Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

The Commodore Maury was built as the Southland Hotel. The name was later changed in honor of Commodore Maury. Still later, the name "Madison" was dredged up from somewhere. I would like to see the original name returned to the building. It is being renovated as condos/apartments now.

The Commodore is being renovated into condos to try and capitalize on the condo craze in downtown. The new owners are apparently a bit shady, my dad was handling the engineering on the building. They wanted another story added for a penthouse, and the owners were told due to the age and condition of the building, in order to add another story they'd have to reinforce the foundation and adhere to new building codes, adding another couple million to the cost. Rather than built it the correct way, they went to a shadier engineer who's friends with the building inspectors and it'll be approved no problem. The owners are looking for 450K to $1.5 million per unit, simply outrageous for what the quality and market are currently like.

Construction on B&N will not begin until after January17th, when the skating rink closes.

The B&N will be 20,000 square feet, roughly half or a third the size of a typical B&N. Keep in mind it will academic bookstore themed.

When and where will this be opening?

Rus gave the area. I was tipped off by an article in L.A. Times today talking about expansion plans. The company plans on opening company-owned restaurants in New England and New York over the next year. They've also awarded franchises. One of which is the 10-unit one for South HR and another 3-unit one for Williamsburg/NN. I assume the franchisees have locations in mind or close to leasing and will be opening within the next year. However, I haven't seen a time table.

With Baja Fresh already there. And El Pollo Loco announcing plans. When will Chipotle move into town? They're already up the road in Richmond, Cville, and NoVa as well as in NC. It's only a matter of time before the burrito wars begin in earnest.

Since MacArthur recently got a California Pizza Kitchen, I decided to try it because of the good reviews. Boy, I was not disappointed. I went to the CPK in Chicago and it's amazing! I'm so glad they are in Hampton Roads.

Okinawa typhoon, do you think you'll have an opportunity to visit HR on your school break? I'd love to read your comments after being away so long.

Okinawa typhoon, do you think you'll have an opportunity to visit HR on your school break? I'd love to read your comments after being away so long.

Most likely not. Although my dad is stationed at Fort Lee, we're all meeting up in Michigan for Christmas. You have no idea how much i'd like to see Hampton Roads though. When I do go, i'll be sure to post my thoughts and pictures, because I'm sure I'll want to remember it.

Tried getting into EQ3, but the door was locked from the inside, i snapped this pic through the hinge. If they're opening in two weeks, they've got a long long long way to go. You can see the track lighting they've installed on the roof, it's a little rough pic though. The floor will be unfinished concrete, it's been recently washed.

S7000042.jpg

I had dinner at the new Thai restaurant the other night on Granby. The food was pretty good. My benchmark for comparison when it comes to Thai food is chicken pad thai and theirs was pretty good. The decor is nothing to write home about but its not a bad place for dinner. Prices are ok, maybe just a bit high for what I would expect. There were a good amount of covers that night too which was good to see for business. I haven't eaten at the new Asian grill but plan to try that this weekend. When I walked by after eating at the Thai place it didn't seem as busy.

There seems to be quite a number of restaurants now on Granby. Anyone know exactly how many are there?

Seems to me in October they were working on one next door to Premier (not the one on Granby actually in the building). A Mexican theme resonates in my mind, but I could be confusing it with another spot.

Has it opened, and if so what is its name?

And has anyone eaten at TRILOGY or visited its attractive bar?

Edited by burt

Seems to me in October they were working on one next door to Premier (not the one on Granby actually in the building). A Mexican theme resonates in my mind, but I could be confusing it with another spot.

Has it opened, and if so what is its name?

And has anyone eaten at TRILOGY or visited its attractive bar?

Guadalajara is the Mexican restaurant next door to premiere. Its been open for some time now. Unless you are talking about "Dine" which is a very small restaurant attached to the Granby Theater and operated by the same owner.

Trilogy is awesome. One of the best places for fine dining in the area.

Waldenbooks Will Close at MacArthur Center

It should be no surprise that the Waldenbooks at MacArthur Center will be closing its doors soon. Good riddance. Waldenbooks is the LCD of bookstores. A new Barnes & Noble will be opening in a few months, so this should represent an improvement. My favorite book shop in downtown Norfolk is Prince Books in the Wheat Building. I hope they are doing well these days.

The Virginian Pilot

Seems to be a little short sighted on Waldenbooks part, keep in mind the B&N full store will more than likely not open until November 2007, they'll probably open a satellite in the mall for the school year, but it makes sense i guess for Walden to leave. When i see jim Wofford (mall GM) i'll ask him about this. Also EQ3 was scheduled to open tomorrow, i'll have to check that out for you guys too.

• 2 weeks later...

EQ3 finally opened its doors yesterday. The store looks great, i'll try and remember to bring my digital camera and snap some pics. Come down and take a look when you have nothing to do.

That's great news. MacArthur Center is much better with this place, and will be even better once Barnes & Noble opens its doors.