Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Larken met with a bunch of Elizabeth residents yesterday and one of the things he mentioned was that the earliest the bridge could be open for cars would be late August, but that he is pushing to open part of it to pedestrians/bikes in advance to the extent possible while the roadwork is being finished/tested for cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Larken met with a bunch of Elizabeth residents yesterday and one of the things he mentioned was that the earliest the bridge could be open for cars would be late August, but that he is pushing to open part of it to pedestrians/bikes in advance to the extent possible while the roadwork is being finished/tested for cars.

I watched the zoom meeting with the city, Larken and the Elizabeth community a few weeks ago and if this happens it will be quite a surprise. Both the project manager and the city engineer gave a hard no to this suggestion when it was floated on that call. There is still so much work to be done on the entire Hawthorne portion of this project, not even just the bridge, that it seems like there would be pedestrians walking through an active construction zone. 

Edited by sakami
  • Thanks 1

I feel like some amount of people have gotten used to going to Central or Pecan.  I'm curious how busy Hawthorne will be once it opens, especially if traffic is slowed by being behind a trolley.  That said, I just want my bridge open.    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

I feel like some amount of people have gotten used to going to Central or Pecan.  I'm curious how busy Hawthorne will be once it opens, especially if traffic is slowed by being behind a trolley.  That said, I just want my bridge open.    

Will it significantly slow traffic? (beyond holding people to the speed limit). I have not looked closely, but I thought that there is still a traffic lane available for autos to move past a stopped streetcar. Other than stops, the streetcar should be just another vehicle from a traffic flow perspective (I might be wrong).

• Like 1

Plus the car traffic is at the mercy of the lights, so if the city controls the lights based on the movements of the streetcar, then it could pretty much be moot other than idiots blocking the tracks picking up CPCC students or parking wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, kermit said:

There were some really crappy streetcars built with the 2009 stimulus. But to be fair, they are crappy mostly because they were planned as starter segments for longer lines (initial budget lines were small). If Atlanta expands theirs to the beltline (as planned) and DC’s makes it to Benning rd metro and Georgetown (as originally planned), both will be very useful. Other streetcars have been huge successes, Kansas City and Portland being the most notable (part of this success has been high frequencies). 

The Gold Line (Phase 2) connects some very important places, but I agree, low frequency will make it worthless. CATS plans to run 15 minute service, when it really should be every 7 at least. Poor frequencies will lead to underperformance.

Isn't Kansas City's free though?  If it is free and runs reliably (offsetting priorities in some ways), that dramatically increases the chance of success.  My front yard is literally a stop and I dont plan on riding unless I am going to Spectrum and plan on drinking.

8 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

Isn't Kansas City's free though?  If it is free and runs reliably (offsetting priorities in some ways), that dramatically increases the chance of success.  My front yard is literally a stop and I dont plan on riding unless I am going to Spectrum and plan on drinking.

Yes, it is free. Though frequencies should be increased at least for it to be an effective mode of transport. KS city's frequency is 10min on peak week days and between 12-18min  for the remainder of the week. Charlotte should probably do around 7-10min frequency at least to make it effective enough to get people to actually ride it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2