Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

That's where i thought you were talking about, but to me, it seems a bit out of MB's league... Is the market there for a Trump tower or something of the sort? Greenville, I think, could give MB a run for its money if there were a competition. Like Mayor White said, 'Greenville is becoming a destination downtown' or something to that effect.

Late response here, but Trump would build a tower in Myrtle Beach before anywhere else in the state simply because Myrtle Beach is by far the most visited city in the state. It doesn't even get the "SC" designation many times in national publications. Trump builds these towers for visibility and ego purposes, and if he wants visibility, Myrtle Beach is the place. Greenville may be becoming a destination, but Myrtle Beach already is one, and has been for a long time now.

Late response here, but Trump would build a tower in Myrtle Beach before anywhere else in the state simply because Myrtle Beach is by far the most visited city in the state. It doesn't even get the "SC" designation many times in national publications. Trump builds these towers for visibility and ego purposes, and if he wants visibility, Myrtle Beach is the place. Greenville may be becoming a destination, but Myrtle Beach already is one, and has been for a long time now.

It'd be interesting to see it happen in MB. I highly doubt people with that kind of money would go to Myrtle. But who knows... they might enjoy grabbing dinner at up Dixie Stampede! :lol:

Was just saying that because Hilton Head does seem to me to be more of his cup of tea than anywhere else in South Carolina. Granted, most of his development projects involve towers in some fashion, but as for other types of projects: golf courses (Trump International Golf Links, etc.), Private Resort Clubs (Trump Island Villas in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Mar-A-Lago, etc.).

I guess i'll just post this here, unless somebody can find a thread for it. Parks tax gets a push. More info: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../608300405/1004

Take your pick:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11017

OR

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16255

What is with the media and this tropical storm crap. They think it's the worse thing in the world and everybody is going to die from it or something. Their like "omg, a tropical storm is coming, it's going to rain 2 inches here, what are we going to do and how will we ever survive." Give me a break. Man, the media is stupid. A hurricane I could see them covering, but anything less is just ridiculous and on top of that, now were naming our storms off of immigrants from Mexico. What's up with that. Can we use American names please seeing how we are in America. Rant over. :angry:

Edited by carolinadude9409

It is a big deal in coastal cities like Charleston for several reasons:

1. Hugo was bad. Anytime "hurricane" or even "tropical storm" is mentioned here, people think about Hugo and how bad it was.

2. Katrina happened a year ago. That was kind of a big deal (sarcasm).

3. Charleston has flooding issues to begin with. It only takes a few hours of rain for many streets (even major ones) to be flooded. Just last week, two of my classmates who drive sedans had their cars flooded as a result of a downpour that lasted most of the morning.

Several important streets through MUSC's campus (Courtenay Drive and Ashley Avenue in particular, but also Jonathan Lucas Street) easily flood. It is not uncommon to see people crossing the road, barefoot, with their pants rolled up to their knees. Why? Because the water is that deep in places. This is after normal rainstorms of a few hours' duration. Can you only imagine what a big storm would do?

What is with the media and this tropical storm crap. They think it's the worse thing in the world and everybody is going to die from it or something. Their like "omg, a tropical storm is coming, it's going to rain 2 inches here, what are we going to do and how will we ever survive." Give me a break. Man, the media is stupid. A hurricane I could see them covering, but anything less is just ridiculous and on top of that, now were naming our storms off of immigrants from Mexico. What's up with that. Can we use American names please seeing how we are in America. Rant over. :angry:

I'm sorry; however, your rant really does not show you in a good light. Granted, you're young and haven't seen a lot yet, so I'll give you that. However, a tropical cyclone in any form (depression, tropical storm, or hurricane) can produce tremendous amounts of rain and significant storm surge. Tropical storms are especially threatening because they are typically very slow moving and can (in many cases) dump more rain on an area in 24 hours than a hurricane can. OK. You may ask, "so what?" Well, rain, especially in low-lying areas (such as Charleston, pointed out above, Savannah, or just about any costal area along the east coast or gulf coast) can lead to flooding. It is the flooding that produces more deaths from a land-falling tropical system.

