Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

If I remember correctly it was part of SC's 300 year celebration of Europeans landing at Charle town?

In Charleston they build the Charles town landing to represent the past. In Columbia they built the River bank zoo and other exhibits to represent the present. In Greenville the Roper mountain dome was suppose to represent the future. As I remember the dome was about 1/2 built before it started having some serious structural flaws. Again as I remember it was never completed and stood abandon for years before the school district took over the site.

That was my understanding about that site. I didn't realize that Riverbanks Zoo was part of the tricentennial though. Cool info.

Bob Jones University reports an economic impact on Greenville of about $243.37 million.

http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...INESS/609190456

That is one thing that is often overlooked. Bob Jones in often noted for the religious aspects and controversies but I can't even begin to count the number of businesses I know of that are run by Bob Jones grads in the upstate ane especially on the "eastside" of Greenville. Besides large companies like BMW, Michelin, etc. Bob Jones is probably responsible for bringing in more "non-natives" (usually the Northeast and Upper midwest) than any other place. I'm not counting those coming from other countries as a lot of people who go to Bob Jones to go to school and sometime stay on for the rest of their life. My wife's Aunt and Uncle went to BJU back when it first came to Greenville and now they have retired in the area.

From the DPC

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, October 5, 2006, at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications:

CA 06-104 A request by Tony Bertolo of Bertolo's Pizza to install a walk-up order window opening to the sidewalk at 200 N. Main Street in the Central Business District, Pedestrian Zone.

How cool would this be.

Edited by adrockc2

Or the proposed 10 story residential tower? :D

YEa.... IF both the Green Monster property on the corner of South Main and River Streets AND the 10 story residential tower on Rhett Street both got approved and built, could you imagine the impact on the West End? It's such an exciting place down there, I guess this is how people felt during downtown's original rebirth

I'm confused. Can somebody please tell the "green monster" thing your talking about? I'm pretty sure your not referring to the one at West End Field seeing how that's already built. :whistling:

It's the big green building on the corner of River Street and South main Street, across River Street from the Army Surplus Store.

i can't figure out why everybody likes this place...the one time i went, it was single-handedly the worst pizza i have ever had.....and i've eaten some crappy pizzas.

You must have gone at a bad time, because I really like Bertolo's pizza. It's not the best I have ever had, but it is definitely one of my favorite pizza places in Greenville. :thumbsup:

the walk up window idea i think is good...just wish it was a better place...the time i went the pizza was so greasy and soupy, you about needed a spoon...try to pick up a slice and all that you're left with is soggy bread and a puddle of cheese on the tray. first impressions are everything...i won't go back unless there is no choice or somebody does a very good brainwashing job on me, if i had been there several times and then had an unpleasant experience that would be one thing but right off the bat, sorry you just turned off...i'll stick to Barley's or Mellow Mushroom...haven't tried Bellacino's yet

the walk up window idea i think is good...just wish it was a better place...the time i went the pizza was so greasy and soupy, you about needed a spoon...try to pick up a slice and all that you're left with is soggy bread and a puddle of cheese on the tray. first impressions are everything...i won't go back unless there is no choice or somebody does a very good brainwashing job on me, if i had been there several times and then had an unpleasant experience that would be one thing but right off the bat, sorry you just turned off...i'll stick to Barley's or Mellow Mushroom...haven't tried Bellacino's yet

You should try their Sicilian style.

WYFF 4 started their 5 and 6pm newscast with one of our favorite subjects - DOWNTOWN GREENVILLE! :yahoo: They were discussing the amount of growth taking place over the past few years, and included interviews with the developers of some major projects happening here right now. They even showed the 3D video of The Pinnacle on Main from the website. For some reason, they said it is 15 stories.

• 3 weeks later...