Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Not a headline, per se, but came across this interesting commentary on our fair city at http://www.newgeography.com/content/004804-central-florida-stepping-into-deep-density

While clearly negative in tone, I do think the author makes some good points to consider - particularly about the vacancy rate for office space.  I think his assetions regarding national chains, etc., is more of a national trend than just a problem of Orlando's, which is what he seems to be implying. 

Some good points, if a bit pretentious. Notice in the bio the author "resides in Winter Park", so it's not too surprising he frowns on the developing downtown scene.  Although, from reading the article you'd think Mills and Nebraska Lumber got booted off ther property kicking and screaming by the devils at Fresh Market, not that they sold the property at the hieght of the market 8 years before the development was ever built...To suggest the creatives and entrepreneurs are flocking to rural FL counties and that development isn't driving businesses into the city is a bit odd, considering the growth of tech jobs downtown, healthcare jobs in the FL Hospital Village, and movement of Red Lobster Corporate to the CBD.

You're right, not only does his article not propose anything, it is no different than what is happening in every mid-to-major city across the entire country.  Had these project not been built, one could easily write an article saying Orlando was behind the times and "missed the bubble" and point a finger at someone else.

It seems to play to the "no density" audience that was popular in winter park a few months ago.  I don't see many of those signs at all anymore.

Keep winter park, "winter park" is a current slogan I've recently seen.  Not sure what to think of that one yet.

personal rant: guess what, winter park.  instead of getting a mixed use project on 17-92 with residential and retail; now winter park is a getting a one story strip mall with out residential by the same developer.  will it be nice?  sure. and will of course follow city planning and code.  but not nearly the original dollar investment or scale.

That was a rambling mess of an article. Can't believe he is a professor. Sounds like a guy who doesn't want anything in built on 17-92 like Maitland is proposing. Using a 4 story apartment complex in the suburbs as an example of density is just a complete joke. I also had to laugh at his erroneous assertion that name brand apparel shops have opened all over. If that was true this forum would have a lot less beotching about getting national apparel outlets.

On top of that I 100% disagree with this line: "the triple-net lease is only affordable to big national brands"

There are certainly plenty of brokers who choose to attempt only national chains so the default risk is lower but as someone about sign lease #3 in Orlando in the last 2 years I think his generalization here is completely off base. It isn't the rental costs scaring away local investors, it is lack of access (although I don't think Orlando is struggling to get local shops to open up overall).

• Like 2

A little birdie told me that Fresh Market is coming to the Waterford Lakes area.

I was in another Fresh Market store this weekend and was told by a few employees that "we couldn't say, but *WINK* *WINK* you know that's where we'll expand next, that is, IF we expand in Orlando."  A fact that has already been announced.

As an East Orange Co. resident, this obviously isn't URBAN, but I'm loving this news.  I hope it's not up by UCF and more down towards the people.

^^

maybe its going in that new multi-use building at Univ & Alafaya.

That wouldn't have the space for it or configuration for it. I'd imagine its going in that new plaza, but Waterford Towers across from the Simon Town Center could really use it bad. They need some good tenants, such a beautiful plaza is really falling apart and sitting vacant for so long.

The entire West side of the road (it's called Waterford Towers?) is an embarrassment. 

Waterford Lakes is a busy and active complex.  The had a chance across the street to IMPROVE on the concept.  The biggest fault of WL is that so little of it is walkable.  It's big, it's active, it's got some solid retail... but you have to get in your car to shop at multiple stores.  As a sidebar, as a resident on the East side of town, I think they should close the ring road (red) that runs from Target to Best Buy and put a little trolley or train in.  Then put another one (green) in the median from the Barnes & Noble to the Regal.  (see attached)

But across the street whoever built that had a fresh start and a chance to learn from the 1st group.  NOPE.  They made it less walkable and couldn't pull in good shops other than the Post Office, Kohl's, and Home Depot.  It sits about 50% empty at any given time. 

Kiki's pulls in people for about 5 hours a day. 

Chipotle is huge with the college crowd.

BWW pulls in big crowds on game days, but is flat empty the rest of the time.

Rice & Beans was doing so well that they expanded, but now it looks empty all the time, so they either over-expanded or lost touch.

