Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

As promised, i looked into the B&N situation...

Spoke with the mall GM this afternoon. Originally the plans were for the third anchor site, but the negotiations fell through (which i can understand, no mall access, only to the parking garage, new construction costs, wouldnt thrill me either) The location is correct, Waldenbooks, Fiore, Sports Zone and FYE, all are closed except FYE, which is scheduled to close in the next week or so. Construction has already begun on the store, demolition has begun on the lower level (Walden and Fiore). Look for a Summer 07 opening now that it's not new construction. Also, it appears the Seattles Best store has been downgraded to simply licensed for the coffee, no pastries, large menu, etc, so the cafe has been watered down quite a bit from their initial announcement.

There is however some development going on outside where the skating rink was. There's been some machinery out there, leveling and grading the site, and it looks like some of the sidewalk has been broken up and taken out as well. I asked, and got a smile, wink and can't talk about that one yet, so your guess is as good as mine.

Fink's Jewelers is relocating from near Nordstroms to the old Illuminations/Evo Giongi site, construction has begun there as well, i believe.

Even fye is closing? What is going on?

Is the dollar store still open?

Dollar Store closed in August 05.

Even fye is closing? What is going on?

Just my opinion, but FYE has been dated ever since Best Buy and Circuit City have gotten big. Charging $22 for a new DVD that sells for $15 at BB or CC just doesn't work these days. FYE has never had much traffic from what i've seen. It's just on the wrong side of the third floor. People come to the food court, and that's pretty much it. There's a little traffic that goes towards Dilliards, EQ3, etc, but nowhere near the amount on the second and first floors. It's a tough location. I could see it not being successful. Also, i'm sure the mall would rather have three or four stores taken up by one large retailer (see: H&M, Forever 21, EQ3, now B&N) rather than four shops. It's harder for the stores to pull out of that large a commitment. The niche and specialty stores, Williams and Sonoma, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, etc, will always be successful, being exclusive or near exclusive.

The other possible factor? Rent. MacArthur is astronomically higher than Greenbrier, Pembroke, even Lynnhaven. Makes it another issue to consider as well.

Also wishful thinking seems to be development continuing across brambleton for sometime. (tattoo salon ok'd)

While I have nothing against the tattoo salon its location irks me a bit. I had been lead to believe that a dept. store, one that has admittedly now diluted its brand name to the point that they're a dime a dozen, was looking at that area as part of a potential mixed use development. I say potential because it's been a little more than a year and a half since i've heard any such talk and I'm willing to say that that Idea is probably dead. Still though it seems that Norfolk should be chomping at the bit to secure some of that land in order to keep development that is incompatible with their vision from springing up.

Did you ever reveal the name of that possible store, vdogg? I remember you had us going for a long time. My guess was Parisienne which has subsequently been gobbled up by Belks, I think.

Did you ever reveal the name of that possible store, vdogg? I remember you had us going for a long time. My guess was Parisienne which has subsequently been gobbled up by Belks, I think.

I've always known the name, still don't know if I can officially say it though. Definately not Parisian. My comment "Diluted their brand name to the point that they're a dime a dozen" should be an easy give away. Used to be fairly high end up till recently, now they're just as common as Kmart.

Don't know if anyone cares but MTV's Super Sweet 16 show this past weekend featured a girl from Virginia Beach and included a $300,000 birthday party at Granby's premier theater. There were several shots of Granby Street throughout the show.

I haven't seen it yet but I knew about it. My friends, cousins, best friend (:lol:) was the girl of honor and her father spent lavish amounts of money there (her dress cost $7000). Its nice that they showcased Granby but I wish it were for something a bit more meaningful. :rolleyes:

Don't know if anyone cares but MTV's Super Sweet 16 show this past weekend featured a girl from Virginia Beach and included a $300,000 birthday party at Granby's premier theater. There were several shots of Granby Street throughout the show.

