NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I drove up there last night just to check out the neighborhood as I hadn't been in close to a year.  It is really looking great.  Couple of observations.

• Salud really helped that building and energize north of 36th.  Hopefully the new Woodfield project will make the streetscape interesting/activated up to Mercury/tracks.
  • NoDa Brewing really helped the vibe south of 30th.  Hopefully some more of the warehouses on the west side of Davidson will convert.  I would be really cool to have micro-brewery row there.  Is there still a LRT station planned for 27th??
  • Not that the neighborhood probably likes big boring apartments blocks, but I can't believe that the large site between Jordan and 30th at Davidson isn't a prime apartment site. 
  • The neighborhood should really lobby the city to do a corridor plan for Davidson from 12th to Sugar Creek and commit to getting curb and gutter and sidewalks along the whole route, but also getting cohesive streetscaping (benches, lightpoles, etc) would really help and in my opinion help brand a larger area as NoDa which would bring more development to fill in between NoDa and downtown.
  • At night, didn't even notice work going on at the mills under renovation, but once they are done and lit up by residents, it will make "downtown" NoDa pop.
  • That new Gateway project just south of Rennaisance is huge for an infill lot.  Hopefully it will be aeasthetically pleasing and better streetscape that The Colony, but we'll see.  Lots of small opportunities along Davidson to put in 4-8 unit buildings. 
  • It would be nice is the YMCA would build decked parking along the the back of their property and sell the front portion of their massive lot to a developer to build more midrise.  I don't think land values would make that profitable yet, but maybe one day. 

I was really excited by what I saw last time.  I think the murals, and neighborhood center feel.  WIth LRT coming, I think the area is going to absolutely explode as there really isn't any other place in Charlotte that has that type of vibe.  Plaza Central and Camden maybe could, but the commitment of the neighborhood residents to making their hood special is really heads-and-shoulders above anything else in the city.

Inspired by atlrvr I drove through the half-neighborhood on Bernard and Fitch streets on my way to lunch today. (the cluster of houses on the Northeast corner of Tryon and 36th). I was _amazed_ by how much gentrification has occured back there. The number of teardowns and rebuilds rivals McDonald ave in Dilworth. I had assumed this area would be slow to change due to its proximity to Tryon but, gezzz, I was really wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
The façade plans for that project next to Tasty Yo looks absolutely terrible. Lots of materials, but virtually no windows from what I can tell. That is awful.

Apparently this thing is a restaurant. I am not going to comment on these elevations (which have been updated since original comments)

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2012_Petitions/Pages/2012-103.aspx

Apparently this thing is a restaurant. I am not going to comment on these elevations (which have been updated since original comments)

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2012_Petitions/Pages/2012-103.aspx

Someone related to the project chimed in (I think its on the previous page) to mention that they were just placeholder and they were working with the neighborhood closely, etc. So I'm a little disappointed to see an updated site plan that is changed only a little, making it seem like its NOT really just placeholder and pretty uninspired. However there being no windows on the side there is understandable since it will really just be an alley.

Edited by nonillogical

It is fleshing out to be a little better, albeit still slightly uninteresting.  If it will be a restaurant, it is ashame they aren't using floor to ceiling windows that open like some other street-fronting restaurants have in Hearst and elsewhere in NoDa.  That is a good alternative where al fresco dining is not possible.    

Here's hoping the materials are decent, too, as there is no mention of that. 

I am of course fine with no windows on the side elevation in a tight alley, but the front facade needs some love.

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to comment on it.  It looks like 3rd year architecture school project, and the "updated" elevations are just a colored perspective of the same elevation.  But I guess it's their property and they can design in whatever post-modern art-decco mish mash style they want.  From the neighborhoods perspective, I would hope that they would agree with Dubones comment and at least demand more storefront and transparency on North Davidson street.

Miyagi's has had its soft-opening, located in the small 1-story building next to Revolution on Davidson. I was expecting just an average sushi joint, nothing exciting but welcome for a neighborhood that clearly needed an asian option, but to my surprise this place specializes in Korean barbecue! I am beyond psyched about that. I haven't been yet, and hear that their full menu is not all available yet, but I imagine I'll be a regular customer once it is. I always thought our lack of Korean (and all but a couple varieties of authentic Chinese) options in Charlotte was bordering on shameful. 

http://miyagisnoda.com/

Miyagi's has had its soft-opening, located in the small 1-story building next to Revolution on Davidson. I was expecting just an average sushi joint, nothing exciting but welcome for a neighborhood that clearly needed an asian option, but to my surprise this place specializes in Korean barbecue! I am beyond psyched about that. I haven't been yet, and hear that their full menu is not all available yet, but I imagine I'll be a regular customer once it is. I always thought our lack of Korean (and all but a couple varieties of authentic Chinese) options in Charlotte was bordering on shameful. 

http://miyagisnoda.com/

I've already eaten here. They may call it Korean BBQ, but it is nothing like real Korean BBQ.

I was really excited that this place was moving into NoDa, but I left thoroughly disappointed. I had the beef bulgolgi. I thought it was relatively bland and fairly expensive, especially for the small quantity of food. Nothing at all like the authentic Korean restaurants I went to in the DC area when I lived there. 

