Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Great shots of Virginia's Capital City TommyUrban :thumbsup: That's the coolest looking pedestrian bridge I have ever seeN. That's a pretty river with the rapids. Richmond has an impressive skyline!

Also nice pics of Charlotte with the modern crowns! The more I see of Columbia, the more I like! And Greenville is a must see next time I'm in the area.

Great shots of the Crescent City Nate. You represent New Orleans nicely. :thumbsup: Very unique architecture too! And thanks for adding the Baton Rouge pic. Sorry I have not posted any recent pics of BR.

Edited by richyb83

I'm going to get told to "take this to the photography thread", but is this photoshopped at all, and if not, with what specifics did you shoot this?

No photoshopping at all. Just used some custom white balance settings to get the interesting lighting effects. I don't have the specs in front of me as they're on a different computer, but I can certainly get a hold of them.

Really like that shot, byrde! A great looking building in downtown Baton Rouge. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments guys! ;)

The more I see of Columbia, the more I like! And Greenville is a must see next time I'm in the area.

SC has much more of offer than our alluring coast; more and more people are beginning to realize that.

I look forward to your Baton Rouge shots. I haven't really been able to get a "feel" for the city, so I'm hoping your pics will help with that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments guys! ;)

SC has much more of offer than our alluring coast; more and more people are beginning to realize that.

I look forward to your Baton Rouge shots. I haven't really been able to get a "feel" for the city, so I'm hoping your pics will help with that. :thumbsup:

Columbia should be busy tonight with the debate being aired Nationally. Any pix of the building in which it is being held?

Great photos from both of you! Krazee, I'm just curious, how would you describe the similarities between Greenville and Columbia? I'm just asking because both cities seem to look quite similar and offer similar draws with their "Main Street's" and parks.

Here's another shot from downtown Baton Rouge:

348203685_24fbfc21fc_b.jpg

Well, the two cities are definitely laid out differently with Columbia adhering to the typical grid layout (as it was one of the nation's first planned cities) while Greenville doesn't do so as much. At present, Greenville's Main Street is definitely more of a draw than Columbia's, and many of Greenville's downtown attractions are along or connected to Main which allows for more of a concentrated urban experience. Columbia is starting to see more and more investment along Main, and the second half of the streetscaping project should start this summer. Columbia's downtown is more district-oriented, with a lot of infill going on that will facilitate a faster connection of those districts. As far as parks go, Greenville's signature park, Falls Park, has the advantage of having the Reedy River run right through it, and you'll often see people playing in it, as its small size allows for that. Columbia's current signature park, Finlay Park, has the large fountain that provides a water featue; however, a new park will soon be under construction along the riverfront in connection with USC's downtown research campus (you can view renderings of the park here, here, and here). I find the greatest amount of similarity to occur between Greenville's historic West End District (photos courtesy of forumer RestedTraveler) and Columbia's historic Congaree Vista District; both have a plethora of older commercial and industrial buildings that have been converted to retail and restaurant spaces and art galleries. The two cities do share a lot of similarities though, more than some from both cities would care to acknowledge. ;)

That's a great shot of DT Baton Rouge; it shows off a density I haven't seen in previous shots. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the info, Krazee! Much appreciated! As someone who's not very familiar with either of those cities, I was just curious if someone familiar with both cities saw the same similarities I've seen just from looking through photos. :thumbsup:

BTW, great photo from you, Gville! Looks like there are some beautiful homes in the Hampton-Pinckney district!

^I was wondering if anyone even noticed! :) Thanks.

I'm trying to remember what I saw and/or heard on TV recently about Orangeburg. I watch a lot of Forensic Files and it may have had something to do with a murder or missing person.

Anyway, it's a clean, spacious, livable looking town. Thanks for sharing, Krazee.

OH. I remember! Wasn't a recent Presidential Candidate debate held there?

Edited by burt

I'm trying to remember what I saw and/or heard on TV recently about Orangeburg. I watch a lot of Forensic Files and it may have had something to do with a murder or missing person.

Anyway, it's a clean, spacious, livable looking town. Thanks for sharing, Krazee.

OH. I remember! Wasn't a recent Presidential Candidate debate held there?

Yep, that would be it. The first Democratic presidential candidate debate for next year's election was held on the campus of South Carolina State University in Orangeburg. I don't think the city has ever gotten so much national press at one time (at least positive press).