On most days you can go to the Staples, Michaels, or Sports Authority and have the entire store to yourself.

You can usually tell the success of a plaza by the state of their parking lot.  You know this one isn't making any money because that parking lot is like an obstacle course.

post-21148-0-84792300-1423745779_thumb.j

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

The entire West side of the road (it's called Waterford Towers?) is an embarrassment. 

Waterford Lakes is a busy and active complex.  The had a chance across the street to IMPROVE on the concept.  The biggest fault of WL is that so little of it is walkable.  It's big, it's active, it's got some solid retail... but you have to get in your car to shop at multiple stores.  As a sidebar, as a resident on the East side of town, I think they should close the ring road (red) that runs from Target to Best Buy and put a little trolley or train in.  Then put another one (green) in the median from the Barnes & Noble to the Regal.  (see attached)

But across the street whoever built that had a fresh start and a chance to learn from the 1st group.  NOPE.  They made it less walkable and couldn't pull in good shops other than the Post Office, Kohl's, and Home Depot.  It sits about 50% empty at any given time. 

Kiki's pulls in people for about 5 hours a day. 

Chipotle is huge with the college crowd.

BWW pulls in big crowds on game days, but is flat empty the rest of the time.

Rice & Beans was doing so well that they expanded, but now it looks empty all the time, so they either over-expanded or lost touch.

On most days you can go to the Staples, Michaels, or Sports Authority and have the entire store to yourself.

You can usually tell the success of a plaza by the state of their parking lot.  You know this one isn't making any money because that parking lot is like an obstacle course.

The biggest issue with that whole plaza is it is bank owned (maybe not anymore but it was a year or so ago). The bank will not accept reasonable market rental rates and stands firm on their crazy rental rates because they don't care. They aren't in the retail business so to them valuing the rental rate lower and having it full is worse than being pretty dead and charging stupid rates. Sad how many plazas are like this. I would think by now banks would have been able to sell many of these plazas off after the crash.

I drove through there late yesterday afternoon just to see what was going on back there.  My wife was spotting me for massive potholes as we wandered around the whole West complex.

In the SE there is a Credit Union, a couple mattress shops (isn't Prez weekend a massive mattress weekend???), a dentist, and a Smashburger.  We saw like 4 cars in this entire area.  There were some employee cars behind the buildings, but almost no one out front.  DEAD

Home Depot, Michael's, and Kohl's seemed to have a decent crowd.  It wasn't Saturday lunchtime busy, but busy enough.  NICE

There is a tiny Appliance Direct and a shoe store.  DEAD

The next out-building was Chipotle, Jimmy John's and some other stores.  Every store except Jimmy John's and Chipotle was DEAD.  They were both SLAMMING BUSY.

Keke's was closed, as it was past brunch.  BWW and Rice & Beans were light, but ok.  The rest of that building looked like it was a from a post-apocalyptic movie.  Even the Fuji Sushi looked empty.  DEADER THAN DEAD.

We went back to what can only be described as the Rich Mommy's Pretend Job section.  These stores are local and seem to be someone's hobby more than an active store.  None of them seemed to be open, but they are odd little shops that don't really seem to fit in.  More like flea market booths on steroids than viable shops.

A cigar shop, Plato's closet, Sports Authority... all DEAD.  Staples has officially closed up shop. This was new, but expected.  DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD

The Post Office isn't a big draw on Sunday.  There are some dead shops in this building, too.  Nothing worth noting.  DEAD

The next outbuilding had a Panda Express, which had a whopping ZERO customers.  It had a Men's Wearhouse which was DEAD  It might have some offices up on the second level, we couldn't really tell if they were occupied or not.

The last building had the saddest cell phone store ever in it.  There is a AAA store, a coffee place, and a nail salon.  There seemed to be offices up on the second level here, too.  DEAD.

It was so sad.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

Yeah Gamers Inc is cool. I really wish there was a place like that closer to the core, or just a few more in the metro area. I am really surprised given the sheer number of comic book stores in the area that we don't have more privately owned videogame stores. Orlando is loaded with gamers. Instead there is a gamestop on every freaking corner.