Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

The interchange of the Florida Turnpike (AKA "Main Street FLA"), Florida Toll Road 429 (AKA "The Western Greenway"), and State Road 50 (AKA "Colonial Drive") in Orlando:

175898254_9ad1ffb268_b.jpg

It's nice to see one of these stacks somewhere other than South Florida, for a change.

I see you're back in your old stomping grounds, RT. Having fun in the FLA heat? :P

How about a little urban grit?

A jumble of old buildings just outside of downtown Shreveport. In this photo are numerous dilapidated buildings, many of which are literally falling apart. There is an old rail depot in the foreground (railroad tracks are to the rear and not visible in this photo) and an old parking garage in the background with vines growing up and down it. The taller building in the far background has had some huge cracks which have been repaired.

160286262.jpg

In this photo you can clearly see the huge cracks which have been repaired on this building...

160286274.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

It is very sad to see so many old buildings left to fall apart. :cry:

Here is another example of a way to reclaim the old and create an urban haven at the same time. This is the Wyche Pavilion in downtown Greenville, which was also once a vacant and dilapidated old cotton mill. It has since hosted luncheons with the President of the United States present. Pretty nice turnaround, right? :shades:

ReedyRiver_03.jpg

Check out this shot of mine from Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park. I found a bird walking around in these little ponds and rapids set up on one side of the park.

173443886_6996affb69_b.jpg

One of the last pictures I took before my camera temporarily malfunctioned (it's working fine now, though).

Here is another shot of the same bird I took moments before the above shot.

176658655_fa9a540ae0_b.jpg

Like I said, my camera malfunctioned soon after these shots were taken, but it is working smoothly now.

Edited by ironchapman

^Wow, those are both some fantastic photos, IC! Great job! :thumbsup:

Here's one of my photos from Washington D.C.(it's Southern...technically)

D.C. has some of the most tame squirrels I have ever seen. I used some zoom, but I was really only about 3 feet away from this guy when I took the picture. It's not urban, but plenty of those will come soon.

IMG_4811border.jpg

^Wow, those are both some fantastic photos, IC! Great job! :thumbsup:

Here's one of my photos from Washington D.C.(it's Southern...technically)

D.C. has some of the most tame squirrels I have ever seen. I used some zoom, but I was really only about 3 feet away from this guy when I took the picture. It's not urban, but plenty of those will come soon.

IMG_4811border.jpg

Wow, Nate, cool shot! :D

A thunderstorm that encroached on Downtown Orlando and Lake Eola Park just this evening:

176734689_93b157d869_b.jpg

This photo is awesome for many reasons, but the main one (in my opinion) is the gorgeous buildings. To be quite honest, aside from Disney, I've never seen any photos of Orlando's skyline. Amazing. I really do want to visit that area sometime. Growing up poor, I never got to go to Disney. Boy the things I have to make up for in my life. :D

Thanks for posting that, RT.

Great photos, Jerseyman4 and gsupstate!

Thanks, Brian! You should check out some of the photos on the Orlando Weekly Update thread. I can't even begin to approach some of those gems. The skyline in Orlando has seen a bit of a boom since I moved away back in 2001. I'm heading downtown again today after work if the weather is looking cooperative. :thumbsup: