Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Very nice shot indeed! The light seems so real! :shades:

Thanks. :D

That's a nice pic Mith. Is that Fayetteville's tallest building ?

Yeah actually it is. For now that is. Work is supposed to start in a month or so for another building downtown. But Fayetteville probably isn't going to get too much of a skyline. They have rather restrictive building codes including building heights in much of the city.

The old State Capital in Baton Rouge built in 1850.

I believe I've seen you post this pic before. But I'll comment again anyway. It really is a nice pic. The angle of the sun really gives it an interesting look. :thumbsup:

Awesome photos guys :thumbsup:

Skyliner, how is that bridge held up? It looks like it has support poles but then it has cables too, is it more of a suspension type bridge?

It's a suspension bridge, but what makes it so unique and an engineering feat, is that it is only support on one side... :thumbsup:

My photos just don't do the Liberty Bridge justice. It is such an awesome iconic piece of art.

Another from Court Square in downtown Greenville. The building in the center is the old Greenville County Courthouse, which now is home to a fantastic design group and a destination spa. :shades:

CourtSquare_03.jpg

The intersection of Tryon and Trade Streets in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina:

172971686_e3e1cef60f_b.jpg

Four giant sculptures by Raymond Kaskey mark the corners of the intersection. These statues represent Transportation, Future, Commerce, and Industry.

Transportation is represented by a railroad worker holding a hammer in his hand.

The figure of a woman holding a child represents the Future of the city.

Commerce is symbolized by a gold miner spilling money on the head of a banker. The face of the banker is modeled after Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan.

Industry is represented by a woman in a bonnet, symbolizing the mills and early industry of the area. The child peeking from her skirt suggests past child labor.

It's a suspension bridge, but what makes it so unique and an engineering feat, is that it is only support on one side... :thumbsup:

FYI, the American Society of Civil Engineers designates a "Project of the Year" each year that represents extrodinary feats in engineering. I'm not sure the specific critera for the award, but a detailed package must be submitted. This years winner was the Saluda Dam Remediation Project in Columbia, SC. I'd post a pic but don't have one. The Liberty Bridge at Falls Park in Greenville, the new Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, the Neutrinos at the Main Injector (NuMI) Project in Batavia, Ill. and Soudan, Minn., and the Bridge Apollo in Bratislava, Slovakia round out the top 5 finalist for the award. South Carolina had 3 of the 5 finalist for the International Award. Pretty impressive.

http://www.asce.org/pressroom/news/display...ss.cfm?uid=2569

The intersection of Tryon and Trade Streets in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina:

172971686_e3e1cef60f_b.jpg

Four giant sculptures by Raymond Kaskey mark the corners of the intersection. These statues represent Transportation, Future, Commerce, and Industry.

Transportation is represented by a railroad worker holding a hammer in his hand.

The figure of a woman holding a child represents the Future of the city.

Commerce is symbolized by a gold miner spilling money on the head of a banker. The face of the banker is modeled after Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan.

Industry is represented by a woman in a bonnet, symbolizing the mills and early industry of the area. The child peeking from her skirt suggests past child labor.

That is awesome. What a unique thing to do with an intersection. That's uptown? Interesting.

...The Liberty Bridge at Falls Park in Greenville, the new Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, the Neutrinos at the Main Injector (NuMI) Project in Batavia, Ill. and Soudan, Minn., and the Bridge Apollo in Bratislava, Slovakia round out the top 5 finalist for the award. South Carolina had 3 of the 5 finalist for the International Award. Pretty impressive.

http://www.asce.org/pressroom/news/display...ss.cfm?uid=2569

The Liberty Bridge has already won a distiguished international award for architectural engineering, so it is only adding to its iconic status by being considered among the best. :thumbsup:

Check out this shot of mine from Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park. I found a bird walking around in these little ponds and rapids set up on one side of the park.

173443886_6996affb69_b.jpg

One of the last pictures I took before my camera temporarily malfunctioned (it's working fine now, though).

FYI, the American Society of Civil Engineers designates a "Project of the Year" each year that represents extrodinary feats in engineering. I'm not sure the specific critera for the award, but a detailed package must be submitted. This years winner was the Saluda Dam Remediation Project in Columbia, SC...

Pictures of the Saluda Dam Remediation Project can be found here. It appeared as though it was quite an undertaking.

Check out this shot of mine from Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park. I found a bird walking around in these little ponds and rapids set up on one side of the park.

173443886_6996affb69_b.jpg

One of the last pictures I took before my camera temporarily malfunctioned (it's working fine now, though).

Wow, that's an awesome photo! Very good camera work as usual, IC! :thumbsup: