Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I'm glad that its here but I don't think that I will purchase anything from there. I'm a PC guy and not a Mac fan. I don't hate them but the reasons for getting them are becoming non existence. There now are viruses and spyware that Macs can get now.

I'm a pc guy too but i've always wanted a mac. Me and a friend of mine are both gonna build our next PCs but as far as laptops go i've never had one. I've always known that if I got a laptop it would probably be a mac. Their models are so sleek and they have some very cool features. They also had some pretty neat ipod stereos and various other gadgets there as well. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I'm making up my Christmas wish list as we speak. :shades:

I hear ya. Macs use to be the sh!t for multimedia but PC's now are running neck and neck with them and actually are passing them for that. I just built me a PC. Got a A8N32SLI Asus motherboard, AMD dual core 4200 processor, NVidia 7900 graphics card, planning on getting another since I have SLI, and 250G hard drive( going to get 2 more to run RAID 0). Just bought Battlefield 2 with the specials forces package.

Finally went by the apple store yesterday (been on vacation all week so havent been to the mall) very impressive, lots of interaction, ipods especially. H&M has clothes in the store, they really busted their tails to open on Thursday, last projection i heard was early October. And a buddy of mine is looking at retail space on Granby St through a broker, looking for a place to open a restaurant and bar. Found a place that's 6K square feet for $5K a month? Anyone familiar with the leasing prices in downtown? Only substantial place i could think of was the old Station 2, or else something north of Brambelton.

That doesn't sound too bad. I heard a figure for the space above Relative Theory Records (which is above Time Lounge) and it was near there.

The place you are talking of is the one where your looking down correct? I had kidded with coworkers passing by about how funny it would be to rent it and use it as residential space, putting your bed down there where passerbys look down into your bedroom. Sort of like a real life trueman show or some such.

Obviously the city won't allow it. Ironically though, the 15th floor office space the company I was working for was cheaper than the cost of renting apartments.

I hear ya. Macs use to be the sh!t for multimedia but PC's now are running neck and neck with them and actually are passing them for that. I just built me a PC. Got a A8N32SLI Asus motherboard, AMD dual core 4200 processor, NVidia 7900 graphics card, planning on getting another since I have SLI, and 250G hard drive( going to get 2 more to run RAID 0). Just bought Battlefield 2 with the specials forces package.

Macs were faster at one thing, and that was Photoshop. That is most likely because of the way Adobe was writing photoshop. Take Adobe Premiere, a video editing app that I'm pretty familiar with. It performed like a dog on the PC. Then Apple started competing directly with Adobe, by pushing Final Cut Pro. When hardware + OS vendor competes with developers, this makes them mad. So Adobe pulled Premiere off of the Mac, and re-wrote the PC version. All of a sudden, Premiere ran much much faster and had modern features. On my system converting a video using Premiere might take a day, where as using a stand alone utility would take an hour or two. It was just Adobe causing things to run slow.

Modern Macs are nothing more than high priced PCs. I have friends that have run OS X on generic Dells and other PC systems both native and in virtual machine windows.

My Apple using friend bought a Macbook and made the comment "Apples finally don't feel slow."

I own a 800mhz G4, but don't use it much. Main desktops are PCs running Windows, with most of my servers running the free operating systems like FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux and a few Sun and SGI systems (Mostly web hosting operations, and geek projects).

I have a plain vanilla Dell for music production. It's fast and reliable, even with when loading virtual orchestras and the Kontact sampler. But I had to disable everything (use regedit etc.) Dell and Windows preloads and install a firewire card to make it work. Apple used to be the only way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Academic superstore to open at MacArthur Center

Book lovers and city boosters who have clamored for a downtown Barnes & Noble store will get their wish - sort of.

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers Inc. plans to open a bookstore in MacArthur Center next summer to serve Tidewater Community College. The two-story, 28,000-square-foot store will serve as the central location for TCC's four campuses, with a satellite site on campus in Virginia Beach.

It's envisioned as more than a college bookstore selling only textbooks and a variety of school apparel and merchandise. Dubbed an "academic superstore," it will also offer mass-market trade titles and many features of a non college Barnes & Noble - including a magazine and newspapers section, a children's department and even a Starbucks Cafe.

Interesting, I wonder what their prices will be like? My book costs this semester were ridiculously expensive.

This is a great development. I really like the Barnes and Noble academic hybrid store in Williamsburg. This will make the mall a much better attraction for me and a for lot of other people as well. I have to wonder though, what is the world record for number of Starbucks outlets under one roof (not counting airports).

This is a great development. I really like the Barnes and Noble academic hybrid store in Williamsburg. This will make the mall a much better attraction for me and a for lot of other people as well. I have to wonder though, what is the world record for number of Starbucks outlets under one roof (not counting airports).

The Starbucks in this store will be a full Starbucks. The two that are already in MacArthur are not full Starbucks.

It will be interesting to see where they place this store since it will take up space in two floors.

Looks like there will be another store shuffle in the mall.

The Starbucks in this store will be a full Starbucks. The two that are already in MacArthur are not full Starbucks.

It will be interesting to see where they place this store since it will take up space in two floors.

Looks like there will be another store shuffle in the mall.

That or they build an extention on the mall where is stated before

Our company runs the two Starbucks; the article's been out for 12 hours and we're already up in arms. More than likely the Starbucks will not come to fruition unless our company is running it; our legal department is re-examining our contract for our competition clauses and what our options are in blocking or taking over this development (Starbucks only). One on Main St and another opening on Granby is one thing, but having one directly under the roof as competition is another, i can't see our company letting that stand, unless they give us the contract which is extremely unlikely. Don't bet too much on the Starbucks making it through to the final plans of the store.

I doubt it will be a real Starbucks. I've seen very few Barnes&Noble's with a true Starbucks attached. Usually it is a B&N Cafe serving Starbucks coffee. The Pilot is notoriously wrong and this is in addition to people always confusing B&N Cafe serving Starbucks with a true Starbucks. So unless the contract states no other coffee shops (which I doubt since there's an E-bar) or no other chains serving Starbucks coffee (which may be possible), then I don't see what legal action can be taken.

As for the store, where would they build it? I just looked at a mall map and the place looks full for the first time since opening. All the large stores are taken: restaurants, Forever 21, H&M, and EQ3. Taubman might have given up on securing a 3rd anchor and may going with the approach that Lynnhaven did which is subdivide the space earkmarked for an anchor. Who knows, maybe Norfolk may be getting it's first Best Buy and perhaps Crate & Barrel. Those three stores would easily take up the 3rd anchor spot.

As for the store, where would they build it? I just looked at a mall map and the place looks full for the first time since opening. All the large stores are taken: restaurants, Forever 21, H&M, and EQ3. Taubman might have given up on securing a 3rd anchor and may going with the approach that Lynnhaven did which is subdivide the space earkmarked for an anchor. Who knows, maybe Norfolk may be getting it's first Best Buy and perhaps Crate & Barrel. Those three stores would easily take up the 3rd anchor spot.

I would definitely support that idea, but I think it's a long shot. One possibility: doesn't at least one of the restaurants take up two floors AND have an extrance fronting the street? If so, that might be a good spot. On the whole, I think this will be a tremendous addition to downtown, but if it's just enclosed within the mall then it squanders its potential to really affect downtown. If MacArthur was doing poorly then I'd definitely support putting a big academic bookstore in there, but, as it stands, MacArthur is the most successful thing downtown and there are other places within a few blocks where something like this could be a huge draw on its own.

I would definitely support that idea, but I think it's a long shot. One possibility: doesn't at least one of the restaurants take up two floors AND have an extrance fronting the street? If so, that might be a good spot. On the whole, I think this will be a tremendous addition to downtown, but if it's just enclosed within the mall then it squanders its potential to really affect downtown. If MacArthur was doing poorly then I'd definitely support putting a big academic bookstore in there, but, as it stands, MacArthur is the most successful thing downtown and there are other places within a few blocks where something like this could be a huge draw on its own.

Currently the casual restaurants are CPK, Kincaids, Max & Ermas and chilis, all those stores are 1 story, with patio/balcony dining. If they're looking for a true two story set up, more than likely would be the first two levels next to parking garage where the third anchor would sit, but directly next to the parking garage. Last year MacArthur spent a couple hundred thousand purchasing (not just leasing) the skating rink, that would be a large investment to throw down the tubes, it worked so well last year they are in love with it now.

