Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

State Sen. Verne Smith resigns: http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NEWS03/60705004

While sad and unfortunate that he has had to leave his post for declining health, it can also be said he was the last major player that Greenville County had in Columbia in the legistlature.

In a state where legislative power matters much more than small time offices, like Governor -_- , Greenville County now has no major players at the table at the State House. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up for that role.

Sen. Smith played a huge, huge role in the development of the eastern half of Greenville County with BMW, the development of Greer and the new hospital campus there.

Thanks Sen. Smith for your service!

Can someone tell me exactly what building is at these coordinates?

34.849042, -82.399758

I don't know exactly what building this is, but maybe someone else can tell. Its right at the crosshairs. To me it looks like the Poinsett Hotel or the towers next door. This is from topozone.com

Topozone.png

...most of this sort of stuff could have been carried out offline or via Private Messages and I certainly hope people entertaining the idea of becoming active participants in U.P. don't get turned off by this unnecessary aside.

You are exactly right. This is the end of that discussion. If anyone has any further issues on the matter then you are welcome to send me a PM.

This is off-topic so I guess it should fit here.

I am very interested in city planning (hence my reading UrbanPlanet every day!) and am looking into Clemson's master's of city and regional planning: http://www.clemson.edu/caah/pla/planning/index.htm. Does anyone on this site have any info about this program? I'd love to email you some questions about it if you don't mind.

Thanks!

I am very interested in city planning (hence my reading UrbanPlanet every day!) and am looking into Clemson's master's of city and regional planning: http://www.clemson.edu/caah/pla/planning/index.htm. Does anyone on this site have any info about this program? I'd love to email you some questions about it if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Once you've reached 10 posts, you will be able to send and receive Private Messages (PM). Until then, I think there are a few individuals on here who may be able to help a little. Spartan is a graduate student at Clemson University, and I believe is in a similar field of study as the one you have inquired about. Others also attend school there in architecture or design-related fields, so they may be able to help as well. I personally have little to no knowledge of these fields at Clemson, but I am sure that they are top quality, if the rest of the school is any indication. Good luck and thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

journey,

I received my MCRP from Clemson back in '99. (ok, I actually left early and didn't finish my thesis until a few years ago). I thoroughly enjoyed the program and the emphasis on internships and assistantships. During my two years in the program I had a public service assistantship with a small town, a medium sized county and an internship with a downtown development partnership. All led me to my career and present position (which I thoroughly enjoy). Professors were pretty strong when I was there, though they may have changed nominally since then. Drs. London and Farris helped me immensely and should be willing to talk to you about the program (along with Dr. Nocks). Also made some pretty great friends while in the program.

Thanks!

Its a great program! I am currently involved with this program. Dr. Farris is not as involved with City Planning as he used to be, as he is now heading up the new MRED program, but he is still around some. Dr. London is now head of the MCRP program now. All of the faculty there are very supportive, and any of them would be glad to talk to you about it. I'd be glad to tell you more about it if you want. I just need an email address. You can also send it to me via the "Send an Email" function by clicking here.

One comment about Clemson's planning program.

Their curriculum is very much based in theory and uses a heavy emphasis on internships to teach real-world experience. As intern experiences can run the gamut from really great to really bad... and that is largely out of Clemson's control... the planning graduates I've worked with have mixed sentiments about their program.

Overall, it's a good program... but getting a good real-world experience through their program is sometimes hit-or-miss.

The program is what you want to make of it. Its more applied than you might expect, and that surprises some people. You will definately get out of it what you put into it, and the faculty will work with you to fit it to what you want to do. Different students have different opinons on the details of how it works, but I think if you know planning is what you want to do then you will like it. Like I said, lifeisajourney, contact me and I will be glad to talk in more depth about it.

To: Neighborhood Association Representatives,

Owners of property located within 150 feet of the following applications,

Registered email recipients

Subject: Upcoming Applications for the Design & Preservation Commission

Date: July 19, 2006

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, August 3, 2006, at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications.

CA 06-57 A request by the WestEnd Association to install granite quotes in certain sections of the sidewalks in the West End Preservation Overlay District.

CA 06-68 A request by Scott Johnston and the City of Greenville to install a monument honoring Sterling High School at the southwest corner of N. Main Street and W. Washington Street in the Central Business District.

CA 06-77 A request by Delbert Tangeman to construct a new garage at 301 W. Earle Street in the Col. Elias Earle Preservation Overlay District.

CA 06-80 A request to demolish an existing garage and construct a new garage with residential units at 712 E. Washington Street in the Pettigru Preservation Overlay District.

CA 06-86 A request for a residential addition and renovations at 22 Pinckney Street in the Hampton-Pinckney Preservation Overlay District.

CA 06-90 A request for a new streetscape and sidewalk on S. Laurens Street between W. McBee Avenue and W. Washington Street in the Central Business District.

CA 06-91 A request to construct a new 250,000 square foot building on the southwest corner of E. McBee Avenue and Spring Street in the Central Business District.

CA 06-94 A request for an addition and exterior renovations to an existing building at 814 S. Main Street in the West End Preservation Overlay District..

You may review documents relating to these applications before the public hearing. These documents are available in the Zoning Office on the 4th floor of City Hall, 206 South Main Street, Greenville, between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. You may speak for or against an application at the Public Hearing, where a total of five minutes will be allotted for all comments in support and a total of five minutes will be allotted for all comments in opposition. Additionally you may submit written comments prior to noon on the date of the meeting to Brennan Townsend, Development Planner, PO Box 2207, Greenville, SC 29602, or by fax at (864) 467-5715, or by email at [email protected]. Please reference the application number on all correspondence.

Well this is a tremendous resource which provides an outlet for buzz, which is one of the most important ingredients in a successfully growing community. We have Neo to thank for this opportunity. Hats off to his hard work and help. I hope this site continues to grow for many years to come. :shades: