CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Can't argue with that. I'm not sure I like this development as much as I did when it was first announced, but i'll have to wait on the finished product to decide. Having a Costco, Rooms to Go, and a Myrtle Beach-style residential highrise all together doesn't seem like it fits together too me. It's like they just took a whole bunch of stuff and just stuck it together to make this development. Hopefully, it will turn out better then I think it will.

The plan is terrible!

Everything just put in a place.

Who is this office and what if they don't get them?

What does this do to their plan?

Going back, the plan does have more connectivity than Greenridge.

A good start.

At Greenridge:

Can you walk from Lowes to Wine Store, Book Store, Sporting Good Store? No.

Can you really walk from Book store to outparcel restaraunts or retail location? No.

A very weak design for sure as far as pedestrian connectivity.

Hopefully the mall site will be better.

So far it looks like there are at least sidewalks connectiing all parts together.

We will have to see how the developer evolves this project.

Hopefully they are committed to a real mixed-use project.

Give us everyone some idea of what you think it should look like???

I personally would rather see it look more like a miniature version of Solaire at the Premiere Trade Plaza, which is nearing completion in Orlando. Maybe not the entire building, but if you take out the middle of Solaire and put the two ends up against one another to provide 4 units on each floor, each with a rounded balcony and rounded floor-to-ceiling glass windows, it would look more sleek, modern, and less beach-like. :shades:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I personally would rather see it look more like a miniature version of Solaire at the Premiere Trade Plaza, which is nearing completion in Orlando. Maybe not the entire building, but if you take out the middle of Solaire and put the two ends up against one another to provide 4 units on each floor, each with a rounded balcony and rounded floor-to-ceiling glass windows, it would look more sleek, modern, and less beach-like. :shades:

I couldn't resist making a comparison between that building and The Peacock Hotel & Spa. Solaire is 31 stories and $52-million. The Peacock Hotel & Spa is 11 stories and $60-million. Difference = height vs. LUXURY. It gives a nice example of the level of quality we can expect. :shades:

Now, back on topic; I still say the proposed residential tower at Magnolia Park Town Center is a bland design. I have never said I oppose balconies, but there are more creative ways to design them. As I also said, I will not complain if it is built, because of its impact on the City's population. I am for more high density projects, and this is a great opportunity to get it going in view of I-85. :)

I couldn't resist making a comparison between that building and The Peacock Hotel & Spa. Solaire is 31 stories and $52-million. The Peacock Hotel & Spa is 11 stories and $60-million. Difference = height vs. LUXURY. It gives a nice example of the level of quality we can expect. :shades:

I'm sure that the location, labor cost, materials cost, and economies of scale (there are two other towers being built simultaneously at the Plaza along with Solaire) had nothing to do with the difference. :whistling: I'm also certain that if Solaire were to be financed and constructed in 2007/2008 and alone, it would far exceed $60M. ;)

Edited by RestedTraveler

Now, back on topic; I still say the proposed residential tower at Magnolia Park Town Center is a bland design. I have never said I oppose balconies, but there are more creative ways to design them. As I also said, I will not complain if it is built, because of its impact on the City's population. I am for more high density projects, and this is a great opportunity to get it going in view of I-85. :)

This project will most likelybe another loser!!

Just throw in th towel now.

Disfunctional tied in with a second tier city.

A sure loser.

Give it up now and focus on other parts of the municipality.

The mall property is dead!!!

Now and forever!

Say goodby.

I'm sure that the location, labor cost, materials cost, and economies of scale (there are two other towers being built simultaneously at the Plaza along with Solaire) had nothing to do with the difference. :whistling: I'm also certain that if Solaire were to be financed and constructed in 2007/2008 and alone, it would far exceed $60M. ;)

Absolutely! I was not at all saying that we are doing better, just that you can look at two seperate projects with relatively similar costs and different styles for an interesting comparison. I was really shocked at the price tag applied to our new hotel, but upon learning of its level of quality, my shock turned into awe. :D

You guys should guit your complaining about it being an ugly design and instead be thankful that were getting a pretty good sized midrise(s) at that location. :thumbsup:

For the record, I called it "bland." It could use a little sprucing up, but I am confident it will look better in real life, with patio chairs and tables, greenery, and maybe even people out there. :shades:

For the record, I called it "bland." It could use a little sprucing up, but I am confident it will look better in real life, with patio chairs and tables, greenery, and maybe even people out there. :shades:

Exactly and sorry that I put ugly instead of bland. The building is bland, not ugly. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

Same here. My original comments centered around the fact that it wasn't my ideal, but that I thought the glass gave it a clean look. I only voiced specific criticisms when greenupstate asked me to clarify what I did and did not like about it. Overall, I am excited about the project and think it will be a positive for that area.

