Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Very nice to see the downtown Raleigh photos! :shades:

Downtown Greenville was buzzing this past weekend with the filming of "Leatherheads." Really though, pedestrian traffic was not noticeably higher (there are always lots of people enjoying downtown Greenville on any beautiful day), but there was a group of fans watching and waiting behind the caution tape all day. I saw George Clooney in one scene in the afternoon, as well as Michael York (in town for a broadway musical) walking along Main Street. I did not notice Rene Zellweger (that I knew of anyway).

Here are a couple shots from yesterday evening in downtown:

LeatherheadsHotel_02.jpg

LeatherheadsHotel_03.jpg

A handful from Elvis Presley Avenue and its world-famous Municipal Auditorium, home to the Louisiana Hayride radio show, which once was rivaled ONLY by the Grand Ole Opry. The ever-so-famous phrase, "Elvis has left the building," was first spoken in this very building by announcer Frank Page.

After I took the following photos and got into my car to drive away, a woman pulled up, got out of her car, and started snapping photos. This is undoubtedly one of Shreveport's most photographed - and most historical - landmarks.

Aside from Elvis, Hank Williams was also a regular on the Louisiana Hayride. Most people don't realize this, but Hank Williams, Jr. was actually born in Bossier City... in the neighborhood that now borders the Louisiana Boardwalk. Country music legend David Houston was also from Bossier City.

412241166_018502a5df.jpg

412255926_a0caaa8242.jpg

412252165_628914d797.jpg

412207028_b975e3201e.jpg

412192981_4cf5e95710.jpg

412200720_8f2d255992.jpg

412207026_74c5abbc52.jpg

412189818_0a7f9dea4d.jpg

Terrific shots, NYT. In the third foto, is the building in the background a theatre?

I really think the first pic is special. :)

That is the Wyche Pavilion, part of The Peace Center for the Performing Arts. It was originally built as a stage coach factory, and is now a popular place for weddings, parties, and various public events. When not in use, it is open to the public. Located in an adjacent old building, Larkin's on the River provides catering for the venue.

There is a fantanstic photo album of last year's Southern Exposure food, wine, and music festival, which includes nice shots from inside and outside the Wyche Pavilion. Click here for the photo gallery.

Edited by Skyliner