Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Well I recently braved the crowds of Wal-Mart at Janaf (shudder) but got to driving around the new stores and realized what a good affect that Wal-Mart has had on Janaf in general.

There is a new Panera, Great Clips and Qdoba (first for Norfolk and only a few in the state) on the way. There seems to be no problem filling all the new space there... so I am hoping Norfolk wakes up and starts getting the road situation there sorted out.

Hopefully the new Wal-Mart on Tidewater brings that area up a little as well. I think that in small towns, Wal-Mart has a reputation of wiping out a lot of businesses, but it seems that in urban areas, they can bring it back. isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Well I recently braved the crowds of Wal-Mart at Janaf (shudder) but got to driving around the new stores and realized what a good affect that Wal-Mart has had on Janaf in general.

There is a new Panera, Great Clips and Qdoba (first for Norfolk and only a few in the state) on the way. There seems to be no problem filling all the new space there... so I am hoping Norfolk wakes up and starts getting the road situation there sorted out.

Hopefully the new Wal-Mart on Tidewater brings that area up a little as well. I think that in small towns, Wal-Mart has a reputation of wiping out a lot of businesses, but it seems that in urban areas, they can bring it back. isn't it ironic, don't you think?

So that walmart is open huh?

Good to see another walmart open in norfolk, the one off military hwy in norfolk was just crazy with people any time of the day. Maybe this will relieve some of the crowds.

I also didn't know they were building additional businesses over there, I guess that is to be expected.

Edited by brikkman

Hi All, This is my inaugural post on UP. I love the discussion about urban development that's going on here and am glad to see the Hampton Roads region finally get on the bandwagon.

My post is related to the quality of the Macy's that replaced Hecht's in the region. I live in New York, but visit VaBeach often. This past Christmas, I visited the Macy's in Lynnhaven Mall, thinking it was going to be a huge improvement over Hecht's in terms of selection of goods, presentation and experience. I was sorely disappointed. I love shopping at Macy's here in NYC, but the new Macy's down there didn't resemble my experience when I go to Macy's in New York. I sent them the following email letter that I thought I'd share with you here. I put this post here because I gave a big plug for Macy's to consider MacArthur Center for a flagship store.

Peace.

My comments are about the store at the Lynnhaven Mall location.

My Overall Shopping Experience at this location was Disappointing.

I thought that the Overall Cleanliness at this location was Disappointing.

I thought that the Overall Attitude of the Associates at this location was Very Good.

Shopping Experience Comments:

Dear Macy's,

First off, please do not sell my email address or phone number. I only provided them here because I am sincerely interested in the success of your brand and of the stores that you converted from Hecht's to Macy's in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia. I provided my contact information because I would be happy to discuss further my thoughts on my store experience in Virginia.

I am originally from Virginia Beach, VA and on my recent visit to my family this past Christmas holiday 2006, I decided to go shopping at the Lynnhaven Mall Macy's in Virginia Beach. I currently live in Brooklyn and I love shopping at Macy's, whether it's at Herald Square or in downtown Brooklyn. I think the selection of goods is outstanding for the price value, the stores are generally presentable and uncluttered. I always walk out of the store with something I want or pleased with thoughts of things I need to buy on a future visit.

I raved to my family that they would love Macy's so much more than Hechts when it was announced that Federated was buying the May Company stores and converting them to the Macy's nameplate.

I visited the Macy's at Lynnhaven Mall around Christmas, assuming that was going to be the flagship store for Macy's in the area due to its location in Lynnhaven Mall. I was hoping to find a good assortment of INC clothing, Alfani brand shoes, and higher quality clothing from labels that were never available at Hecht's (I always thought Hecht's had such a dowdy selection of goods). Mind you, I wasn't expecting all of the high fashion labels that are available on the 2nd Floor of the Men's Store at Herald Square, but I was expecting a significant improvement over Hecht's. However during my visit - a visit when I was ready to plunk down a significant amount of money on clothing - I was sorely disappointed and left empty handed.