My two cents, incorporating this project into the area that it is going is going to be difficult. We all want something really nice and not just really nice big boxes but I think that is what will happen. Woodruff Road is all sprawl type development with huge parking lots and nothing else. It's an ugly road despite the fact that everything on it is new. The Shops at Greenridge are better than the rest of the road but they still are not that great, and trying to drive through there is just plain dangerous, just like the rest of the road. 20 years from now, maybe even less than that, Woodruff Road will be like Laurens Road and stores will move out and move on. If we are lucky, a wave of redevelopment will come in and make the area more urban (keyword). Magnolia Park Town Center is the first piece of this puzzle along with the verdae development not that far away. It is the first major redevelopment project on the road so it should be alot nicer than the other developments. It will be fronted by 385 and Woodruff road on it's sides so essestially it's surrounded by 5-7 lanes of traffic on both sides and 85 will be nearby too. I don't think that tall buildings will work well on this site. I think they will stick out very badly and with the amount of pavement around them they won't have good views of anything, unless you would enjoy a view of the Target parking lot. I think a mix of 3-6 story buildings would be the best fit for this development. I tried to find what some of Gulfside's other developments have looked like but I've found nothing so far so I don't what they are aiming for. We can only hope that they will think about what makes Greenville special and incorporate that into their designs. The site needs a development that has staying power for the long run, for example longer than 20-30 years. It's a large site so they should take their time building it up like a real city. Start around the movie theater and Sports Authority and work your way out. Hopefully they will design it with the car in mind but not in focus. Include a bus stop, it looks like it will have a lot of sidewalks, and maybe a park somewhere. This is an important site and I hope they really improve it and not just replace what is already there with something new. It should have a lot of connectivity to Woodruff Road and not just entrances off of the road. But I guess only time will tell how this turns out.

I agree. I can't go off renderings to decide whether it's going to look nice or not. I don't like the way that building looks either, just like the rest of you guys, but I can't go off a rendering that could change any time, same goes with will a mid-rise look good there or stick out like a sore thumb. I have to wait for the finished product before I can make my judgement and decision.

Edited by g-man430

I walked through Greenville Mall today for the first time in like 2 years and man was it a sad site. Me and my friend were the only ones inside the mall except for when we were in the Sports Authority and Palmetto Home and Garden. Those two stores and L.A. Fashions are the only stores left inside the entire mall. According to a sign inside the food court area, the mall will be closing for good August 5th.

My two cents, incorporating this project into the area that it is going is going to be difficult. We all want something really nice and not just really nice big boxes but I think that is what will happen. Woodruff Road is all sprawl type development with huge parking lots and nothing else. It's an ugly road despite the fact that everything on it is new. The Shops at Greenridge are better than the rest of the road but they still are not that great, and trying to drive through there is just plain dangerous, just like the rest of the road. 20 years from now, maybe even less than that, Woodruff Road will be like Laurens Road and stores will move out and move on. If we are lucky, a wave of redevelopment will come in and make the area more urban (keyword). Magnolia Park Town Center is the first piece of this puzzle along with the verdae development not that far away. It is the first major redevelopment project on the road so it should be alot nicer than the other developments. It will be fronted by 385 and Woodruff road on it's sides so essestially it's surrounded by 5-7 lanes of traffic on both sides and 85 will be nearby too. I don't think that tall buildings will work well on this site. I think they will stick out very badly and with the amount of pavement around them they won't have good views of anything, unless you would enjoy a view of the Target parking lot. I think a mix of 3-6 story buildings would be the best fit for this development. I tried to find what some of Gulfside's other developments have looked like but I've found nothing so far so I don't what they are aiming for. We can only hope that they will think about what makes Greenville special and incorporate that into their designs. The site needs a development that has staying power for the long run, for example longer than 20-30 years. It's a large site so they should take their time building it up like a real city. Start around the movie theater and Sports Authority and work your way out. Hopefully they will design it with the car in mind but not in focus. Include a bus stop, it looks like it will have a lot of sidewalks, and maybe a park somewhere. This is an important site and I hope they really improve it and not just replace what is already there with something new. It should have a lot of connectivity to Woodruff Road and not just entrances off of the road. But I guess only time will tell how this turns out.

Outstanding post. I agree with all of it. I personally don't see the appeal of a view that will be parking lots and interstates. This will definitely be a "seeing is believing' type project. They need to be more different and urban than everything else on Woodruff, that will make it stand out and give it a sense of place.

Outstanding post. I agree with all of it. I personally don't see the appeal of a view that will be parking lots and interstates. This will definitely be a "seeing is believing' type project. They need to be more different and urban than everything else on Woodruff, that will make it stand out and give it a sense of place.

I agree with both of those posts. I'm curious about the price of the space in the residential high rise. Most "refined" developments include a lot of pedestrian-friendly areas and upscale stores and thus can charge high prices for condominiums. At least for me, I would rather live near Main Street if I were to buy a condominium, not next to a Costco, even if it is a "refined" shopping center with a Rooms to Go.

Wish the whole Woodruff road area was more walkable. I live down town and personally would prefer to take the bus to that area and then walk, bike, or ride a tram (driving and parking on Woodruff road is no fun). If their was a series of tram-bike-and walk only sidewalks that connected Magnolia, Verda Greenridge ICAR and a light rail to DT I think that would help this area considerately. What impression a couple of artfully designed pedestrian bridges over I-85 would make (think Falls bridge). :)