As far as the names used for tropical systems, I'm afraid your comments are a little less than politically correct. Furthermore, your comments show that you have very little understanding of how these names are chosen or why. Additionally, the information is readily available for you to research on the internet, had you cared enough to do so. If you're too lazy to think before you act, I might suggest simply CLICKING HERE. If you don't want to research it, then let's think about this for a minute, shall we? North Atlantic tropical systems make land fall on Latin-American islands and mainland countries just as often as they do on the United States, if not more often. Don't the people whose lives are impacted by these storms in other countries have just as much of a right to remember the storms given names specific to their culture as the rest of us? Call me democratic. Call me open-minded. Call me liberal. Call me what you will, but I think they have every right to it.

My apologies in advance for such a sharp-tongued response to your post; however, I find it quite offensive and closed-minded.

Carolinadude is probably too young to remember, but tropical storm Jerry in 1995 dumped 15 inches of rain on the area in about a 20 hour period. This led to MASSIVE flooding problems, and caused a lot of damage in the upstate. This from an otherwise tame tropical storm. Berly in 1994 I think, was another that had a large flooding impact on the area, and that was just the remnants of a tropical storm downgraded to a depression. The names are really a way to keep track of the storms, and recycle on a six year list. The names change when one gets retired.

Yo dude, I regularly work for the media, so watch who you're chewing out. :lol: It is okay though, since I know what actually happens behind the scenes - let's just say it can be annoying to see the lack of coverage on certain stories we like to hear.

As for coverage on the storm... Ernesto has a direct impact on all of us, especially since it could dramatically change our Labor Day weekend plans here in the Upstate (USA Pro Cycling Championships, college football, BMW reunion, etc.), let alone the rest of the state. Both RT and distortedlogic have stated the reasons clearly, so I'll not add more.

The personification of storms is a little odd, "Where will Ernesto go, what is he doing, how will he make his mind up," almost like the way Greco Roman gods were referred to, but yeah, like others said, a tropical storm can many times be a lot more damaging than some cat 1 or 2 hurricane that blows through in a few hours.

Many, many folks in eastern NC have died due to floods from trop storms. Same goes for folks in W. Va, Penn., Va, etc. on northward. Besides damages to farm, housing and company properties.

I was in Charleston just for the weekend a few weeks ago and a small rainstorm came for just a couple of hours and I was afraid my car was about to be flooded driving near MUSC. Trop storms in towns like Summerville, Georgetown, Conway, etc. can be quite deadly and destructive, especially when they just sit there for a day or so.

The personification of storms is a little odd, "Where will Ernesto go, what is he doing, how will he make his mind up," almost like the way Greco Roman gods were referred to

Do I smell some religious intolerance/insensitivity here? How dare you imply that the deities in my religion aren't real! :silly:

Yo dude, I regularly work for the media, so watch who you're chewing out. :lol: It is okay though, since I know what actually happens behind the scenes - let's just say it can be annoying to see the lack of coverage on certain stories we like to hear.

As for coverage on the storm... Ernesto has a direct impact on all of us, especially since it could dramatically change our Labor Day weekend plans here in the Upstate (USA Pro Cycling Championships, college football, BMW reunion, etc.), let alone the rest of the state. Both RT and distortedlogic have stated the reasons clearly, so I'll not add more.

Well, tell the Greenville News then to post a story about the Pinnacle on Main. :whistling: Ernesto is going to move out of here before this weekend. The rain is supposed to end Friday morning. :) Also, if people don't want their house to get flooded during a hurricane or whatever they shouldn't live on a flood plain or on the coast. They know what the risks are and I don't feel sorry for them one bit. These people that are moving to the coast and building new houses/condos are destroying the wetlands that keep the flooding down and under control. Along with that, their destroying sea turtle habitat too.

Edited by carolinadude9409