Norfolk International Airport

willy

Flights to Canada would be really fun, would love a direct to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, hell even Halifax. Hopefully Jet Blue flights to there would also open up flights to other locales with them. 

Feels like the fact they're putting money into building a new International Processing Building is a good sign for the likelihood of at least some international flights heading in soon

This airport is going to be unrecognizable in 5 years

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Did their numbers beat us last year? Also, with the way their year is turning out I wouldn't be so surprised if they did in fact beat/overcome our passenger numbers for the 2023 years. 

Congrats to all parties though. We beat our record last year, and I think thats all thats should matter at this time. Like I keep saying, RIC is over 100 miles away and it really shouldn't be seen as our main competitor. 

We did best them last year, yes.

16 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Can't wait to see all the celebrations going on in the Richmond forum when their numbers come in. They know they have beat us hahaha ...it makes their year.  

I don't need their negativity. I'm fine not comparing ourselves to Richmond when we're ahead and I will still not care about them if their passenger numbers for 2023 were higher than ours

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VBIllini13 said:

I don't need their negativity. I'm fine not comparing ourselves to Richmond when we're ahead and I will still not care about them if their passenger numbers for 2023 were higher than ours

The mere act of pointing out that THEY are obsessed with US in so much as they constantly make comparisons between ORF's and RIC's numbers is not tantamount to a desire on my part to compare the two, nor is it an attempt to share in their negativity. LOL. Far from it. We are who we are. We accept that. We are comfortable in our own skin.  We'll gladly play the underdog. And WE are not the ones with a chip on our shoulder. 

I don't understand this sibling rivalry RVA wants to have regarding the airports. If I'm not mistaken they've hit 4M before 2022, when ORF finally did. For years people drove to or from Richmond because they had better prices. Norfolk taking things to the next level shouldn't pose a threat to them at all.  I only wish we could've done this decades ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

The mere act of pointing out that THEY are obsessed with US in so much as they constantly make comparisons between ORF's and RIC's numbers is not tantamount to a desire on my part to compare the two, nor is it an attempt to share in their negativity. LOL. Far from it. We are who we are. We accept that. We are comfortable in our own skin.  We'll gladly play the underdog. And WE are not the ones with a chip on our shoulder. 

Yes! Sorry, wasn't trying to accuse you of trying to further this "rivalry." Haha

• Haha 1

ORF to finally become an International Airport starting with nonstop flights to the Caribbean plus much more this year.

"We’re hoping we can make that announcement sometime this year that we will begin service internationally to the Caribbean, but we haven’t given up on Europe either.”

https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-community/norfolk/4-major-projects-could-break-ground-at-norfolk-international-airport-in-2024-ceo?fbclid=IwAR1MLuno6ZLfxj13Rm7q05flwoCiYJc2o2yUVpmU1TdB83kNqjpsnzJ8cn0

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:26 PM, BFG said:

I don't understand this sibling rivalry RVA wants to have regarding the airports. If I'm not mistaken they've hit 4M before 2022, when ORF finally did. For years people drove to or from Richmond because they had better prices. Norfolk taking things to the next level shouldn't pose a threat to them at all.  I only wish we could've done this decades ago.

Its not just the airport. Its the cities. We have more beef with Richmond than (dare I say) Virginia Beach. I think rivalry is natural and healthy in a way to keep us motivated and happy for our own cities. However some of these things are kinda of ridiculous. I love Richmond, RIC is cool, and the area in general is fun but going back to when they called us a "annoying fly that wont go away" (You can find that in one of my many replies to them in the RIC forum) its just not good. 

Something went wrong somewhere and for some reason we have built this wall of rivals with our neighboring cities and cities 100 miles away...are we the problem? Speaking of that, I remember someone faintly telling me that we kinda of had a "big head" in Norfolk and we never realize it. Im not blaming anyone btw, im just more interested on why the heck we have these rival relations with people we should be working with. 

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Its not just the airport. Its the cities. We have more beef with Richmond than (dare I say) Virginia Beach. I think rivalry is natural and healthy in a way to keep us motivated and happy for our own cities. However some of these things are kinda of ridiculous. I love Richmond, RIC is cool, and the area in general is fun but going back to when they called us a "annoying fly that wont go away" (You can find that in one of my many replies to them in the RIC forum) its just not good. 

Something went wrong somewhere and for some reason we have built this wall of rivals with our neighboring cities and cities 100 miles away...are we the problem? Speaking of that, I remember someone faintly telling me that we kinda of had a "big head" in Norfolk and we never realize it. Im not blaming anyone btw, im just more interested on why the heck we have these rival relations with people we should be working with. 

Sounds like someone from Virginia Beach

• Haha 4

Frontier is opening a crew base in San Juan, PR and with this will begin flights from ORF to San Juan. I couldn't find the flight announcement but, messing around on their website it looks like it will begin in June. 

Screenshot_20240123_090816_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mintscraft56 said:

I know Puerto Rico is a US territory/colony. BUT this is basically an international flight sooooo i'll take it!

Exactly. I don’t think ORF has ever offered a flight outside the 50 states. Hell, I don’t even think we’ve offered Alaska or Hawaii so I love this. I’m sure it won’t be the last flight announcement we see this year.