Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

That artical was a little scary with all the power two unelected citizens have in who can open a restuarant downtown and who can't. And what did they mean when they said the right people :huh: That was in reference to the customers going to there establishments. I have a feeling none of us would be considered the "right people". <_<

That artical was a little scary with all the power two unelected citizens have in who can open a restuarant downtown and who can't. And what did they mean when they said the right people :huh: That was in reference to the customers going to there establishments. I have a feeling none of us would be considered the "right people". <_<

It is scary. I'm not even sure how they could possibly think that's not a conflict of interest. I certainly don't think it's in the best interest of downtowns diversity to have a resturant owner making decisions that affect their competition. :rolleyes:

As long as Mayor Fraim gets his donations, he won't see a conflict either. Sadly this happens all the time in every city, county, state, and federal setting. It's called the old boy network. Like the saying goes it's not what you know but who you know.

At present, Norfolk, and the area in general have a pretty fair record when it comes to this type of thing. There really are far worse areas around the U.S. and indeed in other developed countries where the profusion of backdoor deals, etc. are rigueur du jour.

I think the decision to elect Norfolk's mayor directly was an especially bad one. The old system of choosing from the city council helped keep this type of thing in check on the mayor's side. Remember how they talked him not having any additional powers as is current? And now of course there is talk about increasing the powers of the mayor since he is elected directly. As well, I fear with a racially divided city like Norfolk, future mayoral races will see the return of race into politics.

And whenever I come down, one of the first places I head to is Nordstrom's. Anthony products for men for their razor burn repair and shower gel (and far cheaper than Olgivy's here) and their white t-shirts, which ironically enough are made in Canada (the elastic collars don't stretch as badly as others brands over time). I also browse their tie and shirt (dress) section. I like the Nordstrom brand shirts a lot as they are good quality and not terribly expensive for a college student.

Edited by Glassoul

As long as Mayor Fraim gets his donations, he won't see a conflict either. Sadly this happens all the time in every city, county, state, and federal setting. It's called the old boy network. Like the saying goes it's not what you know but who you know.

Anybody who has lived in Norfolk for an extended period of time knows that city politics are dominated by the good old boys. It's still the south.

People will do more for their friends than they will for strangers, that is human nature. I am taken back though at the hypocrisy involved when the couple can get a bar permit to allow drinks until 2am, 7 days a week, and then turn around and try to place some kind of moral authority on what type of establishments should be able to do that. Also, do you think anyone will be allowed to come into Granby Street and open an oyster bar or steakhouse? Doubtful with her on the commission.

Edited by vaceltic

Anybody who has lived in Norfolk for an extended period of time knows that city politics are dominated by the good old boys. It's still the south.

Lol, this type of thing isn't limited to the South my friend. Come spend some time up here in Quebec and you'll get to see a real dose of political back scratching, backdoor deals, and borderline corruption.

Seven's will include:

Basement: 2700sq feet, bar area, 25 seats for patrons

First floor: 2600sq feet, small bar, 42 seats for patrons

Second floor: 2700sq feet, pool table, 540sq foot dance floor

Third floor: 2700sq feet, 541sq foot dance floor, VIP lounge with 18 seats

Total capacity = 325 people.

DJ's and live bands will be allowed.

This is the location:

sevens.jpg

Do you all think Norfolk is hurting itself with all these restaurants and night clubs? Don't you all think we need some street level shopping? Something outside the mall that would help generate some foot traffic downtown.

Not at all. All those resturants and nightclubs are keeping downtown hopping at night. To increase daytime foot traffic, yeah they can use some more retail and the North Granby corridor will likely supply that eventually. But as for the resturants and nightclubs, all they can do is help (for a city its size Norfolk is actually underserved in this department).

Do you all think Norfolk is hurting itself with all these restaurants and night clubs? Don't you all think we need some street level shopping? Something outside the mall that would help generate some foot traffic downtown.

I have been wondering the same thing myself (for some time I might add) about the street level retail in DT. While having restaurants is great some shops would definitely add more traffic. I have been patiently waiting for it to come yet really there is virtually none to speak of. Old Town Alexandria is a great example of a city that has very successfully incorporated retail with restaurants as well as all types of housing options. A lot of Granby has quickly filled up although the northern part of the street may have some opportunity particularly after renovation.

I have been wondering the same thing myself (for some time I might add) about the street level retail in DT. While having restaurants is great some shops would definitely add more traffic. I have been patiently waiting for it to come yet really there is virtually none to speak of. Old Town Alexandria is a great example of a city that has very successfully incorporated retail with restaurants as well as all types of housing options. A lot of Granby has quickly filled up although the northern part of the street may have some opportunity particularly after renovation.

I believe this will all change after some key residential developments are complete. Give it time and it will come.

I personally think a mix of retail and restaurants is a better fit. As it is, when and if it comes, it will be on one end of Granby. At any rate, I do hope the city is encouraging it to happen.

Granby is not the only street in DT. I believe it will be mixed in with Granby and possibly down Brambleton and in the DT Plaza area.