Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe but if you're on the upper floors of the deck it may take an hour to get down for a real event.

Of course minor league sports with 2000 or less people attending them won't present much of a challenge. I would expect concerts that fill it to capacity to cause hellacious problems.

Me neither, but maybe a different angle would show something.

Also, you need a parking garage no matter what, otherwise you have a huge, huge lot taking up all kinds of space or not enough space and people parking everywhere (ever try to park for a Cubs game in Chicago? :) )

I prefer the parking deck option.

Having a parking deck leaves more adjacent land for future development of other attractions and even housing.

Think longterm, people. Do we want an arena in an asphalt field, or do we want an entertainment complex/ multiuse destination?

Getting out of huge parking lots versus getting out of parking garages really isn't that much different. Its all a function of the number of points of exit and the surrounding infrastructure anyway.

I prefer the parking deck option.

Having a parking deck leaves more adjacent land for future development of other attractions and even housing.

Think longterm, people. Do we want an arena in an asphalt field, or do we want an entertainment complex/ multiuse destination?

Getting out of huge parking lots versus getting out of parking garages really isn't that much different. Its all a function of the number of points of exit and the surrounding infrastructure anyway.

Agreed. Pleasant Crossing has very little infrastructure as it is and unless that little 2-lane road cutting through Pleasant Crossing is widened to at least 5-lanes it'll be a joke getting out of there after a game or concert. Let's not forget there's a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Tuscany Square, Walgreens and a Home Depot at the intersection of Pleasant Crossing and Pleasant Grove Road. Add those thousands of cars on a weekend to the mix. Add more restaurants, retailers, hotels and whatever and it would be beyond any nightmare. Maybe a vast asphalt field would be better.

Home Depot isn't in Pleasant Crossing. :P

There's adequate infastructure at Pleasant Crossing. They have several 5 lane roads throughout the development, as well as double turn lane traffic lights. You are right that they need to widen the overpass. The bond program that Rogers passed should help pay for that. I'm not sure when it will start though. I know where I'll be parking once the arena is built. There's a relatively large parking lot for Sportsman's Warehouse that's relatively empty that runs along Pleasant Crossing Blvd. You can get in and out real quickly.

Even without Home Depot there will be a monstrous bottleneck at the I-540/Pleasant Grove interchange before and after a game or concert. There really needs to be a way out of there to the south. They're going to need to have a connection to I-540/Hwy 264 to the south in Lowell. They also need to widen 26th Street from Pleasant Crossing north to New Hope Road. That would be the ideal infrastructure needed for this to be successful. They wouldn't really need to widen the overpasses that way either, but that would help.

Archived