The Food Thread

gs3

• 1 month later...

In an interview with Mike Switzer on SC ETV Radio's "South Carolina Business Review" program this morning, Kristin Kuhlke, owner of Cupcake, a dessert store in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant and Columbia (www.freshcupcakes.com), announced that she plans to open a downtown Greenville store soon. Though no specific date has been set for the opening, she said that she was hopeful that the store will be serving tasty treats by the end of January. Anyone know where the store will be?

Absolutely agree! I picked it up the other day as well and was super impressed! Kudos to whoever is putting it together.

It honestly looks WAY better than most of the subscription magazines being published in/around Greenville, and the content is much better researched and well written. Hopefully it will help raise the bar for some of our other local magazines.

Picked up my first copy of the new magazine Edible Upcountry this weekend. Very well done. :alc:

IMG_9473.jpg

...Kudos to whoever is putting it together.

It honestly looks WAY better than most of the subscription magazines being published in/around Greenville, and the content is much better researched and well written. Hopefully it will help raise the bar for some of our other local magazines.

Please give us examples of the local publications that should take note. Thank you! I would love to be an advocate for their improvement in quality wherever possible. :)

At the risk of offending someone who may work at these publications, I'll explain what I mean. Also, I'm looking at them from both a consumer and a graphic designer's standpoint, so I realize I'm a lot pickier than most. Here are the local magazines that come to mind and my opinion:

Talk Magazine —

I flip through this magazine whenever I see it, but I wouldn't pay for it. The articles aren't very well written or researched and they're often 90% quotations. Also, you can always count on the extremely-over-airbrushed woman on the cover. :)

Business Black Box —

I can't speak for the content of this magazine. Maybe someone else can comment about it. It might be good, I really don't know. I've picked up several copies to thumb through, but everything is so photoshopped that I can't tell an article from an advertisement, and I find it really hard to look at.

G Magazine —

I do really enjoy G Magazine. They have great photography that I think shows off Greenville. I've learned about a lot of interesting places in and around Greenville by reading it, and the articles seem well-written and relevant to me as a Greenville resident.

Greenville Business Magazine —

I see this one in business offices everywhere I go. I always look at it, but again, I'd never subscribe. It seems to be mostly press release/business profile type content, which doesn't really appeal to me.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on these. Am I being too harsh, or do you agree?

Edited by Lib

At the risk of offending someone who may work at these publications, I'll explain what I mean. Also, I'm looking at them from both a consumer and a graphic designer's standpoint, so I realize I'm a lot pickier than most. Here are the local magazines that come to mind and my opinion:

Talk Magazine —

I flip through this magazine whenever I see it, but I wouldn't pay for it. The articles aren't very well written or researched and they're often 90% quotations. Also, you can always count on the extremely-over-airbrushed woman on the cover. :)

Business Black Box —

I can't speak for the content of this magazine. Maybe someone else can comment about it. It might be good, I really don't know. I've picked up several copies to thumb through, but everything is so photoshopped that I can't tell an article from an advertisement, and I find it really hard to look at.

G Magazine —

I do really enjoy G Magazine. They have great photography that I think shows off Greenville. I've learned about a lot of interesting places in and around Greenville by reading it, and the articles seem well-written and relevant to me as a Greenville resident.

Greenville Business Magazine —

I see this one in business offices everywhere I go. I always look at it, but again, I'd never subscribe. It seems to be mostly press release/business profile type content, which doesn't really appeal to me.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on these. Am I being too harsh, or do you agree?

This is the food thread, not a magazine thread.

• 1 month later...

Getting beck to the topic of food...

I've been concerned about the future of Justin's Steakhouse on Pelham Rd. ever since I noticed that the owners of Irashiai had applied for a permit to operate on the premises where Justin's currently operates. Irashiai's web site confirms the impending move, proclaiming that the owners will open at the new location as of January 10.

Well, I dined at Justin's last night and got the straight scoop from the staff. It's all true, but all is not lost. The new owners of Justin's (apparently Bernie and Candace sold the business quietly earlier this year) are looking for a new venue, perhaps a slightly smaller space. I liked the Pelham Road location, with its intimate bar and pleasantly furnished dining rooms, but it seems those dining rooms seldom filled up. Let's hope we see Justin's opening soon in a new location, as both the food and the service, especially under the new management, make it stand out as one of the better restaurants in the city.

(Edited to correct spelling of Irashiai.)

Edited by RiverWalker

• 1 month later...

Greenville's Euphoria festival received a nice shout-out in a blog by jazz musician Mark Rapp.

...one of the more enjoyable types of events we play are the ones where food and wine are involved like the Euphoria Food, Wine and Music festival in Greenville, SC where we’ve played host to saxophone greats Branford Marsalis, Walter Blanding, Jr and Don Braden. There, we get to experience an amazing array of wines and damn good southern cooking – both of which are good bait to catch and hook a jazz musician.

Source: http://www.wineandjazz.com/posts/a-brooklyn-winery/

• 1 month later...

I had a Cuban just last night at the Blue Ridge Brewery. Quite tasty. I know the Bohemian has one too that's supposed to be good, but I haven't had it.

Both are great restaurants.

I've had excellent cuban food at Mojitos on Main near the baseball stadium. I thought I heard something about them closing, but I can't remember now. Anybody know if they're still open?

Edited by p2y2r7o

Both are great restaurants.

I've had excellent cuban food at Mojitos on Main near the baseball stadium. I thought I heard something about them closing, but I can't remember now. Anybody know if they're still open?

Late last year the owners of Mojitos briefly changed the name to Pulse on Main, reportedly dropping the Latin focus, but the name has been changed back to Mojitos, and I've been told that the Cuban-themed menu has returned. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't wait to try all of the new places that are/have opened downtown. Of the slew of new establishments, Nose Dive and Trappe Door are two that are high on my priority list.

Nose Dive has a very eclectic menu, but priced great and tastes great. All made from scratch. Many items you can't find elsewhere in downtown Gvegas. Their lobster roll is really good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...