Pleasant Ridge Town Center

mcheiss

Hey, I hopey your right about the continued negotiations with the named tenants, but what have you heard that would indicate such? I thought the site plan was quite revealing, but apparently some have said that most of it was supposition.

Read the article in the ADG Business section this morning. I don't have any inside info.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the article in the ADG Business section this morning. I don't have any inside info.

Oh...guess I should've read the whole article. So it did say they were pursuing those tenants? All I saw was that they were still pursuing a seafood restaurant, a high-end mexican restaurant, and something else...

There's an article in the ADG today about Pleasant Ridge Towne Center.

Per Schickel's lease agreement with Saks, the store must operate as a Parisian for 15 years. So legally, he can force them to keep the Parisian name though once the brand is otherwise dead it may not make sense. Also, Belk's has offered to rebrand it as a "Class A" Belk's, similar to the flagship stores in Charlotte and Charleston.

Apparently he's still in talks with Apple, Anthropologie, Lucky, J. Crew, Lucy, Banana Republic and Papyrus.

I think it's a good sign these stores are coming to the market, the question is where they will locate.

If I had to pick one retailer that I'd like to see come to Little Rock it would be Apple. There has been much speculation, and I'd be surprised if they didn't find their way here in the relatively near future, but for now it doesn't - unfortunately - seem imminent according to information compiled here:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0611retailwrapup.html

Could that high end Mexican restaurant be Cantina Laredo?

I think the best chances are Cantina Laredo, Mi Cocina, and Abuelo's. The first two are Dallas-based. Abuelo's is supposed to be going to Shackleford Crossing. Cantina Laredo was initially rumored for Midtowne and it would be my guess. I really like their food, it's significantly better than any chain Mexican I've had. The family that owns Cantina Laredo is the same family that started El Chico in Dallas in the 1930s.

I think the best chances are Cantina Laredo, Mi Cocina, and Abuelo's. The first two are Dallas-based. Abuelo's is supposed to be going to Shackleford Crossing. Cantina Laredo was initially rumored for Midtowne and it would be my guess. I really like their food, it's significantly better than any chain Mexican I've had. The family that owns Cantina Laredo is the same family that started El Chico in Dallas in the 1930s.

I hope you guys get Abuelo's, it's worth it. I like how the restaurant is situated around a small Mexican square. There's also some nice paintings all over the walls of native villagers. It's theme isn't as good as Casa Bonita, but it certainly beats El Chico or On the Border.

Everytime I think about Casa Bonita now, all I can think of is the South Park where Cartman wants to go to Casa Bonita so bad, he hides Butters in a bomb shelter for 2 weeks so everyone thinks he is missing.

That was a funny one.

:rofl::rofl:

...and at the end of the episode he get's arrested and the cop asks him if it was worth it, he says "totally".

I hope you guys get Abuelo's, it's worth it. I like how the restaurant is situated around a small Mexican square. There's also some nice paintings all over the walls of native villagers. It's theme isn't as good as Casa Bonita, but it certainly beats El Chico or On the Border.

As far as decor and layout, I like Cozymel's in LR better than any of those.

I, too, miss Casa Bonita. The food was awful but now that I have a kid I know he'd love it.

As far as decor and layout, I like Cozymel's in LR better than any of those.

I, too, miss Casa Bonita. The food was awful but now that I have a kid I know he'd love it.

I actually liked the food since it was one of my favorites as a child - so it was familiar. I would agree however that it was nowhere near the top in quality.

My kids loved it to. They both started bawling out loud when we drove down there and found the doors chained shut. I shed a tear or two as well...worked there when I was 16.

I actually liked the food since it was one of my favorites as a child - so it was familiar. I would agree however that it was nowhere near the top in quality.

My kids loved it to. They both started bawling out loud when we drove down there and found the doors chained shut. I shed a tear or two as well...worked there when I was 16.

Another place that I grew up with and love, Browning's, is the same way. If you didn't grow up eating it you won't like it.

It's as much for the 80-year olds waiting the tables in semi-Mexican garb and 60 years of printed Razorback schedules as anything.

Actually, though, living in Dallas now I have to say that kind of Tex-Mex is typical of the better neighborhood restaurants down here. It's just in Arkansas everyone's used to places like La Hacienda, Casa Manana, Senor Tequila, and El Porton with a wholly different slant.

• 3 weeks later...

That's good news. LR needs better seafood variety and it looks like a couple of new options will help with that.

Interesting aside - there's not a Bonefish yet in Texas. I was surprised to learn that.

Every opportunity I've been, I have enjoyed Bonefish. The one in Rogers gets fresh fish from the gulf everyday.

Every opportunity I've been, I have enjoyed Bonefish. The one in Rogers gets fresh fish from the gulf everyday.

Good, I hope the quality in LR will be similar.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't opt for the Promenade at Chenal. Maybe they just didn't want to wait that long to enter the market.

• 2 weeks later...

I got back from a conference in Orlando and happened to pass by a Fresh Market in Dr Phillips, which is a posh Orlando burb. It was smaller than the one in LR will be but it had a very nice offering of fresh produce, cheeses and meats, as well as a bakery. There were a variety of fresh meals to go and prepared sandwiches. They had a healthy wine section, which obviously we won't have. Prices were rather high, Whole Foods level - quite a bit higher than Kroger. Overall, while I couldn't see myself shopping there regularly I could see us going every few weeks.

Like a lot of other stores, I think they would really benefit from modifying the Arkansas laws restricting sales of wine by grocers. I'd love to see that changed.

