Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

The first weekend of the statewide smoking ban went smoothly for area restuarants, but I have a feeling it's going to affect many new restaurants and especially sports bars coming to the area. The restaurants that have done the best business (or at least were willing to comment) over the weekend have outdoor patios where people flocked to even with temperatures in the 100's.

Read about it here... Weekend of smoking ban goes by smoothly - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Actually, this weekend was beautiful, highs in the 80s statewide, not much wind, and mostly clear skies. One of the best I can remember in July actually.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I hadn't noticed. I haven't ordered pizza from them in quite a while. To be honest I wasn't the biggest fan of their pizza. It was okay but I would usually order from someone else. To be honest from my standpoint something like this would make me more interested in trying them out again.

It's not good but it is cheap. The latter won out when I was in college, the former is more important now. Maybe if I have 3 kids I'll change my mind again.

To settle a question we had, here is what is holding up the opening of Carrabba's; SCHEDULE. Apparently they set the open date, and that is in stone. I have been around for a number of restaurant openings, and this is a first that they're literaly ready to open within days if the pushed things forward, yet because they set a date they're sticking to it... I hope its worth the wait!

As of Friday, Carrabba was ready to open. They were looking for 15 staff persons but had enough to open. They are ready but August 7th is the official date. I spoke to the manager on Friday at Outback in Springdale.

To settle a question we had, here is what is holding up the opening of Carrabba's; SCHEDULE. Apparently they set the open date, and that is in stone. I have been around for a number of restaurant openings, and this is a first that they're literaly ready to open within days if the pushed things forward, yet because they set a date they're sticking to it... I hope its worth the wait!

Actually, this weekend was beautiful, highs in the 80s statewide, not much wind, and mostly clear skies. One of the best I can remember in July actually.

Well we all know that 80's can feel like 100's when you add the heat index and Friday was higher thatn the 80's.

Well we all know that 80's can feel like 100's when you add the heat index and Friday was higher thatn the 80's.

Yea, Friday was like 100+. This weekend though was very low humidity and low temp, the heat index on Sat and Sun were never above 90.

Regardless, this was about the nicest weekend we ever see in July, so seeing a lot of people outdoors (especially after a week of 100+ temps with 105+ heat indices every day) is a given. I ate outside at Jose's Saturday afternoon (7ish) and it was completely packed, as was most of the rest of Dickson. On Thursday at the same time it was still nearly 100 outside. I don't think I saw ANYONE smoking out there.

Yea, Friday was like 100+. This weekend though was very low humidity and low temp, the heat index on Sat and Sun were never above 90.

Regardless, this was about the nicest weekend we ever see in July, so seeing a lot of people outdoors (especially after a week of 100+ temps with 105+ heat indices every day) is a given. I ate outside at Jose's Saturday afternoon (7ish) and it was completely packed, as was most of the rest of Dickson. On Thursday at the same time it was still nearly 100 outside. I don't think I saw ANYONE smoking out there.

I'm glad that I wasn't here for the 100+ temps, but then again, I was in Vegas. :lol:

Since I've been working 3rd shift I sleep during the hottest part of the day and I'm spoiled to A/C. This weekend when I got off work in the morning it was actually chilly in my car, so yeah this weekend was quite nice. I don't think the smoking ban is going to affect most places, other than greasy spoons like Waffle Hut/House? that's very business depended on allowing smoking. If people can't wait an hour and a half to smoke then they should just order out.

I don't think the smoking ban will have a big impact up there either. To be honest I never could tell any big differences the past year and a half here in Fayetteville.

No but there are quite a few law suits still pending in Fayetteville over the city's smoking ban. The city is trying not to let the community decide what's best for the community and that's the biggest complaint.

No but there are quite a few law suits still pending in Fayetteville over the city's smoking ban. The city is trying not to let the community decide what's best for the community and that's the biggest complaint.

I wonder if the lawsuits are even worthwhile anymore with the statewide smoking ban. If so I am sure they have lost most of their grounds since they are all going to be smoke free no matter how much they sue the pants of Fayetteville.

I wonder if the lawsuits are even worthwhile anymore with the statewide smoking ban. If so I am sure they have lost most of their grounds since they are all going to be smoke free no matter how much they sue the pants of Fayetteville.

I don't know, I think that's why they're still pending to wait for the state to look at the suits for validity. But then I'm no lawyer. Most of the suits are bars and such that wanted the city to change the rule about how much food they could serve, but like you said it's a mute point with the statewide smoking ban. As of this past weekend any bar, whether serving food or not, must be smoke free UNLESS it's restricted to 21 and over... which I'm assuming most bars are.

In other news looks like Fayetteville has lost one restaurant/bar. Or at least it will be closed for quite a while. Maxine's Taproom had a fire and explosion early this morning. Apparently a fire started near the oven the heat from the fire caused one of the CO2 tanks used for the beer on tap exploded. It's been quite a bad news for the place. Maxine died a few months ago also.

Not sure about other positions but with wait staff they were over booked but expect some to quit when or before training begins. I was just in there Monday speaking with 4 of the managers. BTW- do you remember who it was you spoke with? Was it the guy from Boston?

It was not the guy from Boston. From the info I heard the guy from Boston is not here for the long haul, just to get things up and running. I spoke to a guy from Memphis. He will be running things from what I understood.

Not sure about other positions but with wait staff they were over booked but expect some to quit when or before training begins. I was just in there Monday speaking with 4 of the managers. BTW- do you remember who it was you spoke with? Was it the guy from Boston?

I don't know if anyone knows yet, but Bella Vista recently opened up a seafood restaurant. It's called Shrimpman's Yacht at the Loch Lomond Marina. It moved from Pineville about a week ago. I haven't been, but it's good to hear about a Seafood Restaurant in Benton County.

Looks like Carraba's is only a few days away from opening, which is next Monday.

Also, I didn't know if this has been mentioned, but Papa Murphy's Take N' Bake Pizza is buiding a location on 6th Street.

This makes the Third one in the Metro, with One in Bentonville, and one in Springdale on Old Missouri Rd.

Not sure if anyone will be very excited to hear this but apparently Captain D's is going to make a move into NWA. Sounds like the franchise is currently opening up one in Van Buren than they'll proceed to opening 3-5 here in NWA soon. I haven't seen any news on any locations yet.

Here's some interesting news. Looks like the Acropolis opened another location up in Bentonville. The other being in Fayetteville. The restaurant offers a mixture of Mediterranean, Greek and American food. I remember when they only had the location at the NWA Mall. years ago.

Not sure if anyone will be very excited to hear this but apparently Captain D's is going to make a move into NWA. Sounds like the franchise is currently opening up one in Van Buren than they'll proceed to opening 3-5 here in NWA soon. I haven't seen any news on any locations yet.

I knew they would make there way here. Springdale and Lowell would be good choices, along with Rogers and Bentonville, no offense to Fayetteville, but it already has plenty of seafood restaurants. :lol:

Nice to hear that Acropolis is coming to Bentonville, I'll have to check them out.

Isn't Captain D's full service seafood more akin to Red Lobster than Long John Silvers? I don't think I've ever been to a Captain D's.

Isn't Captain D's full service seafood more akin to Red Lobster than Long John Silvers? I don't think I've ever been to a Captain D's.

I've only been to Captain D's a couple of times in my life. Both were a very long time ago in Memphis. To be honest I was recalling something more similar to Long John Silvers. But I did seem to think it was better than LJS.

Oh, it's definitely more like LJS. Trust, me, it's my grandma's favorite restaurant, and she won't spend over five bucks to eat. I'm excited about getting one; maybe now she'll come and visit me. :rofl:

Archived