Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Williamsburg Is the Exception as Poor Neighborhoods Grow

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-04/williamsburg-is-the-exception-as-poor-neighborhoods-grow.html

In this Bloomberg article which notes that urban revival mostly doesn't work, guess who makes it in as an exception? The City Beautiful, of course!

"With the exception of OrlandoFlorida, home to Disney World, and Virginia Beach, a beach-resort city and mecca for retirees, all major U.S. urban areas have suffered a rise in concentrated pockets of extreme poverty since 1970."

• Like 1

"The report examined Census data between 1970 and 2010 for the 51 largest U.S. metropolitan areas, focusing on neighborhoods within 10 miles of the center of the central business district. High poverty was defined as a rate greater than 30 percent, double the national average."

And Orlando will remain the exception if you think about what is happening right now -- within a 10 mile radius of the CBD the major areas of poverty are still Parramore and point west such as as Rio Grande.  With the "transformation" of Parramore into a sports / entertainment district and the Creative Village, it's only a matter of time before even these areas of poverty are pushed further out into other parts of the metro area such as Pine Hills or Osceola County.  All other neighborhoods within a 10 mile radius of downtown are already highly desirable (Thornton Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Uptown, Delaney Park, Conway, etc.).  I think it's important to stress that Orlando is not the exception to poverty stricken areas, but rather the exception is that they are not within minutes of the city core en masse (like NYC -- I think this is the first time I've ever seen a comparison drawn between NYC and Orlando).  

Ultimately, this is good for the long-term desirability and growth potential of downtown Orlando. 

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

Would-be Eatonville developer Elliot Kahana indicted on embezzling charge

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1229/article/p2p-82215427/

Orlando falls for another one - when will we ever learn? Here's a clue, folks - if it's so blingy even Vegas would turn its head, it ain't happening in Orlando, and certainly not anywhere north of the Conroy Road exit.

Orlando tech scene faces uphill battle in investment game

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1504/article/p2p-82215394/

"People obsessed in Silicon Valley deals say that will never happen in Orlando and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy," Kupetz said. "Companies feel forced to move west. The key to Orlando success has to be the marriage of Central Florida money with Central Florida companies early on."

Not only is this true of making the start-ups successful here, once they are they're more likely to put down roots in the community and grow here. They're also more likely to make significant contributions to local arts and social service organizations, and a few may even feel the need to eventually erect an architecturally significant building or renovate one of our historic downtown buildings. It's win-win all the way around and it's where most of our ED bucks should be channelled, not to here today, gone tomorrow firms that could care less about Orlando.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando tech jobs highlighted in state job growth report

"Friday’s release of state employment numbers showed that the Orlando area has added more jobs in the past 12 months – 46,000 – than other Florida metros.."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-orlando-tech-jobs-highlighted-in-state-job-growth-report-20141219-post.html

"The state said that in November 2014, the Orlando metro area led the metro areas in job gains over the year in leisure and hospitality with 12,800 new jobs, professional and business services with 11,600 new jobs, trade, transportation, and utilities with 11,000 new jobs, and construction with 4,600 new jobs."

It's encouraging to see professional and business services job creation nearly at pace with tourism (leisure and hospitality).

Our friend, Matt Broffman, aka Bungalower, is now the Director of Innovation - a new position - with the City. Congratulations to Matt and the City on this.

Good luck to the qualified folks who are taking the reigns on Bungalower. Big shoes to fill.

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1229/article/p2p-82347099/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gotta say that that article on the skyline needing a signature item just depressed the hell out of me. The news on the hazard to flight paths isn't new but to see a city official quoted as there probably won't be anything built taller than Suntrust just feels so deflating killing any hopes I had however unrealistic. I figured that eventually demand would get us something at least 450'. I wonder if Suntrust arrived at 441' as a design decision or if they were told at the time that was the safe limit.

Gotta say that that article on the skyline needing a signature item just depressed the hell out of me. The news on the hazard to flight paths isn't new but to see a city official quoted as there probably won't be anything built taller than Suntrust just feels so deflating killing any hopes I had however unrealistic. I figured that eventually demand would get us something at least 450'. I wonder if Suntrust arrived at 441' as a design decision or if they were told at the time that was the safe limit.

I wonder if something in Creative Village or somewhere else West of I-4 couldn't be taller. I assume that the flight path is higher the further away from the airport a person goes...

I felt similarly, as if the popular demand for something tall and interesting had somehow waned. Project DTO pointed out several areas of lack in Orlando (downtown but also regionally). Yet, I also thought of iconic "architecture" or other big draws like the highly recognized culinary and history/preservation scene in Charleston, and the the riverwalk in San Antonio (which also has a foodie and history pull). Both these cities lack recognizable sky lines but attract people for other unique regional specialties. If Orlando will not (cannot) have the tallest, most attractive buildings, then hopefully we can continue to attract visitors, businesses, and new residents through developing kickass cultural amenities unlike other cities.  The growth in the food and tech scene speak to the direction the city is heading, no?

• Like 1

^^

There's no office demand now.  CNL may build CNL III b/c of the Red Lobster lease and resulting vacancy rates.

Verizon, Darden, and Adventist Health (to name a few) could've moved downtown and that would have driven huge demand for new office space.  Too many companies prefer suburban office developments over downtown space--- rent has much to do with it as well.

As far as residential high rise goes, Novarre and perhaps Citi Tower (if and when built) are the only high rise among a plethora of low rise residential developments. GDC ala NORA really took ten steps back with the downscaling of the former Verde twins as well.

But, to take this full circle, I think the most important thing here is for these vacant lots in and around downtown to get filled in, and fast.  And this is currently happening.

Suntrust is Orlando's signature skyscraper with its 4 pyramids on top.  It is afterall an SOM building.  It hearkens to elements of a castle ala The Magic Kingdom, which is signature for the region.

I'm betting that Novarre looks to add a second tower with the success of its first.

I felt similarly, as if the popular demand for something tall and interesting had somehow waned. Project DTO pointed out several areas of lack in Orlando (downtown but also regionally). Yet, I also thought of iconic "architecture" or other big draws like the highly recognized culinary and history/preservation scene in Charleston, and the the riverwalk in San Antonio (which also has a foodie and history pull). Both these cities lack recognizable sky lines but attract people for other unique regional specialties. If Orlando will not (cannot) have the tallest, most attractive buildings, then hopefully we can continue to attract visitors, businesses, and new residents through developing kickass cultural amenities unlike other cities.  The growth in the food and tech scene speak to the direction the city is heading, no?

I think it's all interconnected. While many companies prefer to set up shop in suburban office parks, there comes a point to where they, too, will consider downtown as a better fit because of kick ass cultural amenities, a good food scene, access to the a growing tech market, and transportation options like SunRail that make it easier for their employees to get to work.

Not a headline, per se, but came across this interesting commentary on our fair city at http://www.newgeography.com/content/004804-central-florida-stepping-into-deep-density

While clearly negative in tone, I do think the author makes some good points to consider - particularly about the vacancy rate for office space.  I think his assetions regarding national chains, etc., is more of a national trend than just a problem of Orlando's, which is what he seems to be implying.