210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of projects are delayed in permitting and by crew availability, too. With so many projects in the pipeline, county permit review time is getting pushed out considerably (2 months), and we're seeing bids coming in high because everyone is so busy.

Gah, they need to hurry up! I really want this project to get going. Side note; Austin is absolutely destroying uptown when it comes to bars and hotels. This a project that can help pick up slack.

I'm tired of waiting on all our projects to kick off, haha.  I'm looking at pictures of Austin just drooling at the cranes.  I want Charlotte to look like this again:

1400213_836155556421046_4963088322836937

I think Austin just got a headstart. Our fair city, for all its population growth, has been languishing in terms of CBD development. Only a short time ago I was excited that we were finally getting a highrise - a 21 story rental.

It's funny to think how big of a deal it was when Element was announced since it was the first high-rise rental (by design), but even more funny how recent that was. With the exception of Levineland, we'll likely ONLY see high-rise residential uptown going forward, which is exciting. 

I wish we were on a river like that.

:offtopic: Yea I sometimes thought about what Uptown would be like if it overlooked the Catawba... But I feel like Austin did a really poor job at utilizing the river with the power lines running adjacent to it rather than having restaurants and what not overlooking the water... 

:offtopic: Yea I sometimes thought about what Uptown would be like if it overlooked the Catawba... But I feel like Austin did a really poor job at utilizing the river with the power lines running adjacent to it rather than having restaurants and what not overlooking the water... 

The area around both sides of the river (which is Lady Bird Lake downtown)  is parkland and consists of the 10-mile Hike & Bike trail.  That's why there are no shops and restaurants along it. 

The area around both sides of the river (which is Lady Bird Lake downtown)  is parkland and consists of the 10-mile Hike & Bike trail.  That's why there are no shops and restaurants along it. 

My bad, don't know much about Austin, just saw that picture and it looked like there wasn't much going on by the waterfront

I think Austin just got a headstart. Our fair city, for all its population growth, has been languishing in terms of CBD development. Only a short time ago I was excited that we were finally getting a highrise - a 21 story rental.

I believe we are doing incredibly well considering we are not the capitol of the state and we do not have a river. There are practically no large growing big cities in the U.S. that aren't on built around a river or ocean. When mayor, John Belk discussed in developing a San Antonio like river walk on Sugar Creek beginning near Central Piedmont/Central High School area in 1969/1970.  We are neck to neck with Austin in growth despite everything else.  What surprises me is that Charlotte isn't advertised in Southern Living or travel magazines for weekend get-aways, etc.  It would be nice to have a weekend specials advertised that would include lodging,  museum and dining specials, an shuttles to places like Concord Mills, Charlotte race track, Whitewater Center,  and  the NCMF. I believe that the Chamber of Commerce is not doing an aggressive job in bringing even more talented people to spend and invest in the community.  I have European friends from years ago when I lived in Europe that visited me and have since purchased condos in South Charlotte and love it here (except for public transportation). I love living amongst the present growth and change. Look out Austin, we will eventually kick your ass. LOL!

I believe we are doing incredibly well considering we are not the capitol of the state and we do not have a river. There are practically no large growing big cities in the U.S. that aren't on built around a river or ocean. When mayor, John Belk discussed in developing a San Antonio like river walk on Sugar Creek beginning near Central Piedmont/Central High School area in 1969/1970.  We are neck to neck with Austin in growth despite everything else.  What surprises me is that Charlotte isn't advertised in Southern Living or travel magazines for weekend get-aways, etc.  It would be nice to have a weekend specials advertised that would include lodging,  museum and dining specials, an shuttles to places like Concord Mills, Charlotte race track, Whitewater Center,  and  the NCMF. I believe that the Chamber of Commerce is not doing an aggressive job in bringing even more talented people to spend and invest in the community.  I have European friends from years ago when I lived in Europe that visited me and have since purchased condos in South Charlotte and love it here (except for public transportation). I love living amongst the present growth and change. Look out Austin, we will eventually kick your ass. LOL!

Good luck!  

Just kidding. I am proud to have Austin as a rival.  I always support southern cities.

Hey at least we have a major hub airport, and two professional sports teams over Austin  :whistling:

Although I personally think Delta would be extremely smart to build up a hub in Austin to rival AA in Dallas and United in Houston...

Edited by saamh

Hey at least we have a major hub airport, and two professional sports teams over Austin  :whistling:

Although I personally think Delta would be extremely smart to build up a hub in Austin to rival AA in Dallas and United in Houston...

:ermm:   Is this UP or skyscrapercity...

• Like 1

I believe we are doing incredibly well considering we are not the capitol of the state and we do not have a river. There are practically no large growing big cities in the U.S. that aren't on built around a river or ocean. When mayor, John Belk discussed in developing a San Antonio like river walk on Sugar Creek beginning near Central Piedmont/Central High School area in 1969/1970.

