Pleasant Ridge Town Center

mcheiss

• 1 month later...

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's Democrat Gazette article said that Pleasant Ridge will be adding Frock & Sole, a fashion store and Huntington Learning Center. It also stated that Lou Schickel is searching for some upscale restaurants including a steakhouse, a Mexican restaurant and something along the lines of The Cheesecake Factory.

The article also said that Pleasant Ridge is 80% full. It seems like there are several empty store fronts at Pleasant Ridge to me.

Other than the restaurants and Fresh Market (which is great!), there is nothing appealing to me in Pleasant Ridge. A lot of the stores are just relocations from other parts of the city. I wonder why Shickel is having such a tough time recruiting new tenants to the area?

I believe there are two primary reasons:

1 - He's a "local" developer with little credibility outside of this market.

2 - His development, architecturally, is relatively poor...it is not well done in my opinion and certainly doesn't feel (that) upscale.

We ate at Bonefish last night for the first time and had a great meal! We had to wait about an hour but it was well worth it. It is a great addition to the seafood niche in the market which is lacking overall. I hope it continues to do well and opens the door for more high end restaurant chains.

On another note, we walked over to Parisian/Belks while we were waiting. As noted earlier, the conversion has already begun. It really reminds me of MM Cohn now. There is way too much merchandise in the store. It is very cramped, especially in the walkways. They claim it will still be high end but I just don't see it happening.

We ate at Bonefish last night for the first time and had a great meal! We had to wait about an hour but it was well worth it. It is a great addition to the seafood niche in the market which is lacking overall. I hope it continues to do well and opens the door for more high end restaurant chains.

On another note, we walked over to Parisian/Belks while we were waiting. As noted earlier, the conversion has already begun. It really reminds me of MM Cohn now. There is way too much merchandise in the store. It is very cramped, especially in the walkways. They claim it will still be high end but I just don't see it happening.

How was the decor of Bonefish?

How was the decor of Bonefish?

It's quite nice in there. A bit dark, but casual elegant. I've eaten there a few times already and have been to several other locations. Definitely a welcome addition to LRs seafood option considering we had next to none before.

I really wish that Belk had just keep the Parisian stores as a seperate company, but still owned them. I hate that we are lossing our upscale department store. I also think its looks and feals much like an MM cohn right before there slow down fall. I hope it stays upscale, but like many others, i just fell that its going to lose its edge. how sad! as for the center its self. i like it. very nice. but at the same time, theres not that many new things. its all stores that have relocated there. and as to the 80% occupancy as the ADG siad, id like to see the stores to prove it. But i do think a borders would be great there.

Why cant we get a macys or a nordstorms. or something like that. Its not like Little Rock is a small podunk city. its a nice size. it has to be the biggest city with out a macys. oh well. i guess its back to dillards. OH WHAT FUN!!

I really wish that Belk had just keep the Parisian stores as a seperate company, but still owned them. I hate that we are lossing our upscale department store. I also think its looks and feals much like an MM cohn right before there slow down fall. I hope it stays upscale, but like many others, i just fell that its going to lose its edge. how sad! as for the center its self. i like it. very nice. but at the same time, theres not that many new things. its all stores that have relocated there. and as to the 80% occupancy as the ADG siad, id like to see the stores to prove it. But i do think a borders would be great there.

Why cant we get a macys or a nordstorms. or something like that. Its not like Little Rock is a small podunk city. its a nice size. it has to be the biggest city with out a macys. oh well. i guess its back to dillards. OH WHAT FUN!!

LR is too small for a Nordstrom's but supposedly Macy's is looking at this market and NWA.

LR is too small for a Nordstrom's but supposedly Macy's is looking at this market and NWA.

It's turning into Belk's because ever since they opened they have not been able to move their better merchandise. The men's has been the worst. It only sells when it's 80 % off. People around here are too price sensitive to buy enough $200 items to warrant a large upscale store such as Nordstroms. Some of the guys I know that work at Parisian's say, for ex., the shoes they sell are $30-$80, not the $100 + stuff that would be needed to support a better store.

It's turning into Belk's because ever since they opened they have not been able to move their better merchandise. The men's has been the worst. It only sells when it's 80 % off. People around here are too price sensitive to buy enough $200 items to warrant a large upscale store such as Nordstroms. Some of the guys I know that work at Parisian's say, for ex., the shoes they sell are $30-$80, not the $100 + stuff that would be needed to support a better store.

There are plenty of people to buy that...they're just not used to Parisians...or even worse, Belk. Dillard's is the go-to for most people...especially with shoes. Also, you can't discount the fact that Parisian/Pleasant Ridge hasn't made much of a splash simply b/c its not a major development - its just not on people's radar.

For example, I have yet to patronize Parisians. Its not close to my house and frankly I have plenty of options at Park Plaza/Mid-towne/Heights/Hillcrest. There is not enough "gravity" to pull me in, and I live in LR - much less the thousands who commute in to work and shop.

Its turning into Belk's because Belk's bought the Parisian name and every Parisian in the country is being converted.