I got back from a conference in Orlando and happened to pass by a Fresh Market in Dr Phillips, which is a posh Orlando burb. It was smaller than the one in LR will be but it had a very nice offering of fresh produce, cheeses and meats, as well as a bakery. There were a variety of fresh meals to go and prepared sandwiches. They had a healthy wine section, which obviously we won't have. Prices were rather high, Whole Foods level - quite a bit higher than Kroger. Overall, while I couldn't see myself shopping there regularly I could see us going every few weeks.

Like a lot of other stores, I think they would really benefit from modifying the Arkansas laws restricting sales of wine by grocers. I'd love to see that changed.

Amen to that. It's hard finding any good wines around in NWA unless you go up north to Macadoodles. I guess it's harder for you guys down in LR.

Amen to that. It's hard finding any good wines around in NWA unless you go up north to Macadoodles. I guess it's harder for you guys down in LR.

I'm really curious what "good wines" you can't find in Arkansas. Have you tried Liquor World in Fayetteville? I was in the fine wine business in Little Rock and having a good idea of what is and isn't available in the state the idea that " It's hard finding any good wines..." just doesn't reflect my experience. Granted that you won't find Screaming Eagle Cab or any of Helen Turley's wines but generally these are only available through direct purchase from the winery.

If anything it's probably easier because there are a number of high-end liquor stores in West LR that bill themselves primarily as wine stores. Colonial Wine and Spirits (several), Cork and Bottle, Grapevine Wine and Spirits, Heights Fine Wine and Spirits, Rock Creek Wine and Spirits. Toddy Shop Fine Wine and Spirits, Westside Wine and Spirits, etc all are predominantly wine stores. Anywhere in LR, you shouldn't be further than a half mile from a liquor store with a very good selection of wines. The largest liquor stores with good prices and a big selection like Macadoodles are in Morgan near the county line - Lake Liquor is the size of a small Harp's.

The problem, though, is that you could get these 20% cheaper at Target (or WM if they sold it), Sam's, Kroger, Harvest Foods or stores like World Market (when LR gets one). If you can buy beer at Kroger (and a sizable variety of imports and domestic), why not wine? The current law allows you to buy Arkansas wines like Post Familie and Wiederkehr and while we like these on occasion, it's unfair not to sell the others. I've bought some native wines at Sam's in LR before and while they're cheap, again it would be nice to get a variety there.

I mail-order wines in Texas and there are some wine clubs you can join and get California wines shipped to you at very low prices. Unfortunately that's illegal in Arkansas as well.

I mail-order wines in Texas and there are some wine clubs you can join and get California wines shipped to you at very low prices. Unfortunately that's illegal in Arkansas as well.

Shipping wine into Arkansas may be illegal but I've never heard of anyone being cited for doing so. When I had my store customers told me on many occasions about the wine they'd received from out of state. I also believe a good deal of wine is flown in on corporate jets.

In the future I think wine will be available in grocery stores. The recent Federal Court rulings concerning interstate wine shipment will force the Legislature to either repeal the domestic wine in grocery stores law or make it legal to ship wines into the state. With Sam's Club's recent sucess in opening a liquor store adjacent to their store in Fayetteville it seems reasonable that the law will be changed.

As for price, if you compare Arkansas prices vs mail order from California for premium products you won't see much differnce if you take the shipping costs into account. The last time I was in Napa I checked prices in several stores, both package and grocery and found them comparable to Arkansas. You're right that Sams, Cosco, Wal-mart etc will have lower prices than package stores. Of course you'll have to go to those stores and fight the crowds, parking and impersonal employees to get the lower price. Having observed liquor stores in Houston and having seen the wine selection in Texas grocery stores I know that first-class wine shops will survive even with increased competition.

Shipping wine into Arkansas may be illegal but I've never heard of anyone being cited for doing so. When I had my store customers told me on many occasions about the wine they'd received from out of state. I also believe a good deal of wine is flown in on corporate jets.

In the future I think wine will be available in grocery stores. The recent Federal Court rulings concerning interstate wine shipment will force the Legislature to either repeal the domestic wine in grocery stores law or make it legal to ship wines into the state. With Sam's Club's recent sucess in opening a liquor store adjacent to their store in Fayetteville it seems reasonable that the law will be changed.

As for price, if you compare Arkansas prices vs mail order from California for premium products you won't see much differnce if you take the shipping costs into account. The last time I was in Napa I checked prices in several stores, both package and grocery and found them comparable to Arkansas. You're right that Sams, Cosco, Wal-mart etc will have lower prices than package stores. Of course you'll have to go to those stores and fight the crowds, parking and impersonal employees to get the lower price. Having observed liquor stores in Houston and having seen the wine selection in Texas grocery stores I know that first-class wine shops will survive even with increased competition.

The problem is the companies won't ship it to Arkansas. There are several states that don't allow mail-order wine sales and the companies are well aware of which ones they are.

I agree with what you are saying, the main reason I would like to pick up wines at grocery stores is just a matter of convenience. I'm going to buy food anyway and it saves me a special trip to a liquor store, which I only rarely need to visit.

The problem is the companies won't ship it to Arkansas. There are several states that don't allow mail-order wine sales and the companies are well aware of which ones they are.

I agree with what you are saying, the main reason I would like to pick up wines at grocery stores is just a matter of convenience. I'm going to buy food anyway and it saves me a special trip to a liquor store, which I only rarely need to visit.

It can be done in Arkansas, believe me. :D I forget which website it was, but a few years ago I ordered some stuff from Napa valley and it was shipped right to my house.

Archived