210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

As for the amenity deck, I swear the work for the pool had already been started.  The concrete had definitely been poured, which means the general shape of the pool must have already been laid out. 

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about, and whether it is visible here, but these are years-old from Bing Bird's Eye (love the trolley and the train in the same shot!).  Google has some 45-degree aerials from a similar vintage, though I had to go back to the old google maps to get them to display.  Either they're not in the new google maps, and/or I'm too lazy to figure it out.

ttt1_zps02d75b20.jpg

ttt2_zps0f653ceb.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about, and whether it is visible here, but these are years-old from Bing Bird's Eye (love the trolley and the train in the same shot!).  Google has some 45-degree aerials from a similar vintage, though I had to go back to the old google maps to get them to display.  Either they're not in the new google maps, and/or I'm too lazy to figure it out.

ttt1_zps02d75b20.jpg

ttt2_zps0f653ceb.jpg

Yea... I think they covered the pool with concrete after the building fell through. 

Prepare to be disappointed.... Dual branded 20-story hotel set to begin construction in 2015: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/06/18/dual-branded-20-story-hotel-project-slated-to.html. It will be Marriott branded with an upscale 182-room AC Hotel and a 120-room Residence Inn.

EDIT: I think the brand is fine, especially since the AC Hotel will be the first of it's kind in the US. But it's rather the height. What was originally 50+ stories is now 20. Thought it would be more in the middle like 35.

Edited by wend28

:) I'm not disappointed. I expected 25-30 stories. It will be around 25 stories with the base, correct? Also I'm not disappointed by 2015 start date because they don't have to do much base work.

Just wish there were renderings

Edit: pretty cool 5 hotels will surround epicenter

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

:) I'm not disappointed. I expected 25-30 stories. It will be around 25 stories with the base, correct? Also I'm not disappointed by 2015 start date because they don't have to do much base work.

I'm sure renderings will be forthcoming soon. The early 2015 start date is about what I'd expect too. 18 months to build. More info on AC Hotels can be found here: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-development/ac-hotels.mi

Edited by wend28

Edit: pretty cool 5 hotels will surround epicenter

It'd probably be a little taller than the Westin The base of that part of epicenter is a very tall podium. The good news here is AC Hotels generally have a very modern/contemporay design, so hopefully we see something good looking. 

I'm a bit concerned with the number of rooms.  I know the size of the property doesn't call for a large building, or a hotel with 400+ rooms, but if Charlotte is serious about the Super Bowl, it's going to need a good 400+ room hotel development in the pipeline.  

Also I agree with tozmervo...the Residence Inn at the stadium and now one here?  Doesn't make much sense.

Is it likely they would maintain the Residence Inn over by the stadium? How unusual would it be to have two locations with the same brand so close to each other?

Was just wondering that.  It would be interesting if the existing one would be converted to apartments or condos?   

Edited by Urbanity

I'm fine with it.  Better than the building that is currently on the site.  As long as it is good looking architecture, I'd be happy with 10 stories.

Couldn't agree more. I am pretty excited about this, as long as the architecture is solid this is going to look great!

Is AC closer to Ritz or aloft??? I think it is so weird we only have 1 (or 2) super luxury brands in uptown. I know AC and Ritz are both Marriott but it would be nice if AC is uber luxury, although it seems like its more of an upscale aloft from the website and description.

And that is a good point about Residence....I would image they would rebrand the existing one

Wow does Marriott have a lot of hotels uptown...what are they all??

Residence

Ritz

Marriott

AC

Courtyard (soon to be)

Fairfield

what else?

Last thought, so by 2017-2018 (hopefully) we should have 4 new towers in our skyline. Skyhouse, this building, 300 S Tryon and Tryon Place. That is SUPER awesome...can any photoshop masters our there create what the skyline will look like with those 4 buildings (guestimating what this hotel tower will look like)???????

Edited by Jayvee

Couldn't agree more. I am pretty excited about this, as long as the architecture is solid this is going to look great!

Is AC closer to Ritz or aloft??? I think it is so weird we only have 1 (or 2) super luxury brands in uptown. I know AC and Ritz are both Marriott but it would be nice if AC is uber luxury, although it seems like its more of an upscale aloft from the website and description.

And that is a good point about Residence....I would image they would rebrand the existing one

Wow does Marriott have a lot of hotels uptown...what are they all??

Residence

Ritz

Marriott

AC

Courtyard (soon to be)

Fairfield

what else?

Last thought, so by 2017-2018 (hopefully) we should have 4 new towers in our skyline. Skyhouse, this building, 300 S Tryon and Tryon Place. That is SUPER awesome...can any photoshop masters our there create what the skyline will look like with those 4 buildings (guestimating what this hotel tower will look like)???????

That lack of super luxury brand (or whatever you want to classify Ritz-Carlton) is likely to change soon... Expect to see another.

Edited by wend28

EDIT: I think the brand is fine, especially since the AC Hotel will be the first of it's kind in the US. 

