Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Tax Collector Randolph's office move called off

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/blogs/political-pulse/os-tax-collector-randolphs-office-move-called-off-20140702,0,4678411.post

Glad to see that Scott opted out of the move to Maguire, for whatever reason (hopefully, our numerous pleas made the decision even easier). One of downtown's core reasons for existence is as the governmental hub for the region and we need as many middle-income positions as possible to make it viable as an auto-free choice for residents. Keeping the Tax Collector's office in the center city makes both of those things possible.

Scott is right that the facility doesn't need to be in SunTrust, but there are plenty of alternatives right downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Brash young developer renovating downtown Orlando hotel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-hotel-redevelopment-20140721,0,4279595.story

I never knew anything about the development company behind the Sheraton renovation. They've got three hotels in Orlando and are one of the owners of Mingos, which we've been hearing so much about.

I met the guy before. His family owns hotels so this is a natural fit for him vs restaurants. 

His resume needs some serious work. I never understood people that feel they need to lie to get ahead. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you come from wealth and that's why you are in development. 

^^

Yeah.  He's worth millions.  I guess all that money and he still has educational regrets...oh well...so long as he redevelops it and improves it.

It's good to have yet another player in the hotel business in Orlando that's a potential investor that some of these new proposals can tap into. know what I mean?

I was part of the original staff there when it opened as the Omni in '86. We had a one week orientation period during which they were still finishing the interior. During one of the presentations we were given, they were going over all the engineering features of the building like the smoke evacuation system, etc. They told us that the building had been designed so that it could be increased in height via the addition of more floors if they so chose to in the future.

I've always kinda hoped somebody would do that, but apparently, it's not in the cards.

• 3 weeks later...
Will Florida Get Pushed Out of the New Space Age?

The Atlantic has a disquieting article suggesting that the Space Coast facilities may be obsolete as we move into the nation's new commercial launch era. Space Florida and especially "Senator NASA" Bill Nelson need to get with the program and make sure we don't lose this key driver of the region's economy.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/08/will-florida-get-pushed-out-of-the-new-space-age/375703/

• 3 weeks later...

"We've got one offering downtown, and that's bars," Gray said. "We've got to somehow facilitate a better mix of bars, restaurants and retail, especially in light of the performing-arts center opening soon. We need to capture that demographic downtown, and those people aren't going into the bars." From Commissioner Gray's mouth to Buddy's ears!

I promised a recap on proposals for the retail conundrum earlier, and I've been tardy in posting it because there are a couple of disconnects I'm trying to figure out:

(1) We've been told there's no need for new non-residential high-rises downtown because there's not enough demand. However, we're told retail isn't in the cards because "the rent's too damn high." What's wrong with this picture?

(2) While Project DTO has posted a lot of blue-sky ideas for retail, there's been almost no mention in the items I've seen leaked about the basic nuts and bolts of how retail normally gets built. I've asked a couple of folks working on it why this is and we're told that's best left to the bureaucrats. The whole problem, however, is that the bureaucrats have been ignoring the issue at least since Publix got up and running (especially at DDB, where the only productive sound ever heard is crickets.)

Anyway, stay tuned, just in case you were wondering where the update went.

"We've got one offering downtown, and that's bars," Gray said. "We've got to somehow facilitate a better mix of bars, restaurants and retail, especially in light of the performing-arts center opening soon. We need to capture that demographic downtown, and those people aren't going into the bars." From Commissioner Gray's mouth to Buddy's ears!

I promised a recap on proposals for the retail conundrum earlier, and I've been tardy in posting it because there are a couple of disconnects I'm trying to figure out:

(1) We've been told there's no need for new non-residential high-rises downtown because there's not enough demand. However, we're told retail isn't in the cards because "the rent's too damn high." What's wrong with this picture?

(2) While Project DTO has posted a lot of blue-sky ideas for retail, there's been almost no mention in the items I've seen leaked about the basic nuts and bolts of how retail normally gets built. I've asked a couple of folks working on it why this is and we're told that's best left to the bureaucrats. The whole problem, however, is that the bureaucrats have been ignoring the issue at least since Publix got up and running (especially at DDB, where the only productive sound ever heard is crickets.)

Anyway, stay tuned, just in case you were wondering where the update went.

There is no need for office right now because of a nation wide trend of doing more with less. Retail is a separate issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

First Look: Orlando Science Center reveals grand plan for New KidsTown

Orlando Science Center is tapping into the early childhood segment with this (interior) expansion, which includes added floor space in their facility. Sounds like part of their larger plan (from the Orange County Commission ask) to develop a children's museum and update their exhibitions. The science center already has a very successful pre-k program, and this will be a great addition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/09/first-look-orlando-science-center-reveals-grand.html?page=all

• Like 2

Downtown Orlando gains residents but loses shops

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1504/article/p2p-81377463/

It's worse than we imagined - we've actually LOST retail since 2008 rather than being stuck on empty. And our powers that be seem not to care. And that wonderful chestnut rears its ugly head again - we should just wait for more people to move downtown (what was that again about downtown Orlando being the fastest-growing downtown in the state?) At least now we know who is providing the inspiration for the esteemed Mr. Chatmon over at DDB - it's "Waiting For Godot" and Thomas Beckett!

"Thomas Chatmon, executive director of Orlando's Downtown Development Board, said tracking the retail market is difficult with the pace of businesses opening, closing and moving. "I think you've seen some retail that has gotten redeveloped for mixed use," Chatmon said. "And we've lost some retail that got repurposed."

Thanks, Thomas, how about proposing a solution to the number one problem facing downtown? *crickets* Seldom in the annals of public administration has anyone been paid so much to do so little.

"(D)owntown developer Craig Ustler said he has seen retail emerge in Orlando's urban core during the past decade. He cited the opening of Publix near Thornton Park (SIX years ago!) and Fresh Market and other shops open at the new Mills Park center, which is northeast of downtown."

Excuse me, Craig, but Mills50 isn't downtown. If I'm going to need a car to drive there, why should I pay a premium to live downtown as noted by residents in the article who are moving out? Interesting how Craig chooses to tell us that it's much worse in the 'burbs, where they have at least SOME retail.

• Like 2

^^

Yeah, this was a weird article.  I thought the same thing about Mills50 or Mills Park, which is even farther north than 50.  But, if FH South is considered downtown for all intents and purposes, then a few block jaunt east on Virginia gets you to Mills Park quickly.

IMO, in the same vein that they built SODO with the SuperTarget literally a block off of Orange so that no-one even knew that it was there for the longest time, they can build a similar project on the parcel north of Amelia and west of Orange.

• Like 1

I like the design of Mills Park because there is access behind it and on Virginia; and you can get to Orange Ave very quickly from there.  It's actually closer to downtown than FH South's The Ivy.  The trail also leads directly to it.  Fresh Market is the main reason. But the apartment building is cool.  it has a visible gym on the second floor facing 17/92, which looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Maitland Art Center named a National Historic Landmark

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1233/article/p2p-81569973/

I'm very pleased to see this - the Maitland Art Center is indeed a jewel featuring incredibly unique architecture. Back in the Dark Ages as a 10th grader at Evans, our Optimist service club spent a few Saturdays cleaning around the buildings when the facility was at its lowest ebb before the painstaking renovations began. I'm proud to have a little sweat equity involved!

I guess we should be thankful it's in Maitland or else Buddy would be trying to build another venue on top of it! Oops, please excuse the snark - I'm being nice to hizzoner for a bit since he actually attended the official announcement regarding the Amtrak renovations. Perhaps there is hope at long last.

http://artandhistory.org/maitland-art-center/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Maitland Art Center named a National Historic Landmark

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1233/article/p2p-81569973/

I'm very pleased to see this - the Maitland Art Center is indeed a jewel featuring incredibly unique architecture. Back in the Dark Ages as a 10th grader at Evans, our Optimist service club spent a few Saturdays cleaning around the buildings when the facility was at its lowest ebb before the painstaking renovations began. I'm proud to have a little sweat equity involved!

I guess we should be thankful it's in Maitland or else Buddy would be trying to build another venue on top of it! Oops, please excuse the snark - I'm being nice to hizzoner for a bit since he actually attended the official announcement regarding the Amtrak renovations. Perhaps there is hope at long last.

http://artandhistory.org/maitland-art-center/

A beautiful space hosting an organization carrying on a great legacy.  Hopefully this helps raise the prominence of Maitland locally and nationally. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed relatively little interest in Port Canaveral and KSC in here, which is odd given what a huge economic engine it is for the region. Not to mention - how many cities in the world have their own Spaceport? I don't know if it's just because it's over the line in Brevard, which is pretty meaningless given we're about as close to our port as LA or Houston, certainly if you take traffic into consideration.

You are quite correct about the growth at Port Canaveral - it's amazing what's going on over there these days. Kudos to those folks for stepping up to replace jobs while NASA is working out its plans.

Urban doesn't necessarily equal 'urbanism' but that seems to be a common interest and for a lot of us the only interest.

That said, it it interests you, keep it coming. I personally don't read the attractions thread for the same reason but its great that we have such a consistently updated thread there.