The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Surprisingly, nationwide, independent hard-copy bookstores are on the upswing and are opening again; this is just a reflection of the trend.  Digital bookselling isn't necessarily doing great; look at Barnes & Noble: the physical bookstores are doing OK and the Nook division is not.

I can't imagine it is a significant or sustainable upswing.  Too many people read books on their Kindle or iPad these days, and those who still read hardcopy books aren't going to brick and mortar bookstores as much as they are going online to order.  Borders went out of business for a reason.  Barnes & Noble is going out of business for a reason (despite devoting more and more space to the Nook).

I am an avid book reader. I tried reading on my iPad. No thanks. I want to feel the paper. Evidently, there are a lot of folks like me out there. Been to B&N lately. The place is packed. There is always a line of people, with real books in hand, to checkout.

Barnes & Noble is going out of business? Source? When does the liquidation sale begin? Their Haywood Road and Woodruff Road stores appear to still be open...go figure.

Over the last two years, Barnes & Noble has been closing an average of 20 stores a year.  It was perhaps drastic for me to say that B&N is going out of business, because they still have hundreds of stores.  But they are certainly struggling, and I don't see them turning it around anytime soon.

Has anyone other me read today's article about the guy opening a grocery store in the baby Bi-Lo. I don't think this guy has a clue what he's getting himself into. And the idea of a gas kiosk thing in the parking lot wont be a good idea. That parking lot is way to small. Look i understand he is trying to achieve the american dream but realistically speaking. His idea doesn't have a chance. And by the way. The last time someone tried to open a grocery store from scratch it didn't last.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Has anyone other me read today's article about the guy opening a grocery store in the baby Bi-Lo. I don't think this guy has a clue what he's getting himself into. And the idea of a gas kiosk thing in the parking lot wont be a good idea. That parking lot is way to small. Look i understand he is trying to achieve the american dream but realistically speaking. His idea doesn't have a chance. And by the way. The last time someone tried to open a grocery store from scratch it didn't last.

Every single grocery and retail store for that matter in existence started from scratch so I am not sure what you mean.

The two of you are coming from different points that aren't mutually exclusive.

Of course you don't need a franchise behind you to run a grocery store. If you know everything about the industry, and you don't need anything that a franchise has to offer, then you're all set. But if you don't know how the industry works, then your chances for success aren't pretty. Grocery stores work on hilariously slim margins, and I can imagine that wondering into the business like a puppy in traffic will end poorly.

It's the same in restaurants, if you assume that you can run one based purely on your cooking skill or work ethic without understanding management and purchasing decisions, then you're already set up for failure.

Not making any statement of opinion on this guy's prospect for success, just moderating. Proceed

Edited by Spes

^^ Maybe I did not articulate that as well as I should/could have. But yes, Spes, that is what I was talking about. There are such things as having a plan and have a good plan. To me when he said that it would cost him $8 million to purchase the property through the operation of the new supermarket, selling gas on the property, and proceeds from his other business says, " I am reaching I hope this will work. And with the proposed supermarket in the Stone and Main development and what's already there, Sav-a-Lot/Rite Aide. That may be some pretty stiff competition. Don't get me wrong. Everyone has the right to make a run at it. And agree with what he said in the article. Like everybody you don't know how far you can go 'til you try. I really hope he can make it work. But I will say this. BI-LO closed that store for a reason.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

I would really love a grocery store to work in this venue.  However, I have little faith in this owner.  Remember the crepe myrtle fiasco that resulted in him being forced to rip up parking spots and plant trees at significant expense?  If you can't keep on top of landscaping regs, keeping a grocery store afloat will be a long haul.

Edited by transplant08

Visited Orvis today about 1:00. The place was crowded and people were buying, including me. I was surprised at the nice selection and the prices. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. It is in a great location. Hoping it does well in Greenville. By the way, Mast was absolutely packed for its big 25% off sale. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed some place is now open in the old UPS location.

Isn't that Magnolia Scents (a candle shop)? I intended to stop in two weeks ago, but lost track of time and then completely forgot.

Sad to hear about Charlie's Steakhouse, but I haven't dined there in nearly two decades. It was more for steak "purists."