Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$67 million just for the arena at 11,000 sounds more reasonable. You have to wonder why they would pay $7 million extra to add the option of expanding by just 1500. Just build the 12,500 seat arena now instead.

I feel the same way. Its only 1500 more......what a waste of time it would be to do it in the future. The 11,000 figure doesn't include the 22-16 seat skyboxes and the 1300 bleacher seats for the MSU band and students. So with the 11,000 plus the skyboxes and bleachers it comes to 12,650. Then when they add the 1500 (stupid idea) it will bring that to 14,150 that is if it gets completely sold out. Pretty stupid to put bleachers there if you ask me but the students asked for it. The actual "chair" seating will be in a horshoe shape and the student bleachers will be at the end to fill in that gap. Another reason they put the student seats there is for when they play home games it creates a wall of screaming MSU fan's to really intimidate the other teams.

Another thing that really excites me is how they designed the arena to hold awesome concerts as well. The student bleachers at the top of the horshoe will be able to retract so the stage can be at the top of the horshoe and all of the other 11,000 plus skyboxes can be utilized......pretty freakin clever if you ask me.

I feel the same way. Its only 1500 more......what a waste of time it would be to do it in the future. The 11,000 figure doesn't include the 22-16 seat skyboxes and the 1300 bleacher seats for the MSU band and students. So with the 11,000 plus the skyboxes and bleachers it comes to 12,650. Then when they add the 1500 (stupid idea) it will bring that to 14,150 that is if it gets completely sold out. Pretty stupid to put bleachers there if you ask me but the students asked for it. The actual "chair" seating will be in a horshoe shape and the student bleachers will be at the end to fill in that gap. Another reason they put the student seats there is for when they play home games it creates a wall of screaming MSU fan's to really intimidate the other teams.

Another thing that really excites me is how they designed the arena to hold awesome concerts as well. The student bleachers at the top of the horshoe will be able to retract so the stage can be at the top of the horshoe and all of the other 11,000 plus skyboxes can be utilized......pretty freakin clever if you ask me.

It sounds like a really nice arena, post some pictures of it once it's built. Where is it going to be in relation to the campus and downtown?

All that was approved at the City Council meeting was an ordinance allowing the developer to use tax free municipal bonds for water, sewer and street infrastructure. There is no impact on the taxes paid or the city finances. This is not a TIF district.

The interest from the WNBA and NBA are real.

• 1 month later...

There's going to be a media conference at 10 am today at the Rogers City Hall about the arena. The conference is about the arena and the potential WNBA franchise for which the group has been in negotiations with the league for the last couple of months.

Chris Talley, one of the investors, said the group has secured the naming rights for the team but would not release any information until today. Talley also said two major northwest Arkansas companies (Could it be Wal-Mart and Tyson :rolleyes: ), also unnamed, have committed to purchasing 1, 000 season tickets for the WNBA: 500 tickets for both the ECHL hockey and NBA D-League teams proposed for the venue. As well, commitments have also been made for 10 of the 40 luxury boxes that will be a part of the arena.

Another good thing I've been hearing about the arena is that it is being designed with the intent of expanding to an upper deck, above the luxury boxes. Rendering have also been released, so one of us needs to find them and post.

I changed the name of the thread to Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena. Also, has anyone else from any other media outlets besides the Morning News about this development?

Also, anyone still think that there will be the 16 Screen Movie theatre, the bowling alley, parking deck, and movie/recording studio?

Archived