Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

I just saw this on The Greenville News website. Interesting move for TD Bank, which is all over Toronto and the Northeast. It makes sense for them, though. Hopefully they will maintain a strong presence in Greenville.

I will be curious to see what they do about the Carolina First headquarters on I-85.

Carolina First headquarters is still downtown. The facility on I-85 is for sale: http://www.hqgreenville.com/. Sage Automotive has moved their headquarters there until their new building at ICAR is complete in June 2011. Carolina First also has a small presence on site with some employees. Not sure if TD will keep those few employees there or not. Due to TD having very little presence in the south, I see this as a win-win for the area. Glad to see TD rescue South Financial's sinking ship.

Edited by citylife

Carolina First headquarters is still downtown. The facility on I-85 is for sale: http://www.hqgreenville.com/. Sage Automotive has moved their headquarters there until their new building at ICAR is complete in June 2011. Carolina First also has a small presence on site with some employees. Not sure if TD will keep those few employees there or not. Due to TD having very little presence in the south, I see this as a win-win for the area. Glad to see TD rescue South Financial's sinking ship.

I realize that Carolina First did not end up relocating its headquarters there, but it was built with that intent in mind, and last time I checked TSFG still owns the campus. TD Bank owns it now, if I am reading the merger info correctly. They will obviously need to decide what to do with it. It will be interesting to see what happens. It's a nice opportunity for someone who needs the space.

An article about TD Bank and their impression of Greenville, as well as the community involvement we can expect from TD, which looks positive. The fact this is a Canadian bank, seems to give Greenville several opportunities that would not have been found with a major US bank....say Bank of America for example.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100518/BUSINESS/305180019/TD-Bank-officials-‘in-love-with-Greenville?GID=Z95dPdla28HPPf+SINBLM7dUeVVEsWjrveWz4Ekh86s%3D

An article about TD Bank and their impression of Greenville, as well as the community involvement we can expect from TD, which looks positive. The fact this is a Canadian bank, seems to give Greenville several opportunities that would not have been found with a major US bank....say Bank of America for example.

http://www.greenvill...rveWz4Ekh86s%3D

Just for the record, TD is the 15th largest bank in the U.S. They are not just a Canadian bank. Their banking headquarters is in the U.S. Wouldn't it be sweet if they moved their American headquarters to Greenviile? This purchase is very small for them, but Greenville would certainly be more centrally located than Portland, Maine.

Edited by gman

Just for the record, TD is the 15th largest bank in the U.S. They are not just a Canadian bank. Their banking headquarters is in the U.S. Wouldn't it be sweet if they moved their American headquarters to Greenviile? This purchase is very small for them, but Greenville would certainly be more centrally located than Portland, Maine.

For the US, don't they have dual headquarters? Portland and Cherry Hill, NJ? World headquarters is Toronto? I do like the fact that Greenville is strategically located in a vast area they currently do not serve. That bodes well for regional division offices.

Hey gman, what bank do you work for? You were dead on the money about Carloina First long before anyone else knew.

Edited by gsupstate

For the US, don't they have dual headquarters? Portland and Cherry Hill, NJ? World headquarters is Toronto? I do like the fact that Greenville is strategically located in a vast area they currently do not serve. That bodes well for regional division offices.

Hey gman, what bank do you work for? You were dead on the money about Carloina First long before anyone else knew.

I work at a small community bank in the area, but would rather not say which one. It is pretty easy to follow the trail right now. All one has to do is to look at the financials. Also, when the regulators give deadlines for certain things to happen, like raising capital, they are also warning the public and the shareholders that the shut down of the bank is coming. The regulators are not coming out with exact wording of what is coming, but they are all but saying that. Look at the banks that have been shut down. The warnings from the regulators normally follow a certain timeline. It doesn't always happen that way, but most of the time it does. This bank has been in trouble for a long time. Their ROA and ROE has been very low for years. Even when they were announcing the construction of the new headquarters and talking about hiring folks, they were in bad shape and had in fact just laid off dozens of folks. I said then they would never move into that building. Technically, they have a few employees in the building, but all of that was a monument to Whittle. It was not in the best interest of the shareholders. Having said all that, I hope TD will keep the employees. All banks are struggling right now, so there are no bank jobs available. It's no fun being a banker right now. It is a shame that most banks did not participate in the bad housing mortgage loan debacle. But all banks are paying the price for what the large investment firms did. I refuse to call them banks. Those big boys don't have a clue about what real banking is all about. All they cared about is the money and greed. The smaller banks cared about the communities they are in. In fact, it's the smaller banks that invested a lot of time and money in those communities. Now our customers are struggling and the real banks are struggling. I am afraid we have not seen the worst of this problem yet. That will probably not happen until early next year. I hope and pray I am wrong. But I talk to my customers every single day. Until jobs are created, this mess is not going to get any better. More banks are sure to fail. More good and honest bankers will be out of jobs. I predict there will be four or five banks to fail in S.C. this year. There will probably be one or two in our area. Just look at the press releases and announcements from the regulators. It is not hard to know which banks will not make it.