As far as the Starbucks goes, i'm fairly certain we don't have a product exclusivity clause, like no other coffee, since Nordstrom Cafe and Espresso Bars but we're exploring all options. Obviously the situation for us will be held much higher up than my level or mall management's level, but will an impact of potentially a third to half our current sales? Direct competition like that, especially same brand is unheard of in a captive audience environment. And to read it in the Pilot just makes it worse. Fair point to the Pilot being wrong more often than not, but the marketing director quote about the Starbucks doesn't help either. Anyways, definitely a topic of conversation around the mall today within our company.

On another note, EQ3 has done virtually nothing with their store since Jeepers left, i looked in last week, the walls were still Jeepers purple n yellow, just with all the rides stripped out. They are weeks if not months away from an opening. The layout of the store is designed to include the windows on the third level in the store to create room themes, dining rooms, living rooms etc in a 'natural' environment, with natural light, etc. Just an fyi

Any Starbucks in a B&N is not a "full" Starbucks. If that was stated, that is an error. They are licensed, which is similar to the arrangement that Starbucks has with any other shared retail concept (Target, Farm Fresh, etc.) The cafe is actually run by B&N, staffed by B&N employees and only serves Starbucks coffee. They don't serve the same baked goods (those come from Cheesecake Factory). The only "full" or corporate Starbucks locations are the ones where Starbucks is the sole tennant of the store. The one anomoly to that arrangement in this area is the Lynnhaven Mall store near the service desk. It is a corporate store.

I don't know how much that will affect the no-compete clause but I think that this is an easy way for Starbucks to get around that. I think that if the B&N brings in a lot more foot traffic and is located somewhere near the HMS locations, it may actually boost sales. Why would someone wait in a long line at B&N when they could walk over the HMS owned store? That is provided the prices are the same and not higher...

Any Starbucks in a B&N is not a "full" Starbucks.

Yes and No. Most cafes in B&N are run by B&N. But a few B&N's (I know the ones at Santa Monica and Huntington Beach have this) have a Starbucks attached to the store with a connecting door instead of being completely open to the B&N. It may even be completely surrounded by the B&N. This allows the Starbucks to operate hours separate from the B&N. But I agree that this one probably isn't that type of Starbucks but rather the typical B&N Cafe serving Starbucks coffee. Whatever it is, it still serves burnt, stale coffee.

Got unofficial confirmation today about the B&N/Starbucks situation. The B&N is slated to be built on the northwest corner of the mall on the corner of Freemason and Monticello, directly next to the parking garage backing up to the rear of the mall on the first and second floors, two stories and open to the street. Our lease with the mall has a direct competition prevention clause, but only up to 200 feet, which does not apply. Apparently we're looking into our contract with Starbucks corporate, since our company operates roughly 300-500 Starbucks around the globe, a gentlemens' clause where in good business sense it wouldn't be beneficial to license the store. Something like that. Just thought you guys might want to know the location, so this will be the third 'anchor' location...sort of

The B&N is slated to be built on the northwest corner of the mall on the corner of Freemason and Monticello, directly next to the parking garage backing up to the rear of the mall on the first and second floors, two stories and open to the street.

Sounds good!

So will it be configured to allow for another large tennant or two to occupy the remaining portion of the third anchor site? Or will B&N wall off the 1st and 2nd floor openings leaving a portion of the grassy area open?

The mall bought the ice skating rink last year for like 300K or something, and are planning on increasing the scope and size of the event this year, that along with the farmer's market ongoing makes me believe that it would be built exclusively for B&N, leaving them so lee-way if they wanted other events in the 'courtyard' area. There is also more retail space available in MacArthur, and if they needed the room they'd shuffle them again like they did for H&M. There's a space next to Limited Too and Just Casual, the old Timberland store (sells Calendars and games from Waldenbooks for the holidays) Illuminations just closed down, there's empty retail next to Vans, also across from customer service (old April Cotrell) and next to Verizon on the first floor (selling Calendars also). Assuming EQ3 ramps up construction sometime soon that would still leave at least 6 available locations to shuffle if need be. Still, to get a 28K sq foot store 7 years into the mall's life as a partial third anchor is a good deal, even if it's not a full B&N or a best buy.