My experience at the Lynnhaven Mall Macy's wasn't markedly different from the Hecht's that it replaced - the only substantial differences I noticed were, obviously the new store name, the new directional signage and price scanners in the store and a few token items from Macy's in-house brands such as INC and Alfani in the Men's section and MAC makeup in the cosmetics area.

Overall, the selection and quality of goods seemed little changed from what Hecht's had offered. I found the same unexciting and even frumpy garments for sale and the same old Calvin Klein/Ralph Lauren/Nautica items that are just so boring and which Hecht's always offered.

However, most importantly, the store was a cluttered mess and the appearance really disappointed me. I know it was the busy holiday season, but clothing was in a disarray all over the store - not just in the men's section, and the store's presentation still had the cluttered, overfilled/unedited selection and unkempt appearance that I felt Hecht's always had. In New York, I feel that the stores have a wide selection of carefully chosen goods at various price ranges, but not simply everything garment available under the sun.

Furthermore, when I need shoes, I know I can always depend on Macy's in New York to have exactly what I need - particularly in the quality loafers and dress shoes I use for work and going out. The Men's Shoe section at Macy's in Lynnhaven Mall was an utter joke. It was a small corner next to the Men's underwear section and had an embarrassingly unattractive selection of shoes - I was really hoping to buy replacements for my Alfani loafers that I bought at Herald Square and which I love.

Now, I know that Federated only recently bought May Co., and perhaps some time will be needed to fully transition the stores to the complete Macy's experience and get rid of all that dowdy old inventory from Hecht's. But if that is the case, you need to hurry up. It is my sense that the first impression Federated has left in Virginia Beach has been underwhelming. My mom and aunt both told me that they didn't like Macy's and thought it was the same as Hecht's but with higher prices.

During my visit to Virginia Beach, I also went to the Greenbrier Mall Macy's in Chesapeake which left me with the same experience I had at Lynnhaven Mall - it was simply Hecht's with a different name.

I really want Macy's to succeed and I hope you will take my comments to heart. I would love to be able to go to a Macy's in Hampton Roads when I visit and be able to leave with something I want. As far as department stores, that area has Nordstrom - which has more of a selection of goods I would like to buy but generally at much higher price points; Dillard's - which is little different from the old Hecht's in terms of price and selection (i.e. unexciting and generally conservatively styled clothing); and then mass-market or discount retailers like JCPenney, Sears, Target and Wal-Mart. I think a store with the full Macy's experience would fill an unserved market niche in that area - high quality, forward-fashions and exciting styles and brands at moderate price points. I would love to see that happen. For one, the sales taxes are lower there, and two, my parents are usually willing to buy me things when I come home. So please improve the experience at Macy's at the former Hecht's in Hampton Roads or at least create one flagship store that has the true Macy's experience. Perhaps instead of making an existing store that flagship, you could create an exciting new store at Norfolk's MacArthur Center. There is still a spot left for a three-level anchor store at that mall and I and many others in the area would be thrilled if Macy's filled that spot at that terrific mall.

Thank you.

Hi All, This is my inaugural post on UP. I love the discussion about urban development that's going on here and am glad to see the Hampton Roads region finally get on the bandwagon.

My post is related to the quality of the Macy's that replaced Hecht's in the region. I live in New York, but visit VaBeach often. This past Christmas, I visited the Macy's in Lynnhaven Mall, thinking it was going to be a huge improvement over Hecht's in terms of selection of goods, presentation and experience. I was sorely disappointed. I love shopping at Macy's here in NYC, but the new Macy's down there didn't resemble my experience when I go to Macy's in New York. I sent them the following email letter that I thought I'd share with you here. I put this post here because I gave a big plug for Macy's to consider MacArthur Center for a flagship store.

Peace.

