The Food Thread

gs3

Word on the street is that Stellar Wine Bar on Main had it's final service tonight. I wish I would have tried it out.

This is true. The good news though is that the space won't be empty for long. Trio will be expanding into it.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

Dined with a close friend at Harry & Jean's this evening and have a few comments to share...

The interior design is roomy yet cozy. Overall, I'd call it classy on a fairly simplistic level with a tinge of very subdued elegance. The atmosphere was pleasant, despite the fact that the restaurant was crowded with patrons and staff.

The service was great. Our waitress was always around, but rarely seen until we needed her. She was courteous, outgoing, intelligent, and represented the company quite satisfactorily while fulfilling her duties. Needless to say, she was generously rewarded.

Fortunately the food quality was on par with the atmosphere and service, because the portions were half the expected size for the price. At $28, each delicious entrée was served with a single side item (plus a single piece of Norwegian cornbread), neither of which were adequately portioned in relation to the total cost. My stomach was barely satisfied and had plenty of room to expand. We reviewed the dessert menu (which seemed good) before deciding to head back downtown for the remainder of our evening together.

The report card on this place from tonight's experience:

Design and Atmosphere = B+

Service = A

Food Quality = B+

Price and Quantity = E-

Overall Satisfaction = 6.5/10

Heard this place is getting a new menu with higher prices. Also heard the owner sold out his family-based American concept to a foreign investor.

Heard this place is getting a new menu with higher prices. Also heard the owner sold out his family-based American concept to a foreign investor.

Hmmmm...sounds like somebody is trying to kill their business. Like when the Corona's people spread rumors about Monterrey's back in the 90s. Except you're going with the economic/xenophobic angle.

And for the record, I've never even been to the place, and really don't care. That's just a very fishy comment from someone with one post.

Anyone heard Carolina Ale House maybe opening in old Flat Rock Grill on Woodruff. Also saw where Stax Original is going in now closed Perkins on Woodruff Rd

Both of these sound like great additions to the chains and excellent locations. (Ignoring Woodruff traffic, of course.)

Fortunately, I have not heard a single thing about THESE folks getting menus with higher prices and possibly selling out to the Taliban. :-)

For the record, I am not trying to kill their business. I am a regular who stays in Greenville for business on a routine basis. I find the best way to stay "in the know" of the Greenville happenings is through urbanplanet. I care about Harry & Jean's because I really like their menu and their food. I would be disappointed if there was some kind of shake-up that lessened all the positive things they have going for them.

I don't understand why there are so many intelligent "conversations" on this forum and you have chosen to make a negative assumption about my post? I'm sorry you misunderstood my intentions.

Hmmmm...sounds like somebody is trying to kill their business. Like when the Corona's people spread rumors about Monterrey's back in the 90s. Except you're going with the economic/xenophobic angle.

And for the record, I've never even been to the place, and really don't care. That's just a very fishy comment from someone with one post.

For the record, I am not trying to kill their business. I am a regular who stays in Greenville for business on a routine basis. I find the best way to stay "in the know" of the Greenville happenings is through urbanplanet. I care about Harry & Jean's because I really like their menu and their food. I would be disappointed if there was some kind of shake-up that lessened all the positive things they have going for them.

I don't understand why there are so many intelligent "conversations" on this forum and you have chosen to make a negative assumption about my post? I'm sorry you misunderstood my intentions.

While I might not have called out Quinn so vigorously as did StrangeCock, I am another reader who found that Quinn's original message seemed to have a xenophobic tone to it. I am not making any accusations as to anyone's intent; I'm just describing my impression of the message and my reaction to it. The expression "sold out" carries a decidedly negative connotation and suggests to me a good-bad relationship between "family-based American concept" and "foreign investor." The inference seems to be that these two concepts are mutually exclusive and that the ethnic background of an investor (American versus non-American) has some bearing on the legitimacy of the enterprise.

So, we have two apparently negative statements in a first-time post from a new member. I can see how this could be interpreted, by some long-time members at least, as a troll. I am relieved to learn that this was not the intention of the new member who posted the message.

Allow me to clarify some facts as I understand them. The Harry and Jean's brand is owned by Pinnacle Hospitality, LLC, a real estate developer and management company that is firmly established in the Upstate (http://www.pinnhospitality.com). Pinnacle Hospitality's corporate and management "Leadership Teams" are public record and include both Ralph Meranto, founder of Harry and Jean's, and his brother, David, who is the restaurant's general manager.

Pinnacle Hospitality was founded in 1999 by C.V. "Sam" Shabhag, an alumnus of North Carolina State School of Engineering as well as of Bombay University. Shabhag's previous real estate activities include development of shopping centers in Greenville and Spartanburg; development of Bennett’s Steakhouse, Prime Sirloin, De’metres and Chandi’s Bistro in Greenville, Duncan and Spartanburg; a medical center in Woodruff, and Parkway Plaza, a 126,000-square-foot class "A" office building in Greenville. In addition to serving as Chairman of Pinnacle Hospitality, Shabhag serves as a founder and a corporate director of First South Bank.

