Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

The distance between Pleasant Grove and Hwy 264 on I-540 is almost exactly 2 miles, which means there is just enough space theoritically for another interchange. I predict that a future developer that comes into that area will pressure the city (Rogers or Lowell, I forget the exact boundary) to try to pressue FHWA and AHTD for an interchange (if the current developers don't). That's what Pinnacle Group did for Perry Road, and it worked.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The distance between Pleasant Grove and Hwy 264 on I-540 is almost exactly 2 miles, which means there is just enough space theoritically for another interchange. I predict that a future developer that comes into that area will pressure the city (Rogers or Lowell, I forget the exact boundary) to try to pressue FHWA and AHTD for an interchange (if the current developers don't). That's what Pinnacle Group did for Perry Road, and it worked.

I admit, I hadn't thought of that.

Another interchange would help distribute the traffic a bit better. It would be ideal if the developers would pay for it. If not the arena group, whoever builds a big hotel or shopping center between the two exits.

You know, that area around Pinnacle is fairly flat, it's not Bella Vista or West LR. Why couldn't the streets have been built more on a grid?

HUGE article on page 1B (the opinion section) of today's Benton County Record about the Rogers and Springdale proposed arena complexes.

If I hadn't read deeper I'd have thought they were asking "Can NWA support baseball AND ECHL-D/WNBA/Arena football" (and maybe they were indeed doing so) but it seemed like they were asking a logical question of "Can the metro area support two arenas?"

Still, sometimes I get the feeling that these writers are still in a world of 20 years ago: "Hey, everyone! Let's go get a malt at the Hi-D-Ho and then go watch a Razorback game!" (No offense intended to Razorback fans.)

HUGE article on page 1B (the opinion section) of today's Benton County Record about the Rogers and Springdale proposed arena complexes.

If I hadn't read deeper I'd have thought they were asking "Can NWA support baseball AND ECHL-D/WNBA/Arena football" (and maybe they were indeed doing so) but it seemed like they were asking a logical question of "Can the metro area support two arenas?"

Still, sometimes I get the feeling that these writers are still in a world of 20 years ago: "Hey, everyone! Let's go get a malt at the Hi-D-Ho and then go watch a Razorback game!" (No offense intended to Razorback fans.)

FWIW, coming to the Wal-Mart Supercenter off Pleasant Grove road from the south, one can now see:

- A rudimentary road carved out and a few pieces of construction equipment (one backhoe, a couple other items) where the arena will be. I know its not the arena yet, but something's being worked there.

- On the west side of I-540 at that point, there's a line of large pipe parallel to the interstate that comes in (or goes out) toward the west/northwest. This pipe's big enough and there's so much of it that when you drive south on the interstate from the Pleasant Grove intersection the line of it looks almost like a unit grain, or tank car train viewed from the side. Not surprisingly, development's being prepared for on that side, too.

As has been said before, when that area of the metroplex fills in we'll REALLY see how big this area has become.

- On the west side of I-540 at that point, there's a line of large pipe parallel to the interstate that comes in (or goes out) toward the west/northwest. This pipe's big enough and there's so much of it that when you drive south on the interstate from the Pleasant Grove intersection the line of it looks almost like a unit grain, or tank car train viewed from the side. Not surprisingly, development's being prepared for on that side, too.

As has been said before, when that area of the metroplex fills in we'll REALLY see how big this area has become.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to disappoint all of you, but the pipe you see along 540 near Pleasant Grove Road is the new 48" waterline that the City of Bentonville is contstructing from Beaver Lake to SW Bentonville at a cost of almost $20 million. Project to be complete late spring.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived