Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Well, tell the Greenville News then to post a story about the Pinnacle on Main. :whistling: Ernesto is going to move out of here before this weekend. The rain is supposed to end Friday morning. :) Also, if people don't want their house to get flooded during a hurricane or whatever they shouldn't live on a flood plain or on the coast. They know what the risks are and I don't feel sorry for them one bit. These people that are moving to the coast and building new houses/condos are destroying the wetlands that keep the flooding down and under control. Along with that, their destroying sea turtle habitat too.

Perhaps you should avoid taking vacations at the coast if your feelings are such.

School got you stressed out, man?

Yeah, along with work too.

Perhaps you should avoid taking vacations at the coast if your feelings are such.

Nah, I would never turn down a vacation to the beach unless there was a hurricane coming of course. I wouldn't ever live there, but I sure would keep taking vacations there.

Edited by carolinadude9409

Keep in mind that people live there and work there to help serve people that vacation there, too. :thumbsup:

Also keep in mind, Carolinadude, that some of the buildings that "are destroying the wetlands that keep the flooding down and under control" and "destroying sea turtle habitat too" are those that house vacationers, such as you and me, in rental homes, condos and hotels.

Also, if people don't want their house to get flooded during a hurricane or whatever they shouldn't live on a flood plain or on the coast. They know what the risks are and I don't feel sorry for them one bit. These people that are moving to the coast and building new houses/condos are destroying the wetlands that keep the flooding down and under control. Along with that, their destroying sea turtle habitat too.

The people who live along the coast aren't destroying wetlands; developers are. Also, all coastal property isn't wetlands. And there are cities on or near the coast that are actually above sea level that can get flooded when tropical systems hit the region, like Mobile during Katrina. And some parts of inland cities are just low lying areas that are prone to flooding. It's not as simplified as you make it out to be, since you were originally speaking of how weatherpersons are exaggerating when it comes to lesser tropical systems. No matter your views on where people choose to live, they still must be warned of the potential for loss of property or life when it comes to situations like this and they must not be brushed aside or taken lightly just because it's some ol' little itty bitty tropical storm or depression. The threat is still just as real.

I understand that people have bad days. We all do. But lets try to keep that type of rant to ourselves. I'm not a babysitter, and I am tired of having to delete crap like this (its all around, not just this forum). Kudos for everyone for being mature about it.

Hey! Anybody have any idea where I could find one of those European-style oval "GVL" stickers? I've seen them around a bit (including on the Dogs On Wheels cart). I'd like to pick up a few.

Like this?

Or do you mean in person?

P.S. on the above site, I did a search for other Greenville products. I was interested to see that they even have "Greenville Joes" apparel, as well as "Love the team, hate the name" bumper stickers (referring to the Drive). Interesting, huh?

Edited by Greenville

Like this?

Or do you mean in person?

P.S. on the above site, I did a search for other Greenville products. I was interested to see that they even have "Greenville Joes" apparel, as well as "Love the team, hate the name" bumper stickers (referring to the Drive). Interesting, huh?

Similar to that, only the print is in dark green and a very small version of the stylized Greenville City Logo "g" is also on there.

That is interesting that they have the Joes/Love/Hate stuff on there. They're not getting any of my money for it though. :P

Similar to that, only the print is in dark green and a very small version of the stylized Greenville City Logo "g" is also on there.

That is interesting that they have the Joes/Love/Hate stuff on there. They're not getting any of my money for it though. :P

Those sound really cool! I have not seen those. That's what I get for being an out-of-towner and not being up on the new Greenville stuff! :P

OK...I checked at Barefoot Comfort Company, but he doesn't have those stickers there. He does, however, have some really cool new T-Shirts. I got one, in fact. They have an image of the state of South Carolina on the back with "864" running through it in big bold font. On the front left chest is a simple palmetto and crescent moon. :shades: There were also T-Shirts that had "Green Vegas" on them. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if Greenville has a site like this?

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/

An example of whats found there:

Looking toward the Atlanta skyline from the 14 St bridge:

ATL40s.jpg

ATLtoday.jpg

I had seen that site before, and it's a very cool one. I don't think we do have a site like that or someone would have mentioned it on here by now. It would be cool to dig up some old historical photogaphs from the library or somewhere and then go take shots from the same place today. That may be something we can undertake at some point if we have time to do so. It'd be worthwhile, I think.

I was driving into DT the other night on 123 (coming from Easley), and I noticed that none of the building DT have many lights on them. The Carolina first has some lights, but that was just about it. It otherwise looked like a pretty dead town. I would really like for these buildings to put up a few lights, so that one could see there is something there. Gville is so pretty at night on the street level, I think the skyline level should match!

I was driving into DT the other night on 123 (coming from Easley), and I noticed that none of the building DT have many lights on them. The Carolina first has some lights, but that was just about it. It otherwise looked like a pretty dead town. I would really like for these buildings to put up a few lights, so that one could see there is something there. Gville is so pretty at night on the street level, I think the skyline level should match!

I have noticed this recently as well. What happened to the lights on the Liberty Building and the Landmark Building? I have been disappointed that the festive lights in the trees on Main Street near Piazza Bergamo have not been on very much lately either. <_< What a major letdown! I certainly hope this has nothing to do with a new light pollution ordinance. I find it annoying that people would complain about something that is common in any city - something you cannot avoid in an urban setting. :(

The primary complaint regarding light pollution, I believe, is coming from the observatory at the Roper Mountain Science Center. Perhaps the Roper Mountain Science Center should relocate to the top of Paris Mountain (the observatory, at least)? Ironic, considering the number of holiday lights at RMSC every year. :rolleyes:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I don't think Gville's change has been quite that dramatic. Even today we are much closer to the 1947 photo of Atlanta. :rolleyes:

Honestly, go look at a few of the Greenville picture books from the past in Barnes and Noble. I think you'll be surprised how much Greenville has changed. Maybe not as dramatic as ATL, but it's still a big change.

Anybody know when construction on the Cancer survivor's park is supposed to start. I just saw the renderings in the DT store front, and they look awesome. It looks like this could be as nice or even nicer that falls park itself. I am also having trouble pictureing where it will be. Will it adjoin falls park?

The renderings in the window there now are different from what they had been and seem to be less elaborate. I'm not sure when work will begin on the park. I suspect they're still awaiting additional funding before they begin. Skyliner posted some information on the park in another thread a while back (including photos, I believe, of the earlier renderings).

As for where it's located: it's the area between Falls Park and the West End Market behind the Carolina First Amphitheatre (where the grotto and Spring Falls Garden are SEE MAP).

The primary complaint regarding light pollution, I believe, is coming from the observatory at the Roper Mountain Science Center. Perhaps the Roper Mountain Science Center should relocate to the top of Paris Mountain (the observatory, at least)? Ironic, considering the number of holiday lights at RMSC every year. :rolleyes:

I, grew up around Roper Mountain and in 1985 when the science center opened there were not that many lights around that area. And as new businesses, Malls,car lots,grocery stores were built the lights from their parking lots is what they are complaining about.

History Question?

Does anybody, remember what this Roper Mountain property was used for, in 1970 before it belonged to the school district?

Does anybody, remember what this Roper Mountain property was used for, in 1970 before it belonged to the school district?

If I remember correctly it was part of SC's 300 year celebration of Europeans landing at Charle town?

In Charleston they build the Charles town landing to represent the past. In Columbia they built the River bank zoo and other exhibits to represent the present. In Greenville the Roper mountain dome was suppose to represent the future. As I remember the dome was about 1/2 built before it started having some serious structural flaws. Again as I remember it was never completed and stood abandon for years before the school district took over the site.