It would appear - and I am only speculating here - that the Meranto brothers were in need of investors and thus turned to this well established, locally owned company. There seems to be some evidence to suggest that the relationship was formed some months ago, perhaps even before the end of last year.

The Merantos, the Shabhag family and many others who are involved in Pinnacle Hospitality are settled Upstate residents who are clearly committed to business development in this region, thus allowing Harry & Jean's to be classified as locally owned, at least in my mind. That having been said, I hope that we have seen the last of any discussion regarding the ethnic heritage of any business owner or investor.

Welcome to the forum, Quinn. I look forward to your perspectives on Greenville.

[Disclaimer: I have no relationship to, or affiliation with, Pinnacle Hospitality, LLC, in any form other than as a well fed and watered H&J customer.]

Wonderful clarification... I would like to add that Harry & Jean's is a great, locally owned family concept with delicious food, however the only fact that is not correct is that David Meranto is no longer the GM and has no affiliation with the restaurant and Pinnacle Hospitality.

While I might not have called out Quinn so vigorously as did StrangeCock, I am another reader who found that Quinn's original message seemed to have a xenophobic tone to it. I am not making any accusations as to anyone's intent; I'm just describing my impression of the message and my reaction to it. The expression "sold out" carries a decidedly negative connotation and suggests to me a good-bad relationship between "family-based American concept" and "foreign investor." The inference seems to be that these two concepts are mutually exclusive and that the ethnic background of an investor (American versus non-American) has some bearing on the legitimacy of the enterprise.

So, we have two apparently negative statements in a first-time post from a new member. I can see how this could be interpreted, by some long-time members at least, as a troll. I am relieved to learn that this was not the intention of the new member who posted the message.

Allow me to clarify some facts as I understand them. The Harry and Jean's brand is owned by Pinnacle Hospitality, LLC, a real estate developer and management company that is firmly established in the Upstate (http://www.pinnhospitality.com). Pinnacle Hospitality's corporate and management "Leadership Teams" are public record and include both Ralph Meranto, founder of Harry and Jean's, and his brother, David, who is the restaurant's general manager.

Pinnacle Hospitality was founded in 1999 by C.V. "Sam" Shabhag, an alumnus of North Carolina State School of Engineering as well as of Bombay University. Shabhag's previous real estate activities include development of shopping centers in Greenville and Spartanburg; development of Bennett’s Steakhouse, Prime Sirloin, De’metres and Chandi’s Bistro in Greenville, Duncan and Spartanburg; a medical center in Woodruff, and Parkway Plaza, a 126,000-square-foot class "A" office building in Greenville. In addition to serving as Chairman of Pinnacle Hospitality, Shabhag serves as a founder and a corporate director of First South Bank.

It would appear - and I am only speculating here - that the Meranto brothers were in need of investors and thus turned to this well established, locally owned company. There seems to be some evidence to suggest that the relationship was formed some months ago, perhaps even before the end of last year.

The Merantos, the Shabhag family and many others who are involved in Pinnacle Hospitality are settled Upstate residents who are clearly committed to business development in this region, thus allowing Harry & Jean's to be classified as locally owned, at least in my mind. That having been said, I hope that we have seen the last of any discussion regarding the ethnic heritage of any business owner or investor.

Welcome to the forum, Quinn. I look forward to your perspectives on Greenville.

[Disclaimer: I have no relationship to, or affiliation with, Pinnacle Hospitality, LLC, in any form other than as a well fed and watered H&J customer.]

Wonderful clarification... I would like to add that Harry & Jean's is a great, locally owned family concept with delicious food, however the only fact that is not correct is that David Meranto is no longer the GM and has no affiliation with the restaurant and Pinnacle Hospitality.

Thanks for the interesting update. The web sites of both companies need to be updated, as his name is still given as GM of H&J's.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Is this the old Steak and Ale location?

It looks to be going into the restaurant space "under the water tower," formerly the Fish Market and many, many, MANY other restaurants. The way places fail in that location, I've always suspected it was on top of a former burial ground or something. I sure hope this (or some other future project) can break this "curse."

Is this the old Steak and Ale location?

It looks to be going into the restaurant space "under the water tower," formerly the Fish Market and many, many, MANY other restaurants. The way places fail in that location, I've always suspected it was on top of a former burial ground or something. I sure hope this (or some other future project) can break this "curse."

Other end of Villa Road from the old Steak and Ale. Some of the former occupants include Rick Erwin's Low Country Grill, AKA Erwin's on Villa, and Abbondanza Southern Italiano Cucina. I swear there was another steak house in there somewhere, but I can't recall the name. All of them failed to thrive. (I seem to recall some friends mentioning that Fish Market used to be there, but that was before my time and before Rene opened the place of the same name on Haywood Road.) Perhaps Bimini's might do better to open on Woods Lake Road, where Italian Market used to be. (By the way, I wonder what happened to the plan to open a Friar's Tavern in that location as proposed last summer.)

• 5 months later...