210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I don't believe Regions Bank is involved, but yes lenders looking to get a receiver in place.  That said, CIM is looking to negotiate to modify the debt, so not ready to completely give up yet (though I suspect they would need a pretty sweet deal to not walk away).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I don't believe Regions Bank is involved, but yes lenders looking to get a receiver in place.  That said, CIM is looking to negotiate to modify the debt, so not ready to completely give up yet (though I suspect they would need a pretty sweet deal to not walk away).

Thanks! Fixed my post. Good intel on the modifications. Question -> why would they be evicting tenants that were  paying their lease if they didn't have the cash on hand to pay the mortgage while they reduced the tenant footprint?

Edited by CLT2014

24 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Thanks! Fixed my post. Good intel on the modifications. Question -> why would they be evicting tenants that were  paying their lease if they didn't have the cash on hand to pay the mortgage while they reduced the tenant footprint?

some of those were not paying rent as they were closed for extended time periods due the executive orders of the Governor.  (the clubs completely closed for months and months , and most of the restaurants)  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Gotta get some retail in Uptown somehow. If there was a place for retail tenants to feed off of each other, it’s the epicentre. 3 hotels attached to the complex, across from the ritz, direct light rail access, adjacent to the arena. List goes on and on and there no reason, if executed correctly, this place can be revived. Hopefully, CTC project will happen sooner than later. No more clubs at the epicentre. There’s been a shift in what ppl like to do. Restaurants, shops, and maybe a few bars and entertainment stuff like Tin roof and howl. Bowlero will prob stay. Stuff needs to be open all day. That was originally the problem with the epicentre when it was mainly clubs…it was closed half the day and didn’t generate any foot traffic during the day. Even if it were some general mall stores in here, finish line, American eagle or h&m, men’s warehouse, record shop etc. we need a place to go and buy stuff uptown. 

Just got back from walking down elm st in gboro. I mean is it so hard for us to get a boutique shop or record store or anything uptown lol. City should be doing whatever they can to make rent affordable and attract retailers uptown.  I was amazed to see a store like social status there (upscale fashion and sneaker boutique). 

Before ppl say south end is where retail is gravitating towards (which is true), I still feel like any downtown needs a healthy balance of retail and so far ours is very very  food&bev heavy. 

Yeah, I wonder how it would do as basically an enclosed mall with a retail focus. If the CTC and NCRR sites were redeveloped with significant residential units, I think it would stand a much better shot. Really could use a residential tower in that area of town.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I could have not written this better myself.  The history of Charlotte subsidized entertainment centers.

Tepper's City Supported Entertainment District (mailchi.mp)

I think maybe we should see the plan for the “Entertainment District” before we go ripping on city support of the “Entertainment District”.   Are really worried about 7mil spent on Cityfair and some "sidewalks and minor infrastructure" the city paid for the Epicenter?  Don't we assume a man with tremendous wealth is going to hire the best people to maximize his ROI?  Not some "developer" who was in way over their head.

I don't know if Bricktown in OKC is still as popular as it was (one of the ones mentioned in the article)...but that area near the baseball stadium was awesome back when I was on a project out there for a year.  

29 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't know if Bricktown in OKC is still as popular as it was (one of the ones mentioned in the article)...but that area near the baseball stadium was awesome back when I was on a project out there for a year.  

Make the Belk a river!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I could have not written this better myself.  The history of Charlotte subsidized entertainment centers.

Tepper's City Supported Entertainment District (mailchi.mp)

This article reeks of someone who has not been around long enough to know the nuance behind why these concepts failed, and has no grasp on what is actually being planned by Tepper

https://twitter.com/CLTdevelopment/status/1418676449964400643?s=20

• Like 3

On 7/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, The Real Clayton said:

,,,,, and has no grasp on what is actually being planned by Tepper

Yeah, and neither do the other 99,9 percent of Charlotte area residents. Has he put information forth as to what he is planning? Renderings? Napkin doodles? Anything? 

We greatly appreciate what you contribute here, and I promise you I'm not trying to be confrontational or sound like a jerk here, but sometimes I think you forget that the rest of us here don't know the people you do, aren't getting CC'd on the emails you get, aren't sitting in on the interviews you give, and certainly don't have access to the visual aids you clearly do. You have the ability to look at uptown and surrounding areas from a future viewpoint while the rest of us are stuck in the present trying to keep our cynicism in check because we have sat and watched too many things be watered down or not materialize the way it was supposed too. I'm sure you have strolled across the 277 rail trail bridge several times in your minds eye, but don't forget that the rest of us aren't holding our breath that it is even going to happen before Elon Musk announces his new company to build Futurama-style pneumatic tubes. 

I just think it would be beneficial for you to sometimes take a small step back and try to understand what the rest of us see and or know before you comment about how much we don't know or how wrong our thoughts are on a subject/project. Just because you're probably right in your thoughts and assumptions given the access to information you are afforded we can only form our opinions based on what is trickled out to the public which sometimes is nothing at all (ahem Duke Metro). 

Edited by go_vertical
Future viewpoint sounds much better than futuristic viewpoint.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Yeah, and neither do the other 99,9 percent of Charlotte area residents. Has he put information forth as to what he is planning? Renderings? Napkin doodles? Anything? 

We greatly appreciate what you contribute here, and I promise you I'm not trying to be confrontational or sound like a jerk here, but sometimes I think you forget that the rest of us here don't know the people you do, aren't getting CC'd on the emails you get, aren't sitting in on the interviews you give, and certainly don't have access to the visual aids you clearly do. You have the ability to look at uptown and surrounding areas from a futuristic viewpoint while the rest of us are stuck in the present trying to keep our cynicism in check because we have sat and watched too many things be watered down or not materialize the way it was supposed too. I'm sure you have strolled across the 277 rail trail bridge several times in your minds eye, but don't forget that the rest of us aren't holding our breath that it is even going to happen before Elon Musk announces his new company to build Futurama-style pneumatic tubes. 

