Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

I was driving on the main road in ICAR this afternoon, looked down into the collaboration and there was a bus.....on closer inspection, it was a Proterra bus. It was parked in front in the Clemson building. Anyone know more?

To see what a Proterra bus looks like.....their website:

http://www.proterraonline.com/

The company had dinner with the mayor last night here. All good signs. :)

Are you saying those stores would close? I would think the would close the Greer Bi-lo on Wade Hampton before the Bloom on Wade Hampton. Actually I could see them close both Greer Bi-Lo's on Wade Hampton. The one next to Home Depot and the one at HWY 357. Also the Taylors Bi-Lo on Wade Hampton I think is set to close even if this food lion thing doesn't happen. I think their are a number of stores up for renewal that will be let go. DDR has a few that they have put available for lease the currently are still operating and Taylors in one of them.

Also at South Pleasantburg wouldn't you think they would close the old Bi-lo instead of the Bloom?

Those Bi-Lo stores are certain to close.

Existing Bloom and Food Lion stores in upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina lack several amenities Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo has to offer, such as in store banks, pharmacy departments, etc. If finalized, Delhaize Group's acquisition of Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo locations would allow Food Lion to expand into these areas currently present instead of spending more money to add them in their current locations when they should have done it right the first time. The location that offers the most stays open; not the newest one. That is why supermarkets brand themselves that way.

This is partly why Bloom is more likely to close in Greer (West Wade Hampton Boulevard) and South Pleasantburg Drive. Other reasons include not doing much business, and not having local recognition that Bi-Lo has.

Whether two unique brands can exist together, i.e. Bi-Lo and Food$mart, as any combination of Bi-Lo/Bloom/Bottom Dollar/Food Lion/Super Bi-Lo remains to be see.

If anything close the old Bi-Lo at the corner of E. North and Howell Rd. That whole shopping center needs to be closed or renovated.

Vaughan's at East North, dating back to the A&P Sav-a-Center, opened in the late 1970s. Bi-Lo acquired the Sav-a-Center and opened in early 1995. It is part of a string of three stores along East North Street including North Hills and Hudson Road. I will agree that store needs significant improvements, or a replacement.

Bi-Lo no longer owns and operates the distribution center in Mauldin. It is property of C & S Wholesale Grocers. Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo stores would be supplied by Food Lion's distribution centers in Elloree or Salisbury, NC unless the distrbution center in Mauldin is reacquired for Food Lion.

Had forgotten about that. Does the C&S distro center service anybody other than Bi-Lo? Isn't C&S the company that had a part in the ill-fated Brunos / Southern Family Markets thing in Alabama? If this distro serves only Bi-Lo, I'm assuming it would close? :dontknow:

Had forgotten about that. Does the C&S distro center service anybody other than Bi-Lo? Isn't C&S the company that had a part in the ill-fated Brunos / Southern Family Markets thing in Alabama? If this distro serves only Bi-Lo, I'm assuming it would close? :dontknow:

CSWG have been known to service A&P (including Pathmark, Waldbaum's, the Food Emporium, Superfresh), Ahold (inlcuing Top's, Giant/Stop & Shop), and Safeway.

They closed the Chattanooga, TN distribution center, once part of Bi-Lo, in early 2008. Birmingham, AL facilities, once part of Bruno's, are still operating upon my last check.

Food Lion acquiring CSWG's Mauldin facilities could help better serve locations in upper South Carolina, Columbia, and western North Carolina. Charlotte stores could be serviced by Salisbury, NC, and the Charleston and coastal SC stores can be serviced by Elloree. Whether Food Lion has intentions to acquire the Mauldin facility from CSWG is unknwon.

Food Lion has a facility in Tennessee, and that could service the Chattanooga, TN market.

CSWG have been known to service A&P (including Pathmark, Waldbaum's, the Food Emporium, Superfresh), Ahold (inlcuing Top's, Giant/Stop & Shop), and Safeway.

They closed the Chattanooga, TN distribution center, once part of Bi-Lo, in early 2008. Birmingham, AL facilities, once part of Bruno's, are still operating upon my last check.

Food Lion acquiring CSWG's Mauldin facilities could help better serve locations in upper South Carolina, Columbia, and western North Carolina. Charlotte stores could be serviced by Salisbury, NC, and the Charleston and coastal SC stores can be serviced by Elloree. Whether Food Lion has intentions to acquire the Mauldin facility from CSWG is unknwon.

Food Lion has a facility in Tennessee, and that could service the Chattanooga, TN market.

Thanks for the info.

Wan't the Chattanooga facility an old dated facility from Red Foods? The Mauldin facility is pretty updated from what I've heard. Is that accurate?

Clemson University will collaborate with the University of South Carolina and the Medical University of South Carolina in a $9.3 million research program into tissue regeneration. The new research center will have a presence at Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center

• 2 weeks later...

NuVox Inc. is has been sold to an Arkansas based corporation. GSA Article

Hartness just also sold to an Illinois company. While I have no idea about the job situation with Nuvox, the Hartness deal will actually add jobs to their 500 employee base in Greenville. The new company will run Hartness as a division and will be moving some jobs in from other states apparently.

Hartness just also sold to an Illinois company. While I have no idea about the job situation with Nuvox, the Hartness deal will actually add jobs to their 500 employee base in Greenville. The new company will run Hartness as a division and will be moving some jobs in from other states apparently.

I would not be surprised if they cut 60% of the local NuVox jobs, just keeping sales and service techs. Everything else has a duplicate in Little Rock. That would be a big hit to Main St business.

Edited by gvegascple

I don't see Nuvox cutting many if any jobs. Nuvox is urban related while the other company is rural related. In other news, Food Lion has apparently dropped their offer to buy Bi-Lo which is good news.

Tell that to Concord, NC who saw 270 job cuts when Windstream acquired CT communications in 07, or Lancaster, PA who saw 290 cuts when Windstream acquired D&E communications. They have made it known that they intend to find $30 million dollars in expense savings within the first year of the deal closing and in the past for them, that meant job cuts from the company they bought. Lets hope Greenville is the exception.

That would be great news...and forgive me for questioning...but before I start celebrating, how sure are you about that? Any idea how long before we'll see an official announcement?

I've heard the opposite, that Delhaize (Food Lion) is buying Bi-Lo for sure. There was a Wall Street journal article just today about it. The only holdup seems to be some legal issues with the bankruptcy process.

Clemson University will locate a business school in the former Bowater building downtown: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/31625-clemson-expanding-presence-in-downtown-greenville They have decided not to put the school in Washington Square. This is good news as it will lower the office vacancy rate a lot. Better to fill the current empty space we have now before building more office buildings.