Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

While ducking the shrapnel in the above exchange, I thought I'd note that the Wall Street Journal (yes, NYC media) applauds the efforts of Orlando Shakes on their production of Nicholas Nickleby. Not only is our little burg raising money, we seem to have some talent, too!

Darkly Dickensian Drama

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304104504579374914118941786?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304104504579374914118941786.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, they've lost their minds again over on S. Rosalind, twice in one news cycle! One bit of despairing news comes from the usual suspects,  the other from someone I've always regarded as one of the good guys.

First up, term-limited Commissioner Fred Brummer wants to make all county races non-partisan and to make it even harder for us pesky citizens to place petitions on the ballot. Of course, he wants to do this on a mail-in ballot in May, which is almost guaranteed to skew responses to older (and, dare we say it, Republican?) voters.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/blogs/political-pulse/os-brummer-overhaul-orange-charter-offices-petition-process-20140224,0,3119812.post

The fig leaf that we call "non-partisan" races comes about only because the GOP is rapidly discovering that in a Democratic county it's going to be difficult for Republicans to win (losing the last fiefdom of the bubba vote, the Sheriff's race, twice in a row, caused flares to be sent aloft at GOP HQ on 436). Folks, I've always believed voters deserve as much information as possible (ever try to figure out which judges to vote for when they aren't allowed to give ANY information about their thinking?) Taking the "D" or the "R" off the ballot removes important information about how a candidate thinks. Back in the olden days, when it was Democrats who couldn't get elected in an OC that voted for Barry Goldwater, I fought this idea also.

If we have policies the majority of people believe in, we'll be fine. We should hold our banners high so people know where we're coming from. As to the nonsense about raising required percentages on citizen petitions, stop whining because your party handled the sick-leave issue abominably and tried to eliminate any scintilla of democracy and got caught in the process. If you can't win on the merits, maybe it's time to get back in touch with the voters.

As to the nonsense about non-partisan races being a sop to the Hispanic community, Anthony Suarez is the last person to go to for information. Anthony sold his soul to the GOP years ago during a brief stay in the Legislature, and hasn't been able to be elected dog catcher since. Hey, Anthony, think most Hispanics in OC are NPA's? Then why is it that even the national media figured out (Chuck Todd, NBC, just to name one) that the big change in OC's switch from Republican to Democratic largely came about in the last decade or so because of the huge influx of Puerto Rican voters (on behalf of local Democrats across the county, we love you each and every one!)

Further, if you want to look at who bent over backward NOT to redistrict fairly so OC would have at least one predominantly Hispanic district on the commission, it was the Republicans who controlled the process. The Democrats on the redistricting committees did everything they could to fight such unfortunate gerrymandering. Facts are an amazing little thing.

But, sadly, even we Democrats get the raspberry today.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-jacobs-randolph-office-standoff-20140224,0,3011014.story

I have long supported Scott Randolph both financially and on campaigns.  He's accessible and has always looked out for the best interest of everyday folks in the Orlando area. 

However, his plan to abandon the Tax Collector's offices in SunTrust Center for offices near Fashion Square is wrong-headed. I agree completely that it's absurd for county offices to be located in Class A office space. However, if we want to keep downtown from being nothing but an urban theme park (despite Buddy's best efforts), one doesn't do it by moving middle-class administrative jobs out of downtown. Workers who want to live downtown need jobs. If they can live downtown and not be forced to pay the expense of an automobile to commute, they're more likely to stay downtown.

Government is one of the core purposes of downtown. This community has taken so many activities that build strong downtowns (major employers, colleges, convention centers, etc.) and sent them to the 'burbs over the years that we can't afford to lose what we have left.

See what Teresa is proposing (although that hardly makes me hopeful). If that doesn't pan out, consider building something on the Parramore side adjoining the state and federal government facilities already there. Unless Buddy's speculator friends run up the prices agian, it should be possible to build something we can be proud of economically.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

^^

yeah, it is.  cruise ships aside, they recently opened up that fuel yard.  now, they are trying to beef up container traffic.  they are really pumping money into it in so many different ways. 

This latest development with cruise traffic is huge. up until the end of 2012 the last time they added a terminal was in 1996 or so with the Disney Cruise Line.  So, 16 years later, they open Terminal 6 (I think) near Carnival.  Then, a year after it opens, they approve money for yet another terminal (Terminal 1) which is u/c as we speak to open this November for RCI.  DCL then brings a 3rd ship to the port as well.  Parking garages are built at all terminals; roadway networks are refined.  The place is so much more advanced than it was simply 5 years ago just with infrastructure alone.

Want to park downtown? Put on some comfy shoes — you'll be walking

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-downtown-orlando-no-more-parking-20140308,0,850857.story?page=2

I have often been critical of Buddy Dyer and his administration for shortcomings downtown, but this story reflects an area where they "get it" and have my heartiest congratulations and thanks.

When the redevelopment of downtown began in earnest in the early 1980's under Mayor Bill, one of his huge blind spots was the fact that if you have ample parking, transit will never grow. Former county commission chairman Lou Treadway pleaded, cajoled and blustered with Mayor Bill to recognize this basic fact (in a complete reversal of the normal attitudes between City Hall and S. Rosalind), to no avail.

Finally, we are achieving the goal of a transit-oriented downtown. As Commissioner Patty notes, however, none of this works unless we have easy, convenient, and most importantly frequent bus, train or light-rail service to replace the acres of parking.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-downtown-orlando-no-more-parking-20140308,0,850857.story?page=2

I have often been critical of Buddy Dyer and his administration for shortcomings downtown, but this story reflects an area where they "get it" and have my heartiest congratulations and thanks.

When the redevelopment of downtown began in earnest in the early 1980's under Mayor Bill, one of his huge blind spots was the fact that if you have ample parking, transit will never grow. Former county commission chairman Lou Treadway pleaded, cajoled and blustered wit Mayor Bill to recognize this basic fact (in a complete reversal of the normal attitudes between City Hall and S. Rosalind), to no avail.

Finally, we are achieving the goal of a transit-oriented downtown. As Commissioner Patty notes, however, none of this works unless we have easy, convenient, and most importantly frequent bus, train or light-rail service to replace the acres of parking.

Imagine events taking place in both theaters at the DPAC and something going on at the Amway! The foot traffic will be tremendous.

And then add in the soccer stadium!  In fact, I hope city leaders intentionally schedule events simultaneously throughout the inaugural year when all these venues are up and running.   It would no doubt transform the perception of downtown; the energy would be dynamic.

I often think about the parking woes in Miami Beach whenever someone suggests that downtown Orlando needs more parking, not less.  Miami Beach is the most parking-deprived city in all of Florida, if not the entire South.  It is also the most urban, pedestrian-friendly, and boasts an extremely healthy retail scene (for visitors and residents of the city).  There are some geographic factors that help Miami Beach (land constraints) but I do feel as though this explanation is too often used to explain why some cities are more urban than others, without taking into account the role that civic leaders and sound development ordinances play in city creation.  

• Like 2

People are going to complain initially, but it will be a good thing. In fact, I think you can already see the impact of this type of planning at the Amway. People are walking there from other garages. Gives the whole area a great vibe, and encourages people to stop at the restaurants and bars along Church Street. Way more fun that going to to the old Amway.

When the redevelopment of downtown began in earnest in the early 1980's under Mayor Bill, one of his huge blind spots was the fact that if you have ample parking, transit will never grow. Former county commission chairman Lou Treadway pleaded, cajoled and blustered with Mayor Bill to recognize this basic fact (in a complete reversal of the normal attitudes between City Hall and S. Rosalind), to no avail.