I just think it would be beneficial for you to sometimes take a small step back and try to understand what the rest of us see and or know before you comment about how much we don't know or how wrong our thoughts are on a subject/project. Just because you're probably right in your thoughts and assumptions given the access to information you are afforded we can only form our opinions based on what is trickled out to the public which sometimes is nothing at all (ahem Duke Metro). 

My hot take - I think the larger issue is threefold.  If any one entity has the power to develop a completely new district within a city the following is critical:

1- experience with large scale mixed use development in urban setting.

2- a consultant team on board that can execute the above in a playful yet authentic way, and has the gravitas to push the client to that end.

3- the interests of the evolution of overall City AT LEAST even with their own interests re: enhancing or being in service to their adjacent assets.

If any of the above is not accounted for, the risk of an “entertainment district” being one note, largely inactive, inauthentic, short lived is magnified tenfold…

• Like 3

I can only think of the Wharf in DC being a successful entertainment district that was built as one large development. 

Everywhere else I’ve been, manufactured entertainment districts have been dead, cold and not lively.

L.A. Live was so disappointing. Probably the biggest letdown of a development that I thought would be interesting. & Charlotte already has an entertainment district.... it’s the epicenter. And it was amazing when it opened. Knock down the CTC, add on to that or build on to what is already there. I have a hard time envisioning a different location in downtown would really attract more people than the epicenter location would. Seriously. If they could another diverse entertainment development could be built side-by-side epicenter, it could breathe life into that development and get stores that best suit it.

I rather the city spend money on small businesses and let them get creative with spaces. Redo parking decks, lobby’s. An entertainment district isn’t going to be successful. Just make uptown within reach of small business owners. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I can only think of the Wharf in DC being a successful entertainment district that was built as one large development. 

Everywhere else I’ve been, manufactured entertainment districts have been dead, cold and not lively.

L.A. Live was so disappointing. Probably the biggest letdown of a development that I thought would be interesting. & Charlotte already has an entertainment district.... it’s the epicenter. And it was amazing when it opened. Knock down the CTC, add on to that or build on to what is already there. I have a hard time envisioning a different location in downtown would really attract more people than the epicenter location would. Seriously. If they could another diverse entertainment development could be built side-by-side epicenter, it could breathe life into that development and get stores that best suit it.

I rather the city spend money on small businesses and let them get creative with spaces. Redo parking decks, lobby’s. An entertainment district isn’t going to be successful. Just make uptown within reach of small business owners. 

National Harbor is also pretty successful in PRince George’s County. Also, Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, go_vertical said:

We greatly appreciate what you contribute here, and I promise you I'm not trying to be confrontational or sound like a jerk here, but sometimes I think you forget that the rest of us here don't know the people you do, aren't getting CC'd on the emails you get, aren't sitting in on the interviews you give, and certainly don't have access to the visual aids you clearly do. You have the ability to look at uptown and surrounding areas from a future viewpoint while the rest of us are stuck in the present trying to keep our cynicism in check because we have sat and watched too many things be watered down or not materialize the way it was supposed too. I'm sure you have strolled across the 277 rail trail bridge several times in your minds eye, but don't forget that the rest of us aren't holding our breath that it is even going to happen before Elon Musk announces his new company to build Futurama-style pneumatic tubes. 

I think the issue is just one of semantics, Tepper called it an entertainment district, and people automatically assumed he was talking a district of one-two story buildings. I had reporters asking me what I thought about the city's sudden shift to calling it a "mixed-use district." The fact is, land prices in Uptown Charlotte would not make a project like this feasible. We should expect something a little less dense than Victory Park in Dallas, which has its own TIF district. 

Speaking of Victory Park in Dallas I was there a couple years ago pre Covid.  Though anchored by the American Airlines Arena and several office and apartment towers I felt it was sterile  and seemingly very planned out. I got off the DART station there and walked around a bit.   It is on the edge of downtown Dallas but I felt the nearby area was more authethic.   There are several entertainment districts more naturally evolved in Dallas like Deep Ellum and this is not one of them.  That is problem with this districts they are very tricky to pull off even with lots of money.  Why has Southend overtaken uptown Charlotte as the premier entertainment district? I think it is more authethic and organic.  The biggest entertainment center really uptown now is 5th St.   (and maybe Music Factory but not sure how it is doing since the pandemic)    I would rather work with Mr Tepper on a mixed use project with residential retail and an entertainment component.  However since this is county owned land I think a park on some portion of the training fields could attract people day and night.   And yes county owned land should have an affordable housing component no matter who is developing it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about this.  This was CIM Group's plan before Covid.  Maybe they are using their bankruptcy of that project to reduce their debt. 

Check this out and yes this could happen at the Epicenter no reason why not as long as the offices workers return en masse.

Remember the 3 hotels there are not going anywhere.  They own "condo" units of the greater complex. 

This to me looks like 5th and Broadway in Nashville and this project can rise again just like many neighborhoods and areas of Charlotte have over the last few years. 

here is a project they did in Austin 

Austin Case Study | CIM Group

15769.pdf

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

This place needs saving, and quick.

65E438E1-3367-4E53-BA7D-FD39802B0DEB.jpeg

What’s weird is that if you are trying to get a fast cookie from insomnia or something to go they expect you to park in the garage and pay $12-$20.  There is only two spots in the front that is temporary spots and the rest is valet. Who valets in the middle of the day? SMH