210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'd guess none of the spaces had the right volume for a brewery. You typically need large open spaces and high ceilings, like the warehouses in South End.

I’m not sure how big Suite or Bubble or whatever those club spaces were, but if Burial can make 2600sf in the old Boris and Natasha work, then I feel like there has to be at least one space at Epicentre that would be suitable.   If the club scene died a slow death and breweries are what’s drawing people now, then why fight it?  Give the people what they want.  Plus I feel like that brewery vibe clicks a lot better with the bowling alley and even movie theater.   The synergies just seem to be more compatible.  That whole enterprise went from Myrtle Beach/quasi Miami to zero with no in between.   And it was sticky too.  

It is my understanding the whole complex is basically  a condo.  some common elements are owned together the parking garage.  Remember there are 3 hotels there that will stay in any redevelopment if there is one.  I wish someone could add some apartments atop some of it and it can be just 4-5 stories of them if it is engineered to take that kind of load.  Brewery sounds like a good idea.  and as someone said what about a rooftop beer garden?  But as with many retail centers I think adding residential would really help. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I’m not sure how big Suite or Bubble or whatever those club spaces were, but if Burial can make 2600sf in the old Boris and Natasha work, then I feel like there has to be at least one space at Epicentre that would be suitable.   If the club scene died a slow death and breweries are what’s drawing people now, then why fight it?  Give the people what they want.  Plus I feel like that brewery vibe clicks a lot better with the bowling alley and even movie theater.   The synergies just seem to be more compatible.  That whole enterprise went from Myrtle Beach/quasi Miami to zero with no in between.   And it was sticky too.  

Whoever takes the Suite location will have the best outdoor space in the whole complex.  They have a fantastic rooftop outdoor patio space, which would add to the brewery vibe.  Could market it as Charlotte's first rooftop brewery.  

Is Alive After Five a thing of the past now too?  Those were always pretty popular and boosted the area with business.

• Like 3

It's probably been explained before, but the Epicenter caught a tough break from day one. It opened on the eve of an economic recession, and right as talks were ramping up for a rebranding in 2020, the pandemic came tearing through. I was pretty young, but as far as I was aware, the initial intention was for a higher end retail and restaurant scene, but it came down to either having half the complex vacant, or taking what you could get. The mistake, IMO, was not booting out some of the more problematic tenants when times were good, clubs made money and the lost sight of the original goal. The only option at this point is rebranding, and remodeling, there's too much connected infrastructure to do otherwise. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Burial won't be brewing beer in that space so none of the typical production dimensions apply. But, to your point it could serve as a great space for a brewery's satellite tap room.  The ownership group would have to have a real marketing strategy to go out and get those businesses and from what I can see that group couldn't manage to keep the place in proper repair(temporary plywood stair repairs that were left to rot for years, completely abandoned landscaping and filthy walls and floors).

To me this is a story of either incompetence, "penny wise/pound foolish" or both.

• Like 2

Good point as there is a big talk about about big entertainment district around the stadium existing spot or new one but here is a venue that has WAY more events and there is no real entertainment district or whatever around it.  I would agrue greater uptown benefits of course but all this talk about an entertainment district around a stadium that stays empty far more than this venue needs to be met with skepticism.   If Mr Tepper wants an entertainment district perhaps he should partner with Mr Michael Jordan on one nearby the Spectrum Center. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Our arena surroundings are severely under utilized.  You would think there'd be a lot more development surrounding Spectrum center.  The biggest catalyst that will help that entire area is a CTC redevelopment.  The potential renderings look promising and game-changing, however, it needs to happen sooner rather than later.  Brevard St is essentially a blank canvas.  

For years, I've wondered why the retail spots at the bottom of the parking deck next to the Spring Hill Suites stayed vacant. Thought that would be the perfect spot for some kind of cheap beer dive bar type of joint.  It would kill before and after events, much like QCQ did before it shut down b/c of Covid. Just noticed that there is now an Axe throwing venue there now. Is that new? If so, perhaps that would jump start a few more places. 

44 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Just curious, but can someone direct me to a list of arena or stadium-linked entertainment districts that have been successful?  I'dexact like to check them out, and also get a better handle on what exactly makes up an entertainment district.

The Battery in suburban Cumberland outside of Atlanta for the Braves has been very successful. 

LA Live at Staples Center is pretty good too.

Ballpark Village for the St Louis Cardinals

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The Battery in suburban Cumberland outside of Atlanta for the Braves has been very successful. 

I think you are the first person who I have ever heard that area referred to as "Cumberland" :tw_sweat_smile:

It does pretty well both during the day and weekends when the Braves aren't in town. It does well bc so much of the Atlanta population is north of 285. It also does well with a recent VERY BAD crime wave through Buckhead bar area.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think you are the first person who I have ever heard that area referred to as "Cumberland" :tw_sweat_smile:

Who knew??? All these years I thought it was just the name of the Mall.  Please don't tell me Lenox Square is in the Lenox area and not Buckhead or I'm gonna be lost. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, #1Son said:

Who knew??? All these years I thought it was just the name of the Mall.  Please don't tell me Lenox Square is in the Lenox area and not Buckhead or I'm gonna be lost. 

actually in real estate circles it is referred to the Cumberland Galleria submarket for office space.  However maybe the Battery-Galleria would be more appropriate now. 

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

actually in real estate circles it is referred to the Cumberland Galleria submarket for office space.  However maybe the Battery-Galleria would be more appropriate now. 

That would make sense.  I always thought it was in Smyrna or Marietta because you cross the river into Cobb County.  As always thanks for the enlightenment. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 3:16 PM, KJHburg said:

OFF TOPIC. It was more that the Battery was reffered to be in "Cumberland", which isn't a city or town. Oddly that is an Atlanta mailing address/ zipcode.

• 4 weeks later...