I thought this story was pretty lame. However, we do need to focus on the loose ends. I know the City, Lynx and others are working hard, but that Lymmo line needs to be up and running when SunRail opens. 

And it needs to go to Delaney Park. For selfish reasons. 

• Like 1

^^ There is a pay route that goes right down Delaney Av (#3). But the problem is like other routes you get once an hour to catch it. Adding more buses is an expensive loose end fix, but I think at least an every half hour bus time is needed to make the transit system a real alternative. Seattle runs every 15 minutes M-F for example.

Port Canaveral- This is from mid-February:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2014/02/ceo-of-port-canaveral-has-a-big-idea.html

They want land from KSC & USAF to build a rail link to the mainland.

This was a follow up story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/02/how-port-canaveral-plans-to-join.html

Ultiamtely, this may be complimentary to the story about members of both GOAA and PC meeting on future visionary plans to connect the port and OIA together.

Edited by jrs2

Free Lake Eola yoga class draws an eclectic crowd

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-lake-eola-yoga-sunday-20140323,0,7318196.story

I've been watching this grow over the past few weeks as I head back from church and doing other things, and it's one of those things that make the park so awesome. Other spontaneous groups that have used the park include a drum circle which was going on Wednesday nights for a while (I still miss it) and a Falun Gong group which I still see intermittently. I also like that Eola Charter School and I think St. James as well as some other schools bring their kids over for PE and other activities during the week. 

I still wish the city would program use of the bandshell more regularly, even if it would be just local school bands or whatever to keep the costs minimal. FunEola screening of old movies in the summer is also a great way to keep the community involved in the park. The more folks in the park at various hours also helps keep it safe for everyone. 

I'm not sure where we are with sidewalk musicians and buskers - I'm hopeful the city managed to finally do away with the silly ordinance prohibiting them or are just ignoring it. Those folks provide a lot of local color to the park and I never found them to be aggressive about soliciting donations or anything other than welcoming anyone to drop a dollar or two in their cases.

Of course, the Farmer's Market is getting better and better as the weeks go by. One fine day they may even eclipse the selection over in Winter Park. Mayor Buddy and company are to be commended for letting a "thousand flowers bloom" in terms of park activities - I look forward to more.

Dyer Names Leaders to Downtown Orlando Task Force

Well, the good news is there are some heavy hitters on this who have the ability to get things done if they so choose. I am less thrilled that they didn't think outside the box and bring in some folks from Unicorp, Simon or such who have actual retail chops. I also would like to have seen more names from those who actually live in the core rather than most of the representation coming from the bar crowd. Nevertheless, any movement to start thinking about what happens once we're beyond the venues construction phase is a plus.

Also, props to Matt and The Bungalower for picking up on this - there was very little coverage from OBJ or the Sentinel other than incidental mentions in some other stories.

Dyer Names Leaders to Downtown Orlando Task Force

Well, the good news is there are some heavy hitters on this who have the ability to get things done if they so choose. I am less thrilled that they didn't think outside the box and bring in some folks from Unicorp, Simon or such who have actual retail chops. I also would like to have seen more names from those who actually live in the core rather than most of the representation coming from the bar crowd. Nevertheless, any movement to start thinking about what happens once we're beyond the venues construction phase is a plus.

Also, props to Matt and The Bungalower for picking up on this - there was very little coverage from OBJ or the Sentinel other than incidental mentions in some other stories.

I thought it was strange that they did not include more developers and owners. Steve Garrity, Paul Ellis and Craig Ustler are on the list, but that is not enough. They should have included Lincoln Property Company and some residential managers. They are on the front line dealing with residents. The Eola Heights President is a good addition but there is no representation from the renters or condo owners. 

Unicorp is doing some serious infill right now and doing it very successfully. 

Edited by jack
  • Like 1

I thought it was strange that they did not include more developers and owners. Steve Garrity, Paul Ellis and Craig Ustler are on the list, but that is not enough. They should have included Lincoln Property Company and some residential managers. They are on the front line dealing with residents. The Eola Heights President is a good addition but there is no representation from the renters or condo owners. 