Welcome to the forum, and great first post! I have not been to a Hecht's turn Macy's before, but I have been to a Marshall Field's turn Macy's. I've only been to Macy's in nice malls though (like MacArthur), so I can't confirm your claims about other Macy's. However, you should know that Barnes & Noble is planning to take at least some of the space where the third anchor would go in MacArthur, so as far as I know, we probably won't get another traditional anchor at MacArthur. It would be nice if Macy's built a stand-alone store somewhere downtown though. ;)

Edited by okinawatyphoon

While change can be scary, none of these restaurantors is really considering the health of their workers nor the current opportunity cost of lost business that may be going elsewhere or not going anywhere because of the possibility of having to breath someone else's tobacco smoke while enjoying and paying for a delicious dinner.

I have been to both Asian Grill and Rama Thai in the past month or so and this review pretty much nailed it.

Asian Grill was average and borderline overpriced. Rama Thai is on the "gotta go back there" list, and high on it as well.

I agree...I love me some chicken pad thai!

While change can be scary, none of these restaurantors is really considering the health of their workers nor the current opportunity cost of lost business that may be going elsewhere or not going anywhere because of the possibility of having to breath someone else's tobacco smoke while enjoying and paying for a delicious dinner.

Letting my inner conservative out here: This is a change that I firmly believe has to come from the market itself, not from legislation. The merits of a smoke-free environment are numerous and self-evident; also, a smoke-filled restaurant will likely drive away some consumers who would prefer not to sit in that kind of environment. For those reasons, restaurant owners should prohibit smoking in their establishments. For the same reasons, lawmakers should prohibit smoking in enclosed public spaces - and I can see no reason why anyone should have the right to smoke cigarettes in the U.S. Capitol, one of the most significant pieces of historic architecture in the country. However to disallow tobacco smoking in private establishments where consumers are free to demonstrate their support or opposition to smoke-free restaurants with their selective patronage strikes me as overly totalizing. There are some circumstances where smoking is perfectly acceptable and should not be outlawed. This should be a "right to choose" issue alongside abortion rights and marriage equality. The government would be wise to restrict smoking in all government-owned facilities, but there is no reason why a populace informed about the dangers of tobacco smoking cannot make their own choices at the level of the individual.

As a former smoker, I know I would go out to eat more often if they ban smoking in bars and restaurants. I'm leery of subjecting myself to more damage than I've already inflicted upon myself. When I was a smoker, I was aggressively against any ban on smoking, but that was 25 years ago. Now, I know that I would benefit from a ban, but I am still philosophically troubled by the idea. Nevertheless, the market hasn't really addressed this issue fully because I cannot stand to be in many places because of the smoke. I've all but given up going out to bars and nightclubs, and I no longer perform as a musician in such places. If my livelyhood depended on being in being in such places, I'd be out on the street. So it ain't simple, folks.

I don't believe that it is so simple. A responsible market should offer you the ability to eat/work/play in a smoke-free environment. Now, I usually don't trust the market to be responsible and I don't drink in bars often so I don't know how that works out in practice, but it seems only logical that if consumers want smoke-free restaurants there will be businesspeople eager to take their money. I don't think I would oppose a system in which business owners had to obtain a permit to allow smoking on thier property, but I could not support a complete ban.

The interesting thing about the ban on smoking in restaurants and bars is that most discussion about the issue is framed from a consumer-choice perspective (choice to have a smoking vs. non-smoking restaurant experience) rather than an employee working condition perspective.

I don't recall what the law is in Virginia, but the New York City ban was first enacted not only because of the benefits to customers, but most of all because people who work in restaurants and bars are technically entitled to a non-smoking work environment just like anyone else who works in the office towers, retail stores, etc.

Almost four years after the ban was passed here in NYC, going out to the bars and clubs is a far more enjoyable experience without the din of second-hand smoke and the thousands of service sector employees who work in restaurants and bars don't have their health threatened every day by second hand smoke.

So yeah, your token East Village hipster will complain in public when a newspaper reporter asks, but privately, many feel the same way about the ban - that it's actually been a great thing. Last time I visited Va. Beach over the holidays, I met some friends at the Red Star Tavern in Pembroke and found it impossible to deal with all the second-hand smoke and hated the way my clothes smelled. So be happy that Norfolk is considering the ban!