Its turning into Belk's because Belk's bought the Parisian name and every Parisian in the country is being converted.

Oh, I know. I'm just telling you what the people who work there and their competitors have told me. Do you think nicer retailers haven't moved in just because of location? There are not many high dollar eateries, either. There ARE people here with money, just not as many as closer large cities, such as Memphis suburbs, Bentonville, etc. I have a good friend who opened a fine clothing shop at the new mall in Rogers and she sells the vast majority of her items at less than half. She said Coach does the same thing there. It's the Abercrombies, Ann Taylor, etc price ranges that'll thrive here I think. Just my opinion.

Oh, I know. I'm just telling you what the people who work there and their competitors have told me. Do you think nicer retailers haven't moved in just because of location? There are not many high dollar eateries, either. There ARE people here with money, just not as many as closer large cities, such as Memphis suburbs, Bentonville, etc. I have a good friend who opened a fine clothing shop at the new mall in Rogers and she sells the vast majority of her items at less than half. She said Coach does the same thing there. It's the Abercrombies, Ann Taylor, etc price ranges that'll thrive here I think. Just my opinion.

Well, I certainly wouldn't put Bentonville in the list of 'larger' cities...there are a lot of people there with money per capita, but I would wager there aren't as many as in Little Rock...no way. How many people live there...what, 30,000? Benton county has the highest per capita income in Arkansas, but that doesn't mean there are more. Impressive no doubt, but not the end all be all.

There are plenty of people to buy that...they're just not used to Parisians...or even worse, Belk. Dillard's is the go-to for most people...especially with shoes. Also, you can't discount the fact that Parisian/Pleasant Ridge hasn't made much of a splash simply b/c its not a major development - its just not on people's radar.

For example, I have yet to patronize Parisians. Its not close to my house and frankly I have plenty of options at Park Plaza/Mid-towne/Heights/Hillcrest. There is not enough "gravity" to pull me in, and I live in LR - much less the thousands who commute in to work and shop.

Regardless of your personal desire to stay in midtown, the original point is valid. There simply aren't that many folks in LR williing to pony up the $ for the items at Parisien. The market here simply doesn't support it and your comment that Dillard's is th "go-to" really confirms that. Many in LR actually think of Dillards as the higher end. Outside of Arkansas, it isn't.

Regardless of your personal desire to stay in midtown, the original point is valid. There simply aren't that many folks in LR williing to pony up the $ for the items at Parisien. The market here simply doesn't support it and your comment that Dillard's is th "go-to" really confirms that. Many in LR actually think of Dillards as the higher end. Outside of Arkansas, it isn't.

I think Parisien is a bad example to base opinions on about the spending capacity of people in Little Rock. I'm not arguing that you are wrong or can't argue that. But, to base the arguement on Pariesien's is shaky. 1) Before it opened, it was announced that it would become a Belks. I believe this tooks some wind out of the sails or Pleasant Ridge. 2) Stores take time to establish clients and reputation, particularly when they are new to the market. Pariesiens never had a chance. 3) The fact the Men didn't care for the store is no surprise. Little Rock is not a mecca of the metrosexual. Men's retail clothing habits are different than women. Men don't generally gravitate to department stores. The best thing for men about that Pariesiens was the couch and tvs.

I said it once, I'll say it again, there are PLENTY of people south of the river (what's that, 260,000 plus?) to support more than one department store. I was just using me as an example to make the point that Pleasant Ridge in general and Parisians in particular is NOT a compelling draw. Its a half-baked shopping center with a mid-level, smallish department store with little recognition outside of that part of town. I agree with Turboturtle that Parisian's is a bad litmus test, and I'll agree with you in general that Little Rock is not a mecca for high end development, but you can't tell me that we couldn't support another high-end department store. I am sensing that the Promenade would have the best chance to be that kind of development, but I still question its remoteness to be a regional draw with the kind of gravity it would take to support a high-end store - even above Dillard's.

I would give people in LR more credit than that. I know many people to go to Memphis, Dallas and Atlanta to shop b/c they want to shop at the higher end stores like Macy's and Norstrom's. They shop at Dillard's b/c that's all we have. As others have said, Parisians didn't have a chance b/c everyone knew it was eventually going to turn into Belks and the fact that Pleasant Ridge has turned out to be a disappointment doesn't help either. Parisians doesn't have the name to draw people to Pleasant Ridge like a Macy's would. Outside of the restaurants and Fresh Market, there really isn't a reason to go there.

If Macy's located to the Promenade, watch the people flock out there to shop. It's location will hurt it to some degree, but if all of the rumored stores come to the Promenade, it will get its share of shoppers.

Ok...first, let me say that I would love for Macy's to come to Little Rock.

However, I don't understand why people keep referring to Macy's as upscale.

I just wonder how many of you have actually been to Macy's. I've been to Macy's

in several cities, and to be honest, most Dillard's stores I've been in are more upscale.

Macy's, in most areas, look like a mix between Belk and Dillard's.

