Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

I was just checking out WYFF-4's web site to watch the clip about the Andre Bauer plane crash and I have to ask (not to lose sight of the Lt. Governor's misfortune)... WHAT IS UP WITH "ACTION NEWS 4" and the new "4" in the WYFF Logo???? :sick:

RT, just a website glitch. That is/was a logo from their sister station in Pittsburgh.

Hi guys. I love reading about all the upscale restaurants in the Upstate, and will enjoy many when I go to visit next month, but I have a dumb question. Are there any working class bars where you can have a couple beers and maybe listen to some local southern rock? (no country line dancing or anything like that though!) ;)

Most of the bars are tied to restaurants around here, but there are a few that you could probably feel comfortable at. I'm not a barfly, myself, so I can't name the good ones. But...they're around.

RT, just a website glitch. That is/was a logo from their sister station in Pittsburgh.

Oh, thank GOODNESS! That thing was hideous...WTAE can keep it. :wacko:

Most of the bars are tied to restaurants around here, but there are a few that you could probably feel comfortable at. I'm not a barfly, myself, so I can't name the good ones. But...they're around.

Cool! Thanks. If anyone knows of a particular bar, please chime in. I'm more a music fan than barfly, and I'll go out of my way to see a good local band.

Even though Michelin is a French company, Edouard Michelin (who just passed away) went to high school in Greenville. Never realized the Michelins had such personal ties with Greenville, beyond the business of the North American headquarters. I've heard really great things about Edouard, people loved him....thats the best legacy one can leave.

The story from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../605300337/1003

Even though Michelin is a French company, Edouard Michelin (who just passed away) went to high school in Greenville. Never realized the Michelins had such personal ties with Greenville, beyond the business of the North American headquarters. I've heard really great things about Edouard, people loved him....thats the best legacy one can leave.

The story from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../605300337/1003

As a companion post, I thought this image :cry: in the Greenville News was appropriate.

The City of Greenville Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 5:30 p.m. in the 10th floor Council Chambers at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications:

AX-7-2006. An annexation and rezoning request filed by Carolina First Bank. The subject property is 68.39 acres of land located in The Point development with street frontage on I-85 and Salters Road/ Old Sulpher Springs Road. (TMS # 547.1-1-16.44) The property is currently zoned PD, Planned Development, as part of The Point. The requested zoning is C-3, General Commercial District, for the majority of the property. The portion of the property located along Old Sulpher Springs Road, between the railroad tracks and the adjoining residential development on Maple Circle is proposed to be zoned OD, Office and Institutional District. The applicant's authorized representative is Gary Bruce Thomas, (803) 996-7705.

Z-16-2006. A rezoning request filed by The City of Greenville, The Housing Authority of the City of Greenville, and Phyllis Wheatley Association. The subject properties include approximately 69.7 acres of land with street frontage on Greenacre Road, Webster Road, Clark Street, John McCarroll Way, and Ramsey Court, and includes the Jesse Jackson Townhomes. (TMS # 199.2-5-1, 199.2-1-1.2, and a part of 199.3-1-1). The properties are currently zoned RM-2, Multi-family Residential District, and R-6, Single-family Residential District. The proposed zoning is PD, Planned Development. The proposed plan is to redevelop Jesse Jackson Townhomes with a mix of single-family and multi-family residences. The applicants' authorized agent is Jason Miller of Site Design (864) 271-0496.

Z-17-2006. A rezoning request filed by The City of Greenville. The subject properties are those located in the Pete Hollis Gateway, generally fronting on Buncombe Street, Pete Hollis Boulevard, and Rutherford Street. The properties are currently zoned C-3, General Commercial, R-6, Single-family Residential District, and RM-1, Multi-family Residential District. The proposed zoning is RDV, Redevelopment District. A list of the specific parcels involved with this rezoning is available for review at the City Zoning Office. The applicant's authorized agent is Bryan Wood, Zoning Administrator (864) 467-4476.

Z-18-2006. A text amendment to add the RDV, Redevelopment District, the City of Greenville Code of Ordinances filed by the City of Greenville. The intent of the redevelopment district is to promote appropriate investment and development in commercial areas that are depressed and or underdeveloped. The new development is intended to enhance and support adjacent residential communities by providing job opportunities and convenient access to necessary goods and services. The new development should improve the quality of life for all who live, work, or shop in the area. The district is intended to create a gathering place for adjacent neighborhoods, upgrade and improve the physical, social, and economic character of the area, and to promote mixed-use developments. The applicant's authorized agent is Bryan Wood, Zoning Administrator, (864) 467-4476.

Z-19-2006. A text amendment to revise and add certain zoning definitions, filed by the City of Greenville. The amendment affects Section 50-5 of the City of Greenville Code of Ordinances. The applicant's authorized agent is Bryan Wood, Zoning Administrator (864) 467-4476.

Z-20-2006. A text amendment to establish certain professional requirements for members of the Design & Preservation Commission, filed by the City of Greenville. The amendment affects Section 50-110 of the City of Greenville Code of Ordinances.

To my knowledge, they are all being annexed. Also, I noticed today that there is a sign up now for a new regional shopping center at the intersection of I-85 and Pelham Road. It is not on the corner of Michelin, Fox Carolina, or Waffle House, but on the one that is undeveloped. You can see it when you are getting on the ramp to get on Pelham Road heading northbound on I-85.

G-man, that info about the sign was posted on UP months ago. Hopefully something nice will be the result. Maybe a decent location for BPS? Anyway, someone (probably btoy) posted a site plan layout as well. At that time, we were thinking that Costco might be one of the major anchors, but obviously we know that will not be the case now.

Gah, Just read posts in another forum and it made me throw-up in my mouth.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I LOVE this city and our downtown is AMAZING! :wub: Can't wait to see our towers coming to fruition before the end of the year with more being announced hopefully. :)

G-man, that info about the sign was posted on UP months ago. Hopefully something nice will be the result. Maybe a decent location for BPS? Anyway, someone (probably btoy) posted a site plan layout as well. At that time, we were thinking that Costco might be one of the major anchors, but obviously we know that will not be the case now.

Oh, I had totally forgotten about btoy posting that, my bad. :blush:

Edited by g-man430

To my knowledge, they are all being annexed.

Only the Carolina First parcel is being annexed. The others are already in the city and are changing there zoning classification.

I saw signs today for th Planning Commission in front of the DT library and also across the street. It must have something to do with the landscaping and fountain next to BB&T. Speaking of which, there were some new trees planted in front of Heritage Green, between College and the parking lane.

No ... just conjecture. Costco is going where I thought Bass Pro Shops would be, so I figure Bass Pro Shop will go where I had originally suspected Costco would go. That's all. :lol: It's a prime location right on I-85, between Greenville and Spartanburg.

Well since we lost the Cliffs Heritage project, I would be greatly disappointed with anything less than a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. What we don't need is another standard big-box shopping center that will eventually turn into a vacant eyesore. With a BPS, the surrounding growth would most likely move in a more sustainable direction.

For those of you who listen to Radio Reader on NPR weekday mornings, a new book will begin this week. It is by Greenville native Tommy Hays, and the story is partially set in Greenville.

Story

Looks like this is getting great reviews on Amazon. Will add it to my reading list, thanks.