Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Seriously? At this point the city is better off shutting it down until they can actually staff it. Although even 30 minute frequencies could cause the FTA to ask for the SSGA to be refunded.

image.png.d73bc9dc6ee17a7c57e7b50674c50c0d.png

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

25 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

Again, Why have we not heard one peep from Charlotte Council members on these issues? I feel like part of the reason transit continues to worsen is because no one but a few online urbanists are holding them accountable. 

There’s probably more online urbanist who think this is happening all around the country due to Covid. The city of Charlotte is stuck in operating as if its 2020. IMO. 

Above all. This is what happens when people who don’t use transit or aren’t passionate about the importance of transit run transit. Always. 

“Reliability will improve if we make a 3 mile streetcar operate every 30 minutes”. By the time you walk to streetcar…. Get on streetcar. Take it to your stop. Walk to your destination. It could easily be a 50 minute one way trip…. Often. For many people who take if.

What is the point of reliability that the streetcar leaves the terminus every 30 minutes? That itself is hard to time anywhere else along the line due to stopping for vehicles,  traffic lights, stops. What rider gives a flying F about reliability of a consistent schedule at that useless of speed or frequency? And how many people show up to light rail or streetcar (not counting the ends) based upon rough calculations of when it would show up (unless CATS has got better at real time since I left.) I never relied on when it should get to the station. 

The *only* good thing about reducing frequency to improve reliability is literally just to give management a pat on the back for “look, reliability improved.” - that makes me dislike Cagle. This would make sense for an airport (trying to reduce certain banks or temporarily reduce flights to ease congestion and cancellations where that is super impactful and is critical for airlines profitability as messing up schedules can hit the airlines hard and ruin passengers days and be expensive for everyone). This isn’t an airport…. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, kermit said:

^ and there will not be a community consensus on reducing auto dependence anywhere in the South as long as driving is so heavily subsidized.

Hidden subsidies like 'free' parking, emissions, and gas taxes that haven't been increased since the Clinton administration mean that most people would be making a financial mistake by deciding not to drive.

Its time for the 'stick' of making drivers pay the full cost of driving. Unfortunately no politician is willing to pull the trigger on this.

https://slate.com/business/2022/05/miami-parking-developers-housing.html

Miami recently regressed on parking according to this Slate article.  Miami had started to see infill on small lots by small developers.  Commissioners cited lack of transit strategy in the reasoning for instituting requirements.  1.5 cars per unit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RANYC said:

There's an argument to be made that the reason a broader slice of the population isn't holding city council and, by extension, city management accountable for high-performing transit is that there really isn't general community consensus and buy-in on reducing auto-dependency/auto-reliance.  

It's amazingly ironic how the city council will go on and on about equity and affordability while forcing land use patterns that cause people, especially low-income people, to spend a high percentage of their income on transportation just to drive down the street to the grocery store. It's amazing how car companies have tricked everyone, including the government to make cars the default. I mean the government is literally betting on beating climate change by just producing more cars (electric). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I’d posted on here last year that I was riding the gold line streetcar to and from work each day.  I’ve stopped riding for 2 reasons: 30-minute INfrequencies, and a loss of confidence in transit operations.

On the 2nd point, there’s a part of me that expects a certain measure of management competence when engaging in shared spaces in America.  That means, can I trust that management is working effectively behind the scenes to keep me safe, to identify and preempt the actions of malefactors through perhaps advanced surveillance or intelligence strategies.  I just don’t get any sort of confidence like that from the news coming out of CATS.  There just doesn’t appear to be any kind of culture of quality there.

I'm going to rename my dad/garage band the Malefactors. Thanks. 

• Haha 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, kermit said:

Good news (sorta). The Gold Line is moving from comically ridiculous frequencies (30 minutes) to merely awful frequencies (20 minutes) starting tomorrow (Saturday). In order to function as an unban circulator (which it was planned to be) it needs to be every 5 minutes or less.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlottes-gold-line-increases-frequency/UI5ZN37LVVDYBLMFHY6FXEVF6E/

I’d be happy with every 10 to 12 minutes.   Sadly, although the higher frequency took effect today, updated instructions in the CATS app apparently didn’t.  We just can’t have it all. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...