The prices there are actually lower than Dillard's. I just don't understand

where all of this upscale talk comes from about Macy's.

I would give people in LR more credit than that. I know many people to go to Memphis, Dallas and Atlanta to shop b/c they want to shop at the higher end stores like Macy's and Norstrom's. They shop at Dillard's b/c that's all we have. As others have said, Parisians didn't have a chance b/c everyone knew it was eventually going to turn into Belks and the fact that Pleasant Ridge has turned out to be a disappointment doesn't help either. Parisians doesn't have the name to draw people to Pleasant Ridge like a Macy's would. Outside of the restaurants and Fresh Market, there really isn't a reason to go there.

If Macy's located to the Promenade, watch the people flock out there to shop. It's location will hurt it to some degree, but if all of the rumored stores come to the Promenade, it will get its share of shoppers.

I know folks who travel to Memphis as well. I'm sure we all do. It doesn't change the relative level of sophistication within this market. And I sincerely doubt that people didn't go to Parisien's because they knew it would become Belk. Most didn't know that. I'm well aware of this fact because everytime I mentioned it to someone, it was a surprise. It's OK...it doesn't mean that LR isn't filled with great people, it's just that the vast majority do not buy $150 jeans and shoes for $200.

I'm sure Promenade will be fine regardless of location.

First off, the mention that Parisian was doomed from the start is spot on. Anyone closely following central Arkansas retail and department stores in particular knew that when Parisian opened in November, it would likely only be around for nine full months. Customer loyalty, despite the quality of goods and service, was never to materialize. Add to that the fact that it would merge into Belk, which to this point has operated significantly smaller stores in smaller markets around Arkansas, and it was effectively salt in a wound. My unrealistic dream would have been for Parisian to morph into Nordstrom, a store which I think much more closely resembles the aesthetic that Parisian tried to cultivate. Of course, Little Rock is not right yet for a Nordstrom location, potentially for more factors than the city/market's size. (Nordstrom is still elusive in a place like Memphis, for example, despite its well-known reputation as a major distribution hub and rank as one of the nation's 20 largest cities.)

Parisian

First off, the mention that Parisian was doomed from the start is spot on. Anyone closely following central Arkansas retail and department stores in particular knew that when Parisian opened in November, it would likely only be around for nine full months. Customer loyalty, despite the quality of goods and service, was never to materialize. Add to that the fact that it would merge into Belk, which to this point has operated significantly smaller stores in smaller markets around Arkansas, and it was effectively salt in a wound. My unrealistic dream would have been for Parisian to morph into Nordstrom, a store which I think much more closely resembles the aesthetic that Parisian tried to cultivate. Of course, Little Rock is not right yet for a Nordstrom location, potentially for more factors than the city/market's size. (Nordstrom is still elusive in a place like Memphis, for example, despite its well-known reputation as a major distribution hub and rank as one of the nation's 20 largest cities.)

Parisian

Ok...first, let me say that I would love for Macy's to come to Little Rock.

However, I don't understand why people keep referring to Macy's as upscale.

I just wonder how many of you have actually been to Macy's. I've been to Macy's

in several cities, and to be honest, most Dillard's stores I've been in are more upscale.

Macy's, in most areas, look like a mix between Belk and Dillard's.

The prices there are actually lower than Dillard's. I just don't understand

where all of this upscale talk comes from about Macy's.

You are exactly right. I like Macy's but it's certainly not any nicer than Dillard's, probably a bit less pricy. Nordstrom's on the other hand is a step up. I would shop at Macy's the most of the three, honestly, if there was one here.

A couple of people said they didn't expect Parisian to work. Why? It worked fine in other similar-sized markets. The biggest problem was that from the start it was in flux, the conversion to a lower tier of products started almost immediately. Because of that it never has felt right, it just never really felt that upscale to me. For a while there was a rack of purses ranging from $250-500 a few feet from a whole section of crappy inexpensive luggage you could find at Stein-Mart. It will make more sense when it eventually becomes a Belk's.

You don't find Belk's usually in traditional large malls and this isn't a traditional large mall. All in all it's a pretty good fit for that shopping center.

You are exactly right. I like Macy's but it's certainly not any nicer than Dillard's, probably a bit less pricy. Nordstrom's on the other hand is a step up. I would shop at Macy's the most of the three, honestly, if there was one here.

A couple of people said they didn't expect Parisian to work. Why? It worked fine in other similar-sized markets. The biggest problem was that from the start it was in flux, the conversion to a lower tier of products started almost immediately. Because of that it never has felt right, it just never really felt that upscale to me. For a while there was a rack of purses ranging from $250-500 a few feet from a whole section of crappy inexpensive luggage you could find at Stein-Mart. It will make more sense when it eventually becomes a Belk's.

You don't find Belk's usually in traditional large malls and this isn't a traditional large mall. All in all it's a pretty good fit for that shopping center.

I think it has more to do with the location/development than the store itself. Again, the whole deal is just a non-starter...not big enough, no one knows its there, below-average balance of tenants, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived