The Food Thread

gs3

My wife and I had dinner last night at Rosalindas on North Pleasantberg and it was amazing! We were over from Spartanburg as we have been searching all around for authentic Mexican and had heard this place was the real deal per John Stevenson from the Greenville paper. It is the real deal! The gaucamole & pico de gallo are so fresh its insane. The margaritas are truly incredible as they must use a homeade mix. The entrees were great also and I could go on and on.

I had heard that they were going to open a location downtown. Did this ever materialize?

Carlos, the son, moved back to Mexico and got married. His mom now runs it.

Glad to hear the food is still good....I thought it was exceptional when Carlos was running the place. Used to go almost weekly. After he left, the interior changed a little and seemed to lose a little bit of the funky, eclectic, non-Mexican vibe (Nancy Sinatra singing These Boots Were Made for Walkin in Spanish :lol: ).

I'll have to go back again and check it out.

• 4 months later...

What are you meaning by "nice"? I would recommend Manna Deli for sandwiches and such. For a unique treat, I recommend the affordable and absolutely delicious all-you-can-eat lunch buffet at Handi.

Edit: I somehow missed the Sunday part. I don't think Manna Deli is open on Sundays, and I am not sure if Handi has the lunch buffet available on Sunday either, although I assume they may.

Edited by Skyliner

• 1 month later...

WOW! I had never tried Ware's until yesterday. Fantastic burger! :thumbsup: Anyone know the history of this place? How long it has been around? What the neat building used to be? Etc?

How was it compared to Lil Rebel? My wife and I go to Lil Rebel quite a bit but never seem to make it down to Ware's

Wish I could compare, but I've never been to Lil Rebel. Is their food good?

Yeah we enjoy it very much. I'm partial to the country fried steak with okra, mac & cheese, pintos. I'm also a huge fan of the grilled ham & cheese (add grilled onions) plate. My wife usually gets a burger. She says she likes the burgers at Five Guys better but Lil Rebel is much closer to us as we live in the Pebble Creek area. When you order a plate expect so much food that you won't be able to eat it all. They heap the fries on. The cole slaw is good as well.

Anyone know of a good Chinese Restaurant, sit down style. And I'm not talking about your take-out and buffet type places. Not Lieu's Bistro, PF Chengs, Doc Chey's (horrible by the way). some real Chinese food a place that has peeking duck perhaps? I've been to Dragon Den seems to be the best so far but I've had better, it's more of a glorified take-out place. I'm beginning to think Greenville is not diverse enough yet to have real authentic Chinese. Can someone help me out?

Anyone know of a good Chinese Restaurant, sit down style. And I'm not talking about your take-out and buffet type places. Not Lieu's Bistro, PF Chengs, Doc Chey's (horrible by the way). some real Chinese food a place that has peeking duck perhaps? I've been to Dragon Den seems to be the best so far but I've had better, it's more of a glorified take-out place. I'm beginning to think Greenville is not diverse enough yet to have real authentic Chinese. Can someone help me out?

The dish is actually Peking duck, not "peeking." Peking is the former Westernized name for Beijing. But I'm sure you knew that. ;)

P.S. Greenville is easily diverse enough to have what you're looking for, as well as the other places you mentioned. Most metros can't say that.

The dish is actually Peking duck, not "peeking." Peking is the former Westernized name for Beijing. But I'm sure you knew that. ;)

P.S. Greenville is easily diverse enough to have what you're looking for, as well as the other places you mentioned. Most metros can't say that.

opps sorry about the misspelling. Looking for a Good local non national chain type. Yes I agree we are diverse in restaurant offerings. I would say Greenville does not have a big Asian/Chinese population though.

opps sorry about the misspelling. Looking for a Good local non national chain type. Yes I agree we are diverse in restaurant offerings. I would say Greenville does not have a big Asian/Chinese population though.

I wonder if their is someone in China hankering for an upscale meat and three? You know, where you can get some collards, peas, mac and cheese and baked ham?

I wonder if their is someone in China hankering for an upscale meat and three? You know, where you can get some collards, peas, mac and cheese and baked ham?

I don't know about in China, but now I do. Thanks a lot. Except for the peas you can keep those and give me some cornbread instead.

Meat and three's of course are a staple in this area.

My favorite meat and three, I'm sure due to proximity, is the Lil Rebel Restaurant. I know my wife goes to Gene's on a somewhat regular basis due to the fact she works downtown. So instead of finding Peking Duck point me to the other tasty meat and three places :)

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say that the reviews about Chipotle are spot on. It is a great place to eat, even when time is limited. The quality is definitely better than Salsarita's and Moe's, even though the style and type of food are equivalent. The guacamole is phenomenal and the salsa definitely tastes more fresh. The meat is marinated in a tasty, spicy sauce and grilled to perfection before being cut for the burritos and fajitas. The tortilla chips are great, with a hint of lime juice and sea salt sprinkled over top. Definitely a highly recommended place to eat a very satisfying large meal for under $15 per person (minus the alcoholic beverage). I dined there twice last week, once inside and once on the go. Service was great despite the large crowds. :thumbsup:

Liquid Highway's gelato rocks!!!!!! OMG! The best gelato I've had in the Upstate and it is made locally! Had never tried LH's gelato until this weekend. Liquid Highway at the Hyatt sponsored an event with Concerned Citizens for Animals. I tip my hat to Liquid Highway for the excellent work they do in the community! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, while at the event on Saturday, I was warm, not in a coffee mood, and decided to try their gelato. The texture is untouchable by any other area gelato shops IMO. Way to go Liquid Highway!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow guys! This is a pretty big honor. Open Table is the primo online reservations service for better restaurants. Their 2009 Diner's Choice awards have been decided and Greenville has a restaurant in the top 50 in the nation! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Rick Erwin's was selected in the top 50 for 2009, overall.

Fantastic to see the company of other restaurant Rick Erwins is in........

Blue Hill at Stone Barns, this restaurant was featured on this past season of Top Chef. Tom Colicchio and Padma took the contestants to Blue Hill and the contestants had to cook fresh, organic, Blue Hill style.

French Laundry by Thomas Keller is on the list, and French Laundry has consistently been ranked as one of the top 5 restaurants in the U.S.

This is really quite the honor for both Rick Erwin's and the fact that Greenville has a top 50.

Here is the top 50 list for 2009:

http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=358

Here is an article about the award from WYFF:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/19399700/detail.html

Edited by gsupstate

Wow guys! This is a pretty big honor. Open Table is the primo online reservations service for better restaurants. Their 2009 Diner's Choice awards have been decided and Greenville has a restaurant in the top 50 in the nation! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Rick Erwin's was selected in the top 50 for 2009, overall.

Fantastic to see the company of other restaurant Rick Erwins is in........

Blue Hill at Stone Barns, this restaurant was featured on this past season of Top Chef. Tom Colicchio and Padma took the contestants to Blue Hill and the contestants had to cook fresh, organic, Blue Hill style.

French Laundry by Thomas Keller is on the list, and French Laundry has consistently been ranked as one of the top 5 restaurants in the U.S.

This is really quite the honor for both Rick Erwin's and the fact that Greenville has a top 50.

Here is the top 50 list for 2009:

http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=358

Here is an article about the award from WYFF:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/19399700/detail.html

Wow, this is a great honor, indeed! I have eaten at Rick Erwin's once, and really enjoyed the experience. I think it compares favorably to the other restaurants on that list. :thumbsup:

I've heard nothing but rave reviews (from 100% authentic, actual Asians) about Chin Chin on East Butler Road. I think the chef is a former state chef of Korea, or something like that.

Chin Chin is AWESOME!!! They also make their own kim chee! I think they will give you a sample if you ask politely. (Have you ever priced that stuff at the health food store? $15 for a little 10-oz jar!).

Added: although, we did get a quite a chuckle out of the painting over the kitchen. It looks like an A-bomb going off. :scared:

Edited by silverseale