Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

I LOVE these pics of Greenville. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

RT, that pic you just oposted is awesome. Really gives meaning to the word "Greenville"

Here's one of my favorites by myself of Atlanta. I took this from a parking garage a few weeks ago.

View from the Parking Garage

150799154_df521cce05_b.jpg

See more in this thread

Edited by ironchapman

Awesome shots RestedTraveler and Ironchapman :D

I love the photos of Greenville, it's such a photogenic city :D

I always thought Atlanta's Fairlie-Poplar area was read as Fairly Popular :lol: I suppose it is though, its beautiful!

Keep em' comin guys!

Many thanks, Tburban :)

Here, try this out from that thread I mentioned:

150829661_a2f381d82a_b.jpg

^^There seemed to be a lot of people at the festival.

Just curious Brian, did Minden start off as a suburb or was it already an established town before Shreveport was very large?

Thanks for the question, Rod. Strangely enough, Minden and Shreveport were both established as towns in the same year, 1836. Obviously with Shreveport being the port city, it had an advantage that Minden didn't. Minden sits nearly 30 miles east of downtown Shreveport, but only 15 miles east of where I live. It actually seems a lot closer to the city today than it probably did in 1836, because Bossier City and Haughton have both expanded east toward it. Minden isn't a traditional "suburb" and the people in that town even fight that title, but over the years Minden has taken on a lot of people who chose not to live in Shreveport-Bossier but would rather commute in daily. I've read somewhere before that around 25% of the people in Minden commute into Shreveport-Bossier to work every day. Minden has become a suburb out of necessity, basically, the same way the west Shreveport border town of Greenwood has. One thing I've noticed, though, is these old, established, historic towns love to fight the term "suburb."

FYI: the town was actually named for an established town in Germay named Minden, and to this day there is still an area of Minden, Louisiana, called Germantown, where the original German settlement was.

Thanks for the question, Rod. Strangely enough, Minden and Shreveport were both established as towns in the same year, 1836. Obviously with Shreveport being the port city, it had an advantage that Minden didn't. Minden sits nearly 30 miles east of downtown Shreveport, but only 15 miles east of where I live. It actually seems a lot closer to the city today than it probably did in 1836, because Bossier City and Haughton have both expanded east toward it. Minden isn't a traditional "suburb" and the people in that town even fight that title, but over the years Minden has taken on a lot of people who chose not to live in Shreveport-Bossier but would rather commute in daily. I've read somewhere before that around 25% of the people in Minden commute into Shreveport-Bossier to work every day. Minden has become a suburb out of necessity, basically, the same way the west Shreveport border town of Greenwood has. One thing I've noticed, though, is these old, established, historic towns love to fight the term "suburb."

FYI: the town was actually named for an established town in Germay named Minden, and to this day there is still an area of Minden, Louisiana, called Germantown, where the original German settlement was.

Yeah I've seen that happen before. In the past the towns weren't that close to each other but over time one eventually becomes a bigger city and grow all the way over to the other. Also interesting on the name because I thought the name seemed German sounding. Brian, is Cross Lake close to this town? Just trying to figure out if there's a link between these pics and that pic of the house with German on it that you posted in the Louisiana forum.

Yeah I've seen that happen before. In the past the towns weren't that close to each other but over time one eventually becomes a bigger city and grow all the way over to the other. Also interesting on the name because I thought the name seemed German sounding. Brian, is Cross Lake close to this town? Just trying to figure out if there's a link between these pics and that pic of the house with German on it that you posted in the Louisiana forum.

I actually wondered that when you told me that was written in German on that house. There are still quite a few German people left around here, so the people who built that house on the lake could have originally lived in Germantown.

Minden is actually closer to 35+ miles from Cross Lake, as the crow files, since Cross Lake is a few miles northwest of downtown Shreveport.

Here, I'll attach a map from Google Earth with placemarks showing you where these locations are. For reference, I've drawn lines from my house to my office showing that distance.

post-9805-1150682210_thumb.jpg

Gallery 5 in Richmond around Christmas 05... art gallery in what was an old Fire Station...

Steamer Co. No 5 was built in 1849 and is one of the oldest standing firehouses in the country.

Richmond12-28-2005011.jpg

Just across the street.. the Richmond Dairy Building, now turned into Apartments:

Richmond12-28-2005012.jpg

Richmond12-28-2005010.jpg

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I actually wondered that when you told me that was written in German on that house. There are still quite a few German people left around here, so the people who built that house on the lake could have originally lived in Germantown.

Minden is actually closer to 35+ miles from Cross Lake, as the crow files, since Cross Lake is a few miles northwest of downtown Shreveport.

Here, I'll attach a map from Google Earth with placemarks showing you where these locations are. For reference, I've drawn lines from my house to my office showing that distance.

post-9805-1150682210_thumb.jpg

Okay, so not too particularly close, but still close enough I guess to be in the 'German influenced' area of Louisiana.

Gallery 5 in Richmond around Christmas 05... art gallery in what was an old Fire Station...

Steamer Co. No 5 was built in 1849 and is one of the oldest standing firehouses in the country.

Just across the street.. the Richmond Dairy Building, now turned into Apartments:

Those are some interesting buildings. :D