Wow, I want to see it! I think the show is hilarious to watch. But it's MTV, so I know it will be re-run for years. :shades:

There is however some development going on outside where the skating rink was. There's been some machinery out there, leveling and grading the site, and it looks like some of the sidewalk has been broken up and taken out as well. I asked, and got a smile, wink and can't talk about that one yet, so your guess is as good as mine.

This is not a new development, the sand they used for the ice rink was construction grade sand, so it clumped together and had to broken to be removed. As of right now there's still nothing happening on this site in regards to any development.

Fiore has not closed, simply relocated to the far side of the mall, near Nordstroms (i dont get down there very often). Sunglass Hut has not closed, they're undergoing a remodel, like i thought.

This is not a new development, the sand they used for the ice rink was construction grade sand, so it clumped together and had to broken to be removed. As of right now there's still nothing happening on this site in regards to any development.

Fiore has not closed, simply relocated to the far side of the mall, near Nordstroms (i dont get down there very often). Sunglass Hut has not closed, they're undergoing a remodel, like i thought.

Sheesh, next time i need to get all my information before i get on here, took a walk today, here ya go:

FYE, closing from the third floor, moving to the 1st floor, across from Sharper Image, where Just Casual used to be

Fiore, closed from the second floor, moved to the 2nd floor next to Nordstroms in the old Timberland store, it's back open

Fink's Jewelers is moving from next to Nordstroms down the second level next to Harry & David and Apple, old Illuminations store.

No development outside, just redoing the lot...for now.

Sheesh, next time i need to get all my information before i get on here, took a walk today, here ya go:

FYE, closing from the third floor, moving to the 1st floor, across from Sharper Image, where Just Casual used to be

Fiore, closed from the second floor, moved to the 2nd floor next to Nordstroms in the old Timberland store, it's back open

Fink's Jewelers is moving from next to Nordstroms down the second level next to Harry & David and Apple, old Illuminations store.

So most of the stores that seemed to be closing are just reshuffling? That's a little better news. :thumbsup:

So most of the stores that seemed to be closing are just reshuffling? That's a little better news. :thumbsup:

Yeah, same thing as what happened with H&M. Sharper Image and As Seen on TV all relocated for them to open their store. Waldenbooks and Sportszone closed for good, but FYE and Fiore are just relocating. Much better news. My bad :unsure:

Additionally Ann Taylor Lofts is under construction across from RadioShack, next to Select Comfort. Once B&N opens, and the other stores relocate and open, the mall will only have a handful of vacancies. One next to the 2nd level Starbucks (As Seen on Tv is moving again apparently) one where Fink's currently is, and one next to Christian Bernard. The Ann Taylor Lofts site has been empty for eternity, as has the site where FYE is moving to. Three vacancies isn't too bad for the square footage. It'll be the least amount of vacanies i believe in the history of MacArthur Center thus far. Having massive shops like H&M, B&N, and EQ3 are utilizing maximum space, to a benefit.

There's a new art store across from customer service (The Gallery), this is a 'temp' store, same as As Seen on TV, they're shuffled around for the needs of the mall and permanent tenants.

Has anyone visited the new store EQ3 ? I hope to go this weekend and check them out.

Very airy, very modern, i bought a couple of lamps from them last week. It's very contemporary, modern furniture. There's a thick@ss catalogue they'll give you if you ask for it, very informative.

La Galleria restaurant just got sold! Right now I have no idea if the new owner intends on keeping the restaurant but my intuition tells me they are looking to do something with the land! I "hear" that the new owner might be looking to buy other parcels of land on that street. I'm still digging for more info...

Did it seem that people were attracted to the store? Does it look like it will be sticking around?

I've seen people milling around there alot, more on the weekends then on weekdays. It's hard to gauge business since no one walks out with an EQ3 bag, lol, but there's no reason they wouldn't stick around, that i know of. At least three - five years, the likely length of their lease.

I love modern furniture. Is this locally owned.. Bloom Bros I think it is.

Negative, EQ3 is a national chain