Unicorp is doing some serious infill right now and doing it very successfully. 

Seriously, I really do not expect anything come out from this....a panel of a bunch of people that probably will not meet each other ever.....

You know, I was thinking about big cities and Orlando metro.  Sunrail Phase I begins service in 3 weeks.  That's a huge milestone.  All Aboard Florida begins service within 2 years to OIA- that's another huge milestone.  Also, the Maglev et al proposal(s) to link OIA to the OCCC would be the next huge milestone.  OIA's South Terminal expansion is also huge.  This is all transportation-related though.  

I just wish more companies would come downtown instead of the suburban office parks.  Downtown is still very underdeveloped.  The MLS stadium, renovation of the Citrus Bowl, and planned Magic entertainment complex are all huge projects.

I said it back during the boom, that if Tradition Towers could get built- at the least- that would get downtown over the desnity hump and provide a fantastic density to height link to Eola South.  This was after we realized that Kuhn would not be continuing his visionary developments in Orlando for a multitude of reasons.

Well, it didn't happen- instead, we got Sunrail.  And hopefully Sunrail will be a catalyst for future dense growth.

But to keep things in perspective, the past decade has seen the introduction of high end and globally known retail, and high end hotels to the metro.

Downtown still has a demand for restaurants though and residential.  Residential is huge.  For years, the one thing that kept Chicago as one of this country's great cities was the demand for downtown living.  This put it and Manhattan in a league of their own compared to other major US cities.  I believe that will continue to be the formula.

So, even though not much in the way of new office space is planned or u/c, I believe that NORA and Crescent Central Sta will have a huge impact, as will The Sevens and the project slated to go near Star Tower.

One last thing:  If UCF does decide to expand its operations directly into downtown, that will add an educational presence which at present is minimal- but which downtown really does need.

• Like 1

You know, I was thinking about big cities and Orlando metro.  Sunrail Phase I begins service in 3 weeks.  That's a huge milestone.  All Aboard Florida begins service within 2 years to OIA- that's another huge milestone.  Also, the Maglev et al proposal(s) to link OIA to the OCCC would be the next huge milestone.  OIA's South Terminal expansion is also huge.  This is all transportation-related though.  

I just wish more companies would come downtown instead of the suburban office parks.  Downtown is still very underdeveloped.  The MLS stadium, renovation of the Citrus Bowl, and planned Magic entertainment complex are all huge projects.

I said it back during the boom, that if Tradition Towers could get built- at the least- that would get downtown over the desnity hump and provide a fantastic density to height link to Eola South.  This was after we realized that Kuhn would not be continuing his visionary developments in Orlando for a multitude of reasons.

Well, it didn't happen- instead, we got Sunrail.  And hopefully Sunrail will be a catalyst for future dense growth.

But to keep things in perspective, the past decade has seen the introduction of high end and globally known retail, and high end hotels to the metro.

Downtown still has a demand for restaurants though and residential.  Residential is huge.  For years, the one thing that kept Chicago as one of this country's great cities was the demand for downtown living.  This put it and Manhattan in a league of their own compared to other major US cities.  I believe that will continue to be the formula.

So, even though not much in the way of new office space is planned or u/c, I believe that NORA and Crescent Central Sta will have a huge impact, as will The Sevens and the project slated to go near Star Tower.

One last thing:  If UCF does decide to expand its operations directly into downtown, that will add an educational presence which at present is minimal- but which downtown really does need.

I beleive Sun Rail will be a catalyst for new office activity in the downtown core (whether through the leasing of existing space or construction of new space). Unlike the suburban office parks - notably in Lake Mary/Heathrow and Maitland - downtown will have a direct connection to a mass transit rail line. That's a huge commodity and incentive for a company to locate downtown

• 1 month later...