I would have killed for this...

It's also one of the reasons why I would rather see the Belk Highway removed altogether, rather than just a cap. Not only would it free up massive amounts of land in between Uptown and SouthEnd, but it could also allow for a wider Little Sugar Creek.

That's it for my tirade. :offtopic:

Thank god this did not happen.  Has anyone actually been to the Riverwalk in SA?  It is HORRIBLE!  One of the most desperate attempts to get people downtown, and, probably, one of the worst executed of all time.  The water is disgusting, brown and it wreaks.  Trust me, they pump new and colored water in before events like the Final Four but the rest of the time its like walking next to a drainage ditch.  The shops and restaurants are all your standard tourist crap, Senor Frogs, Patty O's, etc.

I hate the concept of competition/comparison between Charlotte and Austin.  The fundamentals of each city are so different it's hard to really make a true comparison.  As to competition, Austin will always have a more unique and "cool" feel, but Charlotte will always be more "important" on a national level.  The two cities are on similar trajectories but for nearly entirely different reasons.  Austin is driven by the state gov't and UT and the tech industry that has spun off of and feeds off of UT.  Its geography on the edge of hill country and next to the river is incredible, and something we will NEVER be able to compete with. CLT on the other hand is driven by the financial industry, with behind the scenes but significant help from the power and logistics industries. We get little help in terms of growth (compared to Austin) from our local educational institutions (while I have a lot of respect for UNCC it is not UT).  While our local geography is attractive, without water we cannot "compete" with Austin.  However, relative to other attractions we have them handily "beat".  Driving distance from ATL, Charleston, the mountains and the coast (Texas beaches aren't even in the conversation with NC/SC beaches) and a short flight to everything on the east coast.  Our airport is significantly better in terms of destinations and number of flights.

If you like one of these categories more than any other, then you will prefer that city.  

• Like 1

Thank god this did not happen.  Has anyone actually been to the Riverwalk in SA?  It is HORRIBLE!  One of the most desperate attempts to get people downtown, and, probably, one of the worst executed of all time.  The water is disgusting, brown and it wreaks.  Trust me, they pump new and colored water in before events like the Final Four but the rest of the time its like walking next to a drainage ditch.  The shops and restaurants are all your standard tourist crap, Senor Frogs, Patty O's, etc.

I hate the concept of competition/comparison between Charlotte and Austin.  The fundamentals of each city are so different it's hard to really make a true comparison.  As to competition, Austin will always have a more unique and "cool" feel, but Charlotte will always be more "important" on a national level.  The two cities are on similar trajectories but for nearly entirely different reasons.  Austin is driven by the state gov't and UT and the tech industry that has spun off of and feeds off of UT.  Its geography on the edge of hill country and next to the river is incredible, and something we will NEVER be able to compete with. CLT on the other hand is driven by the financial industry, with behind the scenes but significant help from the power and logistics industries. We get little help in terms of growth (compared to Austin) from our local educational institutions (while I have a lot of respect for UNCC it is not UT).  While our local geography is attractive, without water we cannot "compete" with Austin.  However, relative to other attractions we have them handily "beat".  Driving distance from ATL, Charleston, the mountains and the coast (Texas beaches aren't even in the conversation with NC/SC beaches) and a short flight to everything on the east coast.  Our airport is significantly better in terms of destinations and number of flights.

If you like one of these categories more than any other, then you will prefer that city.  

Indeed.

Charlotte's economy is also much larger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Austin has a cool vibe, and a better PR company.

Edited by edition

Thank god this did not happen. Has anyone actually been to the Riverwalk in SA? It is HORRIBLE! One of the most desperate attempts to get people downtown, and, probably, one of the worst executed of all time. The water is disgusting, brown and it wreaks. Trust me, they pump new and colored water in before events like the Final Four but the rest of the time its like walking next to a drainage ditch. The shops and restaurants are all your standard tourist crap, Senor Frogs, Patty O's, etc.

Hmmph....I actually like the Riverwalk. Yeah, there's a certain section of it that is kitschy and touristy, but San Antonio is a tourist town after all. With the Alamo, Sea World, all the historic missions, La Mercado, etc. I'm not surprised to see the types of places that are there, because they do see a LOT of tourists. But there are some fantastic non-chain/tourist joints too (and my favorite bar, maybe in the world - The Esquire). Never noticed the water being nasty any if the probably 20 times I've there. I really enjoy the Riverwalk whenever I am there, which is quite often. I just love al the al fresco dining and overall vibrancy of the place. And I must say that I feels a lot less "manufactured" that the Epicentre. Edited by ScottCLT
  • Like 1