Edited by NorfolkerAtHeart

Letting my inner conservative out here: This is a change that I firmly believe has to come from the market itself, not from legislation. The merits of a smoke-free environment are numerous and self-evident; also, a smoke-filled restaurant will likely drive away some consumers who would prefer not to sit in that kind of environment. For those reasons, restaurant owners should prohibit smoking in their establishments. For the same reasons, lawmakers should prohibit smoking in enclosed public spaces - and I can see no reason why anyone should have the right to smoke cigarettes in the U.S. Capitol, one of the most significant pieces of historic architecture in the country. However to disallow tobacco smoking in private establishments where consumers are free to demonstrate their support or opposition to smoke-free restaurants with their selective patronage strikes me as overly totalizing. There are some circumstances where smoking is perfectly acceptable and should not be outlawed. This should be a "right to choose" issue alongside abortion rights and marriage equality. The government would be wise to restrict smoking in all government-owned facilities, but there is no reason why a populace informed about the dangers of tobacco smoking cannot make their own choices at the level of the individual.

What choice do the employees have?

To petition their employers to make a change, to organize, to look for a job with another employer. Honestly, this is a very hard position for me to hold ideologically because I am a pretty consistent advocate of workers' rights. But, as I said, I'm all for greater restrictions or regulation but an outright ban seems to me a step too far.

To petition their employers to make a change, to organize, to look for a job with another employer. Honestly, this is a very hard position for me to hold ideologically because I am a pretty consistent advocate of workers' rights. But, as I said, I'm all for greater restrictions or regulation but an outright ban seems to me a step too far.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think any job in the USA should come with a known serious health risk as part of the job conditions. If we were talking about some small, niche business or industry, perhaps I might think otherwise and agree with you. However, we are talking about a category that must employee hundreds of thousands across the country. These people contribute to high health costs due to smoking by their exposure, and there is untold impact on lives and families. So, I think an outright ban on smoking in restaurants implemented today would be a day too late.

Ya know, I never really paid attention to the Ads by Google on this site, but after noticing them, they're hilarious. Most of the forums have ads for refi, mortgages or condos in that respective city (i.e. condos in VB on the VB forum). But this forum, because of the smoking in restaurants debate has ads for help to quit smoking and links to a site advocating tolerance of smokers.

I' am a smoker who thinks it is a good trend around the country. Here in Austin a ban went into place about a year ago. Business droped off initially then rebounded greater than it was before. I think what it does is bring in people who would other wise stay away. Those who stoped going out eventually went back, like me they couldn't help themselves. :lol:

You make a really good point, Chesapeake Pirate. If I wasn't before, I'm officially torn now. I still think if we're going to pass a sweeping ban then we need to establish provisions for exceptional circumstances (such as hookah bars, cigar clubs, and other businesses whose primary product is tobacco).

Edited by gosscj

Letting the market decide in issues of safety is always a bad idea. Go to Brazil or Mexico and see how safe (unsafe) the cars are there because of the lack of government regulation.

And to put the blame on the worker in an issue like this (find another job is easy to say) is absurd. People most often take jobs to financially support themselves and not for the sheer pleasure, especially jobs like waiting tables. Sure they "chose" the job, but for people who work in this field, it is usually out of necessity.

First it was a smoking ban, then a trans-fat ban, then.........

Get my point?

If I waited tables or went out to eat, I being an adult can choose which establishment I will either work at or dine at.

Same thing when I choose what I will be eating. If I want to eat foods with trans-fats in then, that is MY choice!

So what will be next? One can only guess! -_-

First it was a smoking ban, then a trans-fat ban, then.........

Get my point?

If I waited tables or went out to eat, I being an adult can choose which establishment I will either work at or dine at.

Same thing when I choose what I will be eating. If I want to eat foods with trans-fats in then, that is MY choice!

So what will be next? One can only guess! -_-

Do you think that everyone who works in restaurants which allow smoking have a lot of choice as to their employment? I think not.