There are actually a few cities beating us to it. AC Kansas City and AC New Orleans are opening this fall, and AC Miami in Spring 2015. There was one planned for Cincinnati, too, but it was canceled.

That lack of super luxury brand (or whatever you want to classify Ritz-Carlton) is likely to change soon... Expect to see another.

Yeah I just meant the Ritz is the most luxury here...would love to see the Marriott turn into a JW.....could this prediction be possible:

The current Marriott turns into a JW, the 210 building has the Renaissance and the current Renaissance becomes a regular Marriott???

Edited by Jayvee

I am so glad to finally see the concrete skeleton on top of Epicentre become something. I'm very hopeful that it will be architecturally interesting since all the other AC Hotels (even the ones for Kansas City, Miami, and New Orleans) are pretty good pieces of hotel architecture. Of course will have to hold final judgement til it is actually completed.

Edited by uptownliving

Have looked at some of the AC HOTEL concepts and they look nice but really small, but is this really the best tenant they could find for the location.  I understand they take what they would get, but it would have been nice if they could have lured a full service hotel such as a W hotel or a Hyatt to fill the spot with around a 25-30 story tower.  

Is it going to be one tower with two different hotels or two connected towers one a residence inn and the other an ac hotel?

I really felt like starwood might try to put a w hotel there since they already had aloft in the same complex.

It is better than a concrete pad, but I don't believe adding a co-branded midsize hotel tower is really moving forward as city.

Edited by CltFlyer

Have looked at some of the AC HOTEL concepts and they look nice but really small, but is this really the best tenant they could find for the location.  I understand they take what they would get, but it would have been nice if they could have lured a full service hotel such as a W hotel or a Hyatt to fill the spot with around a 25-30 story tower.  

Is it going to be one tower with two different hotels or two connected towers one a residence inn and the other an ac hotel?

I really felt like starwood might try to put a w hotel there since they already had aloft in the same complex.

Stacked. The second half of the building isn't built to support a second structure.

I can't say I like or understand the concept of putting two different brands of hotel into the same tower.  Doing what Starwood did with the Sheraton and Le meridien is one thing, but this is another.  Just seems like prime downtown hotel location wasted.   Hopefully something larger goes into the old Days Inn location.

Edited by CltFlyer

I think there are better locations for Prime Hotel Spots. There are a half dozen or more hotels within 1-2 blocks. (Marriott, Aloft, Ritz, Hyatt House, Holiday Inn, Omni, Hilton, Courtyard, etc) I'm just happy SOMETHING is going there. We have a slew of other hotel proposals (Embassy Suites, 2 by crescent total, Homewood Suites, A Mystery Hotel on the Knights outfield, OHM hotel at center city green, a boutique hotel going up in Midtown) and it seems we are just warming up.

Skyhouse 2 is officially going to at the Old Days Inn location, with two plots of land for expansion along Tryon. I suspect with the initiative to bring life to n. tryon underway, we will see a large hotel, office and retail in the next 3 years.

I think there are better locations for Prime Hotel Spots. There are a half dozen or more hotels within 1-2 blocks. (Marriott, Aloft, Ritz, Hyatt House, Holiday Inn, Omni, Hilton, Courtyard, etc) I'm just happy SOMETHING is going there. We have a slew of other hotel proposals (Embassy Suites, 2 by crescent total, Homewood Suites, A Mystery Hotel on the Knights outfield, OHM hotel at center city green, a boutique hotel going up in Midtown) and it seems we are just warming up.

Skyhouse 2 is officially going to at the Old Days Inn location, with two plots of land for expansion along Tryon. I suspect with the initiative to bring life to n. tryon underway, we will see a large hotel, office and retail in the next 3 years.

I mean, I'm glad the spot is being filled.   I guess I'm just underwhelmed.   Twelve hotel never panned out.   We already have a residence inn, don't see the point for another one.  It still baffles me that we don't have a full service hyatt uptown.  Whether it a regular hyatt or a regency though.  Hopefully one is announced soon.  I wouldn't expect much from the Knights stadium hotel, Plans are only for around 10 stories I believe.  

We don't need a bunch of 40 story luxury hotels, we need 15-20 story buildings to fill empty plots of land.  I'd rather get 5, 15-20 story hotels filling parking lots and increasing density as opposed to maybe one, 40 story hotel any day.  Plus the Epicenter is a bad place for a full service luxury hotel.  You're positioned above an area that rages until 2am with no direct access to the hotel from College or Trade.  I don't know about you, but it wouldn't feel luxury to me if I had to share an elevator with a bunch of drunk 22 years old on their way to Tin Roof.  Street level entry like that at the Ritz or even the Hilton on 3rd is more in line with my expectation of a full service luxury hotel.

Even at 15 stories, this building will loom over the Epicenter and appear fairly imposing.  Trade inclines up pretty heavily from Brevard to College, so it will also appear tall from the other side of CTC and the arena.  Plus, architecture trumps height any day of the week.  If it looks great, the height shouldn't (and won't) matter.

• Like 1