Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Downtown New Orleans, one of the densest CBD's in the nation:

i hate to ask this, because i think people who see the world only through quantitative eyes are tools - but i really am curious...is that a casual observation, or are you referring to some...quantitative measurement of density? office space / retail / residents, etc...?

again, i'm really not trying to be that guy - i'm all for saying something just because it seems that way, and i hate it when people talk about anecdotal observation like it's a bad thing. most of my posts on UP are pure observation and lack factual info, and i think that's what makes a forum interesting - seeing others' impressions of places / things, etc.

but i am a little surprised to learn that the CBD is among the very densest in the u.s.

i just wondered if it seems that way to you, or if you read it, heard it, etc.

i apologize too much! lol....

*edit* oh, and kickass pic of that CBD! can't wait to go back!

Edited by convulso

Doesn't Thomasville have a big rocking chair or something downtown? And are the buildings downtown still lit up like it's Christmas? LOL

Yep Yep. The chair is just across the street from where I took the fountain pic and the flowers were actually surrounding the Big Chair. O and yes they still have the building's outlined at night, which looks lamer and lamer to me every time I ride threw. I'll probley post a few more of the pics I took over in the Triad forum a little later.

Edited by Noneck_08

but i am a little surprised to learn that the CBD is among the very densest in the u.s.

Observation, just from spending 18 years in New Orleans' CBD and comparing it to cities like Miami, Chicago, and San Francisco, all known for their central density, and cities that I have spent quite a bit of time in. Of course I have also talked to many others who have said the same thing, and have looked into it a bit. I might be wrong if you looked at the raw numbers, but I'm pretty sure about it.

The infamous "Busted Plug" statue/fountain in downtown Columbia:

bustedplug.jpg

Wow, obviously I was gone that day, and have never even heard of this. I'm guessing the rubble and debris at the base of the statue are part of the piece, but what about the white construction barrier?

^ Very very cool, will have to try out my camera on some sunset shots, any particular custom settings used?

Haha, it was either in "simple" or "macro". If it's darker outside, "macro" captures the details better and puts a little more boldness on the clouds. But, I made it more red on the PC, so, yea. The original picture was more purple.

Some of you may not know it, but only half of "New Orleans' famous Bourbon Street" is actually "famous." Bourbon is known for clubs, bars, alcohol, partying, etc., but the "secret" that doesn't escape New Orleans too often is the fact that 7 of Bourbon's 14 blocks are completely residential. That's right, half of Bourbon Street is a very quiet, very gay, residential area. Not too many people know that it seems, especially the part about Bourbon being a center of the homosexual population in the Quarter.

Here are some photos from that "other" side of Bourbon, the one you never see:

467418648_d4934c3a77_b.jpg

467432219_a812ab8e5f_b.jpg

467419890_844198f2d7_b.jpg

467421266_4d03aeb236_b.jpg

:lol: NCB, that stretch of Bourbon Streets reminds me of what is affectionately referred to by the gay community as "Homo Flats" in West Los Angeles above Santa Monica Blvd.

Krazee, Greenville really must be a special place. I love all the pictures you and others post of the city.

Edited by burt