I work at a small community bank in the area, but would rather not say which one. It is pretty easy to follow the trail right now. All one has to do is to look at the financials. Also, when the regulators give deadlines for certain things to happen, like raising capital, they are also warning the public and the shareholders that the shut down of the bank is coming. The regulators are not coming out with exact wording of what is coming, but they are all but saying that. Look at the banks that have been shut down. The warnings from the regulators normally follow a certain timeline. It doesn't always happen that way, but most of the time it does. This bank has been in trouble for a long time. Their ROA and ROE has been very low for years. Even when they were announcing the construction of the new headquarters and talking about hiring folks, they were in bad shape and had in fact just laid off dozens of folks. I said then they would never move into that building. Technically, they have a few employees in the building, but all of that was a monument to Whittle. It was not in the best interest of the shareholders. Having said all that, I hope TD will keep the employees. All banks are struggling right now, so there are no bank jobs available. It's no fun being a banker right now. It is a shame that most banks did not participate in the bad housing mortgage loan debacle. But all banks are paying the price for what the large investment firms did. I refuse to call them banks. Those big boys don't have a clue about what real banking is all about. All they cared about is the money and greed. The smaller banks cared about the communities they are in. In fact, it's the smaller banks that invested a lot of time and money in those communities. Now our customers are struggling and the real banks are struggling. I am afraid we have not seen the worst of this problem yet. That will probably not happen until early next year. I hope and pray I am wrong. But I talk to my customers every single day. Until jobs are created, this mess is not going to get any better. More banks are sure to fail. More good and honest bankers will be out of jobs. I predict there will be four or five banks to fail in S.C. this year. There will probably be one or two in our area. Just look at the press releases and announcements from the regulators. It is not hard to know which banks will not make it.

Excellent info! Thanks gman! :thumbsup:

I must admit, not being my industry, I had no insight, and when you said TSFG would never move into the building, I didn't believe you. Apparently, this toxic stew was brewing nationally, long before any ordinary citizens had a clue.....you knew though.

Banking and the financial industry is tough. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new proposed regulations that may be coming from Washington, if you don't mind a PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quite the cluster of green transportation industry developing in the area. First Proterra and now CT&T. :yahoo:

Excellent news!

http://www.wyff4.com/news/24083813/detail.html

This is very exciting! I saw this in the Spartanburg forum, but this definitely deserves to be here, given the location is Duncan.

I wonder what the chances are that an R&D component could locate at CU-ICAR? With Proterra being there, it just seems to make sense... :thumbsup:

I find it a little funny that they're announcing this in Columbia at the State House.

Nonetheless, I liked this quote:

From electric bus manufacturer Proterra and GE's wind turbines to fuel efficient aerospace technology, economic development leaders said it's all happening at a record pace.

BMW is looking to hire 500 contingency workers, full time at a rate of $15/hr! The benefits will include health, dental, 401 (k) and vacation.

This should help take a bite out of the Upstate's unemployment rate... :thumbsup:

:) Yep, here's the news article: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/34900-bmw-ramping-up-production-staff?rss=0

• 3 weeks later...

The Greenville News completely ignored this great news. They certainly didn't mind having an article about unemployment on the front page. I am going to give them another day before I send them a complaint e-mail.

I was not aware that The Greenville News missed this, because I don't read their site anymore. :P

This seemed to be the most appropriate place for this news. German Automaker ZF Group to invest 350 million in Laurens and hire 900 employees by 2015. ZF currently has a suspension plant in Duncan that employs 150 people. The new plant will manufacture transmissions for various automakers. Here's the link to the state's article about the development. ZF Group investment

ETA: Longer article posted on Wyff about investment Wyff ZF Group Announcement

Edited by kristib726

*Add 900 jobs and $350 million in capital investments to this information below.*

Upstate SC has landed more jobs/capital investments this year than all of the other regions in the state combined according to this news release from Upstate Alliance:

http://www.upstatescalliance.com//news_item/index/news_events/news_feed/upstate_mid-year_report/

The Upstate SC Alliance today announced that, through the first six months of 2010, the region's efforts have already resulted in more than $1.3 billion of planned capital investment in the Upstate of South Carolina. That's half a billion dollars more than the region's annual average, and more than all the other regions in the state of South Carolina combined.

Approximately 3,671 new jobs will be added in the Upstate by 26 companies that announced capital investment plans during the first half of 2010. Many of these companies come from the four industry sectors the Upstate SC Alliance has targeted for economic investment in the region: automotive, advanced materials, biosciences and energy. And seven of the companies are international, with headquarters based in Canada, Japan, Germany, Australia, France and South Korea.

This seemed to be the most appropriate place for this news. German Automaker ZF Group to invest 350 million in Laurens and hire 900 employees by 2015. ZF currently has a suspension plant in Duncan that employs 150 people. The new plant will manufacture transmissions for various automakers. Here's the link to the state's article about the development. ZF Group investment

ETA: Longer article posted on Wyff about investment Wyff ZF Group Announcement

Love the fact this 350 million investment is the largest in Laurens County history. Sweet. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official. USC and GHS will be partnering to expand USC's medical school in Greenville. They hope to grow the enrollment to over 400 in Greenville over the next decade. The State's superior reporting was rather unclear. The article made it sound like the hospital is doing most of the spending for this to take place. I'd rather it be MUSC, but we'll take the medical students studying here full time either way. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...