Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Update!!

Sorry guys, we got Starbucks nixed...kind of, unofficially, the B&N will not have a Starbucks Cafe, it actually will be a Seattle's Best rather than anothr Starbucks. That's officially unofficially the word. I'm sure they won't announce this for quite some time now but we got that from Starbucks today.

As for the location, im more skeptical about it going near the third anchor location, the idea of construction while the skating rink is operating isn't a bright one, i'll keep an eye and ear out however.

Update!!

Sorry guys, we got Starbucks nixed...kind of, unofficially, the B&N will not have a Starbucks Cafe, it actually will be a Seattle's Best rather than anothr Starbucks. That's officially unofficially the word. I'm sure they won't announce this for quite some time now but we got that from Starbucks today.

As for the location, im more skeptical about it going near the third anchor location, the idea of construction while the skating rink is operating isn't a bright one, i'll keep an eye and ear out however.

Thanks for the update. I'm disappointed in the choice of Seattle's Best, however. I love Starbucks.

Isn't it the same thing, just a different name? (doesn't Starbucks own Seattle's Best?)

Yup. Starbucks owns Seattle's Best. Bought them a few years back. Doesn't matter. Both make horrible coffee though I still buy SB's caramel machiatto and occasional coffee (if I don't home brew or stop at Kean by Martin Deidrich, a local master roaster). Anyway, Nordstrom's E-bar has the best coffee in MacArthur.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!

Spoke with the Mall GM again today about any upcoming developments at the mall, here's a synopsis:

- The Barnes & Noble will 'officially' be built in the third anchor location, in the corner next to the parking garage and the mall. The store potentially will have entrances to the street and the parking garage, but not into the mall (they are not tearing down the walls past H&M to open an entrance). Look for construction to start after January, after the skating rink closes down. Currently everything is being negotiated in terms of entrances, etc. They're trying to be open in time for TCC's fall semester, but the full store will more than likely not open until November/December 2007. Possibly opening a satellite facility in a temporary location for the fall semester in the mall while waiting for full construction to complete.

- EQ3 (high end furniture store opening where Jeepers formerly occupied) is scheduled to open December 14th.

- Next year Ann Taylor Loft (i think i heard that right) is the only new store as of now scheduled to open in 2007.

Spoke with the Mall GM again today about any upcoming developments at the mall, here's a synopsis:

- The Barnes & Noble will 'officially' be built in the third anchor location, in the corner next to the parking garage and the mall. The store potentially will have entrances to the street and the parking garage, but not into the mall (they are not tearing down the walls past H&M to open an entrance). Look for construction to start after January, after the skating rink closes down. Currently everything is being negotiated in terms of entrances, etc. They're trying to be open in time for TCC's fall semester, but the full store will more than likely not open until November/December 2007. Possibly opening a satellite facility in a temporary location for the fall semester in the mall while waiting for full construction to complete.

- EQ3 (high end furniture store opening where Jeepers formerly occupied) is scheduled to open December 14th.

- Next year Ann Taylor Loft (i think i heard that right) is the only new store as of now scheduled to open in 2007.

That's good news, although I was really hoping for a "real" third anchor like Bloomingdale's. At least downtown will get a nice bookstore.

I was hoping for a major department store to occupy all of that space because it is prime real estate in the middle of downtown NorVa. At least a nice book store will be there.

I think the farmers' market during summer and ice rink during winter is a good use of the space. Makes the area more of a community. If they plan on keeping that long-term then they should build escalators or stairs down from the second floor dead-end. Anyway, I think eventually downtown or TC will land Bloomingdale's or Parisian as a stand-alone store. Imagine having such a store on Granby. Bring back the old days.

I know I'm late, but this is great news.

Although I agree with one of the posters who said the farmers market in the summer and skating ring in the winter makes it more of a community, I think it would fill out that area. Barnes and Nobles....ahhh that's a lot of space for a bookstore for a downtown that is transitioning (my thoughts), how about one half bookstore, one half something else? Either way it is good news

Personally I would love to see a new tower go up on on that lot attached to the mall, the one that was suppose to be an additional department store.

They could easily make the lower portion that attaches to the mall open retail for a department store, and the upper floors could be condos, apartments, hotel, even office space. Would be a perfect location for something like that too.

Personally I would love to see a new tower go up on on that lot attached to the mall, the one that was suppose to be an additional department store.

They could easily make the lower portion that attaches to the mall open retail for a department store, and the upper floors could be condos, apartments, hotel, even office space. Would be a perfect location for something like that too.

That's what I was thinking too. It'd be the perfect place for a small, upscale boutique hotel above retail. There's no need to waste space anymore, because it's quickly running out!

I don't get it... there won't be any entrance from the B&N/TCC Bookstore to the mall? What about the door on the first floor? I dunno, I wish that they would work on the outside of the mall where they are NOT building anything to make it more of an entrance.

There will be entrances from the store to the parking garage, and from the store to the street level (Freemason and sidewalk in from Monticello) but they are not tearing down or opening walls in the existing building to open to the store. The only feasible option would be to extend the building to encompass the existing doors and windows towards Freemason, but that would extend the building too far into the existing lot so it's not going to happen. Essentially, nothing can interfere for Farmer's Market and especially the ice rink. That's the rundown.

Of course, the infamous: "If I had it my way statement":

I would move the farmers market and ice skating ring to the other side of the Freemason Garage or town point park (even though it would be that much colder down there because of the water) and build a full store. It would be different if they continuously used the space, I would feel differently. I can not mitigate gaining a full store to losing one or two small events a year. Or maybe they can still use the space by carving out a section for such events? AHHHH HAAA, that

Edited by brikkman

Speaking of the Tazewell Hotel, I remember seeing it on Granby Street and I liked the look. Does it enjoy a good reputation? I also noticed what years ago was the Commodore Maury Hotel on Granby. I believe it was turned into an upscale boutique type called The Madison, but on my October visit I noticed there was construction activity and it appeared closed.

Is the new work at MacArthur you guys speak of approximately across the street from the NorVa?

Speaking of the Tazewell Hotel, I remember seeing it on Granby Street and I liked the look. Does it enjoy a good reputation? I also noticed what years ago was the Commodore Maury Hotel on Granby. I believe it was turned into an upscale boutique type called The Madison, but on my October visit I noticed there was construction activity and it appeared closed.

Is the new work at MacArthur you guys speak of approximately across the street from the NorVa?

I think the commodore turned into the federal building burt

The Commodore Maury was built as the Southland Hotel. The name was later changed in honor of Commodore Maury. Still later, the name "Madison" was dredged up from somewhere. I would like to see the original name returned to the building. It is being renovated as condos/apartments now.

I think the commodore turned into the federal building burt

No, Rus. The one I'm talking about is across Granby from the Fed Building and up the street toward the Granby Theatre.

And Tom, I thought the Southland was around City Hall on Granby across from the Monticello (which is now the site of the Fed).

Edited by burt