I'm not trying to discourage you from going, just sharing my experience.

I've already eaten here. They may call it Korean BBQ, but it is nothing like real Korean BBQ.

I was really excited that this place was moving into NoDa, but I left thoroughly disappointed. I had the beef bulgolgi. I thought it was relatively bland and fairly expensive, especially for the small quantity of food. Nothing at all like the authentic Korean restaurants I went to in the DC area when I lived there. 

I'm not trying to discourage you from going, just sharing my experience.

That's a shame, but I still intend to give it a shot, and would probably give it another after their full menu releases even if I'm not blown away.

I used to enjoy Kyoto off of Albemarle rd until it closed very suddenly. Am I correct in thinking there's only 1 real Korean restaurant in the area, in Matthews? I know there's a takeout place in the International Grocer on Independence but I'm not counting it as a full fledged restaurant. 

That's a shame, but I still intend to give it a shot, and would probably give it another after their full menu releases even if I'm not blown away.

I used to enjoy Kyoto off of Albemarle rd until it closed very suddenly. Am I correct in thinking there's only 1 real Korean restaurant in the area, in Matthews? I know there's a takeout place in the International Grocer on Independence but I'm not counting it as a full fledged restaurant. 

There are two in Matthews. Chowan Garden and some other one in Windsor Square.

I've never eaten at either, but I did have a Korean person tell me that Chowan Garden is very good.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to comment on it.  It looks like 3rd year architecture school project, and the "updated" elevations are just a colored perspective of the same elevation.  But I guess it's their property and they can design in whatever post-modern art-decco mish mash style they want.  From the neighborhoods perspective, I would hope that they would agree with Dubones comment and at least demand more storefront and transparency on North Davidson street.

If you read the CMP Staff Analysis comment section, it says that the pedestrian facade will be covered in artwork to be determined by the NoDa community.  I think they mentioned mosaics.

Anyone know if a decision has been made on the specific location of the re-routed ACWR tracks through the warehouses? (the area between Craighead and Sugar Creek)

Any timeline on the closing of Craighead?

I've seen a map of the new routing for ACWR but can't place where, maybe on some CRISP powerpoint of all the train projects.    I do suspect, though, that while the neighborhood will be glad to have a greenway instead through the single family homes section, it will eventually regret this, as the warehouse district is probably where we will end up with denser redevelopment, which will then be more impacted.

(^^)  I've seen the mapping of the proposed re-routing through the warehouses. It's pretty arbitrary because there is no funding for it - so planning could just slap the thing down over 6-10 buildings and not have to ask the question "how much will we have to pay the property owners." I'd imagine once the project is funded, they'd have to figure out how to get it done with property owners as inexpensively as possible.

Conversations I've had with officials/planners say the project is 10+ years away anyway - unless someone take it up as a cause (cough cough).

(^^)  I've seen the mapping of the proposed re-routing through the warehouses. It's pretty arbitrary because there is no funding for it

wow, I really thought that it was part of the BLE / Sugar Creek grade seperation project. I also thought it had to happen for the yards at NoDa project to get built.

EDIT: Thanks dubone, I think I found the CRISP slideshow you mentioned here: http://www.bytrain.org/quicklinks/reports/CRISP_MLGS_4thWard_27Sept2010.pdf 

slide 28 shows the ACWR realignment with some detail. The Escapists is right, the sketch really does show the new line bisecting the warehouse district, since the tracks are in a trench they are really going to disrupt what could have been a great pedestrian district.

Edited by kermit

The BLE does NOT require that the ACWR relocate, but the design accomodates the long term plans, such as by shifting to west of the freight tracks at Craighead to allow for the eastward turn of the ACWR north of there.   But it will still have a bridge over the current ACWR tracks just east of Matheson, which doubles as the bridge for driveway access for Duke Power and N-S.  

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012-05-15%20T-PNP-BLE-DSN-A.pdf

EDIT:

I found the routing shown on slide 28 here.   According to an early slide, it is project 16 of CRISP with the responsibility being NCDOT, which makes me question how imminent it is. 

http://www.bytrain.org/quicklinks/reports/CRISP_MLGS_4thWard_27Sept2010.pdf

• 1 month later...

I find it comical that the developer commented on the reason for liking the site is that it will be adjacent to the 36th Street BLE stop. Yet, it's a 10 acre site with 4 story buildings and SURFACE parking lots. SMH.

^^ Yeah and how the most notable example of designing the project to blend in with the NoDa neighborhood mentioned is "The Yards will feature large graffiti on its walls".  I'm pretty sure the current populous from the surrounding areas would take care of that gratis.

I wonder if this project would have taken on a different design if the BLE was already complete or under construction in the area since Yards will be completed and move-in ready a good 2-3 years prior to LTR service though the hood.

I can't say I'm surprised about the surface lots. 

1. It's Charlotte which is far from a mass transit reliable city and people need cars
  2. It's an apartment/condo complex
  3. It's not in the densest area
  4. It abuts the tracks (which is hopefully where the parking lots will be/face.