who are genuinely interested in turning Qwikee's into a reputable business, constructive criticism is important, not simply negative comments. There is a difference between consumer feedback and being grouchy.

People don't make negative comments about reputable businesses. I've never heard a single negative about Lazy Goat, Mast General, Kudzu, Trio, Addy's, Augusta 20, etc, etc......all reputable businesses. Maybe if Qwikee's owner brought it up to a reputable standard, people wouldn't make negative comments. Negative comments happen for a reason....it's called consumer feedback.

swu_BA_student's original comment is a valid one. If there are new owners who are genuinely interested in turning Qwikee's into a reputable business, constructive criticism is important, not simply negative comments. There is a difference between consumer feedback and being grouchy.

I agree that constructive criticism is important for a business. I'd also expect any reputable business to get that feedback through friendly conversations with their customers and through a general sense of inquisitiveness about the business they own or in this case are buying. Had this owner done any upfront research, he might have found out the Qwikees name / store had not been well received by the community. Here is my constructive criticism....change the name to a more reputable name and hire some staff that actually seems to care about the business / has a work ethic and customer centric ethic.

Edited by gsupstate

For all you haters out there, I just stopped by Qwikees and there was a guy working I had not seen before. He was incredibly nice and talkative. He was not outside smoking and he greeted me right when I walked in. So yeah...maybe they're making a turn for the better under new ownership.

:lol: First time I've been called a hater for not liking a tacky retail store. But I guess this opens a whole list of options.....you don't like the look of a new development, you're a hater......don't like the food at a certain restaurant, you're a hater.......don't like the type of trees in a city park, you're a hater...... :lol:

Good for the new owner. There is certainly plenty of room to turn the store in a positive direction.

Edited by gsupstate

I actually think there is a slight need (too bad there isnt more but not enough residential downtown) for a New York style deli/convience store downtown, quickees could be that place, but they are far from it at this point. My guess is that the owners dont care or they would have invested more in the place, but that is just my guess. It should work itself out however, they will either improve to attract a wider range of clientelle outside of what they have today (such as winning over folks on this board) or go under when CVS comes to town.

I dont particulary like the gold place next door either, but in their (and Quickee's defense) that entire building has a terrible design with very awkward frontage. I think everystore that goes in that building is going to have a hard time living up to many of our standards of what a good store front should look like.

Having a cheesy mini mart, a "we buy gold" store, and a cheap massage parlor open up do signify a trend that I hope does not continue. GVL has worked hard to turn the downtown of the 70's into what it is today. These types of stores seem to me to be a move backwards and not forwards, but they are a sign of the time. We are in an economic downtown still.

On a side note, Ballew and Scott are closing their doors now as well.

Having a cheesy mini mart, a "we buy gold" store, and a cheap massage parlor open up do signify a trend that I hope does not continue.

There's a massage parlor openly plying their wares in downtown Greenville??? Or did you mean massage therapist? Those imply different things to me.

There's a massage parlor openly plying their wares in downtown Greenville??? Or did you mean massage therapist? Those imply different things to me.

Sunrise Day Spa, it's signage and name is reminiscent of a parlor, it may be perfectly fine on the interior, someone should go check it out, I dont know a soul who has stepped foot in there.

Sunrise Day Spa, it's signage and name is reminiscent of a parlor, it may be perfectly fine on the interior, someone should go check it out, I dont know a soul who has stepped foot in there.

Looking at http://www.sunrisedayspa.net/sunrisehealtheast/index.jsp it appears to be part of a small chain similar to Massage Envy. Their internet special is $45 for a 1-hour massage while Massage Envy's is $39/hr. That's more than I pay the massage therapist that I go to, but her place is a dump. The surroundings don't matter to me, though, since I'm there to get the kinks out of my neck and lower back from sitting at a computer all day, not for the green tea, facials and tinkling fountains. You don't have to pay an outlandish price for a good massage.

This appears to be a picture of their reception area -> http://www.facebook.com/people/Sunrise-Day-Spa/100000617687739

Had dinner last night at the new Sushi Koji on Main. Three thumbs up.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same great sushi they were known for at the Haywood Road location. The interior is FANTASTIC! Very upscale, intimate yet noisy in a good way, great lighting. There was an excellent crowd for a Weds night. Check it out. Another great addition to Main Street!

• 2 weeks later...

Having a cheesy mini mart, a "we buy gold" store, and a cheap massage parlor open up do signify a trend that I hope does not continue. GVL has worked hard to turn the downtown of the 70's into what it is today. These types of stores seem to me to be a move backwards and not forwards, but they are a sign of the time. We are in an economic downtown still.

I was in the "we buy gold" store today. The owner (?) told me that they're transitioning to a full music store, no more we buy gold. They'll have guitars, amps, plus all the regular accessories in front, plus some special stuff in the back area including guitar lessons. I didn't ask him what precipitated the change, but I think it's a great idea.

I was in the "we buy gold" store today. The owner (?) told me that they're transitioning to a full music store, no more we buy gold. They'll have guitars, amps, plus all the regular accessories in front, plus some special stuff in the back area including guitar lessons. I didn't ask him what precipitated the change, but I think it's a great idea.

Well that's a big change. Interesting.

Upscale sports bar/restaurant slated for 722/724 South Main Street in the West End. This is currently a vacant building. Live music from featured bands will be included. Dueling pianos that play against each other would also be featured. The owners are going after the High Cotton/Rick Erwin type of crowd that age 25-55 years of age. shades.gif