Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

I just drove by that sign today, and didn't know what to think. :blink: Really makes no sense and doesn't help the image most Spartans would like to convey about their city. :rolleyes:

Edit: After reading the article, I see that Greenville has one too. How disgusting! :wacko: The one in Spartanburg is on I-26, right next to the Spartan 16 movie theatre and near Westgate Mall.

True, but it is a free country and there is this thing called the first amendment, so I don't have a problem with it. I find it funny. The one in Greenville is on I-385 heading towards downtown or uptown or whatever you want to call it near Haywood Road.

Edited by g-man430

I have friends living in that neighborhood who have been among those fighting these developments. What I think is funny is that people choose to live in an area, then tell others they can't live there because it would ruin it for themselves. I guess it comes down to "first-come, first-serve." :rolleyes:

I wasn't impressed with the search capabilities of Craig's List->Greenville, personally. I noticed they have absolutely nothing for this week in the calendar of events section. How lowsy is that?! There is at least one very cool event on every day of this week, that should have been mentioned there. :huh:

You should post it as a "rant" on craigslist :) seriously i *think* that it's largely user driven so as the community grows that should to but i'm no expert on craigslist i just read the best of because quite frankly they are usually quite funny (and probably NSFW so be warned if you go there from work)

A few days ago, I posted this interesting info in the Asheville forum. Apparently, Donald Trump is hoping to build a 64-unit luxury condo project in downtown Hendersonville, NC, which is 30-40 minutes north of Greenville. With so many recent additions to the celebrity visitor scene, and others moving into the area, I think it is rather interesting how this region is becoming a haven for famous retirees and wealthy businessmen.

Read more in the Hendersonville Living thread.

A few days ago, I posted this interesting info in the Asheville forum. Apparently, Donald Trump is hoping to build a 64-unit luxury condo project in downtown Hendersonville, NC, which is 30-40 minutes north of Greenville. With so many recent additions to the celebrity visitor scene, and others moving into the area, I think it is rather interesting how this region is becoming a haven for famous retirees and wealthy businessmen.

Read more in the Hendersonville Living thread.

We need to get Donald Trump interested in Greenville. Can't you just see a few Trump-inspired towers downtown? :shades:

More off ball Greenville trivia:

The only US President that ever had Greenville as his permanent residence was Andrew Johnson. He learned the tailoring trade in downtown Greenville and later returned to his hometown of Greeneville, TN, where started his political career.

As far as I know, President Grover Cleveland was the first sitting President to visit Greenville. Woodrow Wilson also passed through Greenville on a train in his efforts to promote the Treaty of Versailles.

Franklin Roosevelt passed through Greenville a lot on the Southern rail line from Washington to Warm Springs, GA. The passage of his funeral train in April of '45 through Greenville was a big local event.

South Carolina has not often attracted candidates in the modern era because the state has either been solidly Democratic or Republican. With the rise of the primary season, especially in the era that SC is solidly Republican, it's difficlut to get the GOP nomination without multiple trips to Greenville.

Richard Nixon had a parade down G'ville's Main St. in 1968 with Strom Thurmond, as part of his efforts to turn the South to the GOP.

Ronald Reagan celebrated his 68th birthday in 1980 at Vince Perone's restaurant off Antrim Drive. He made several campaign stops in '80 and '84.

George H.W. Bush made frequent stops as Vice President and as a candiate in '88 and '92.

George W. Bush's first visit to Greenville was for a family wedding on his mother's side, off of Augusta Road when he was about 4 years old. Before the '00 primary he was a frequent visitor, staying at the Hyatt or private homes, eating meals at places like Tommy's Country Ham House.

Greenville also successfully held a debate between the Democratic candidates in Feb. of '04.

Expect the GOP candidates to descend on the city after this fall's midterm elections, but none of the purported candiates have ever lived in the city, unlike Andrew Johnson did for a few years.

Very interesting history trivia....especially the one about Reagan's birthday at Vince Perone's. Never got to check this place out before it was torn down. Did they have any kind of marker or photo about Reagan celebrating his birthday there?

Very interesting history trivia....especially the one about Reagan's birthday at Vince Perone's. Never got to check this place out before it was torn down. Did they have any kind of marker or photo about Reagan celebrating his birthday there?

They had signed photographs of alot of people hanging on the walls there. I seem to recall Reagan being one of them.

They had signed photographs of alot of people hanging on the walls there. I seem to recall Reagan being one of them.

So in it's heyday, must have been a popular place. Wonder what happened to all the signed photos? Probably a lot of pop culture history was in that place.