Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Medical City, Creative Village help get Orlando ‘turnaround town’ tag

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/11/medical-city-creative-village-help.html

With all due respect to Ustler, I disagree that the Creative Village (concept) is playing any such role.  The Medical City - and the stalled development around it - is actually happening.  Hospitals, schools, labs, infrastructure...The "Creative Village" may mean more for the city since it's actually in the urban core and the Medical City is just furthering our sprawl, but I have yet to see any real evidence that this land isn't just going to sit empty for the next decade or more.  I would argue that Florida Hospital's Health Village concept at the FHO campus is more likely to bring in the tech/creative class to the city at this point - an area with existing lab space, infrastructure (even commuter rail!), a large hospital where thousands of employees descend each day, and the deep pockets of Adventist Health backing further development.

Who has the other best downtown in Central Florida?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-downtown-challenge-beth-kassab-20131127,0,7975887.column

Finally, the Sentinel and Beth Kassab put it in print: "Downtown Orlando has its shortcomings — hardly any shopping and only an average dining scene — but it's clearly the region's top downtown destination."

Edited by spenser1058

"Who has the other best downtown in Central Florida" has now been narrowed to the semi-finals bracket.

This is by no means a flawless poll, for instance Avalon Park is still on the list while Sanford and Kissimmee are out, but it is still an interesting social experiment.

Don't forget to vote:  http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/bracket/otherdowntown/index.php

Edited by prahaboheme

You can cleary see the demography of the readers of Orlando Sentinel when they have poll.

Deland has more votes than Winter Park....

That's an interesting match up, actually. Winter Park is certainly the more picturesque and affluent of the two. But DeLand has charm to spare and has a more prominent civic role, being the county seat and all.

I actually think DeLand is a better pick over Winter Park.

Park Ave is gorgeous, but not everyone can afford to spend a day there. In fact, very few people can. DeLand's downtown has something for everyone, including record stores, clothing boutiques, all types of restaurants, a museum (and soon to be a children's museum), etc. DeLand is more of a "downtown" and Winter Park is more of a "shopping destination." I could live in downtown DeLand and have everything I need. There's even a Sav-A-Lot grocery store and an Asian Market downtown. Not true for Park Ave.

• Like 2

I realized how great downtown DeLand was during the DeLand music festival. Very historic, pretty large, lots of shops, restaurants  and bars. Very underrated. I enjoyed it so much, a true old Florida feel. If the DeLand SunRail station was actually a bit closer to the downtown, the wonders would have been endless. Reading that pole makes me realize Metro Orlando probably has one of the largest and best collection of vibrant downtowns and Main street districts in the state. Miami-Dade has also done a good job in growing and preserving a lot of theirs as well. It is definitely between these two for Florida.

• Like 2

On a surprising note, Avalon Park has apparently overtaken College Park in the poll.  Is College Park still so much a hidden gem that a poorly executed new urbanist development has edged it out?  

I think the fact Avalon Park made the Final Four confirms what I've long suspected: a whole generation of Americans have no clue what an actual downtown is. I will leave it to them to share with us exactly what is special about a soulless, ersatz Potemkin Village in the midst of the palmetto scrubs.

http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/bracket/otherdowntown/index.php

People live in the city doesnt read Orlando Sentinel...clearly...

I once asked someone who worked at the Sentinel why there seemed to be so much Lake County news. He said it was all about following the money: Lake County has more retirees and the older you are, the more likely you are to still subscribe to the dead-tree version. Voila! I suspect that's also why the editorial page started moving back to the right within the last few years after heading in the other direction when the Sentinel still had visions of being the "Best Newspaper In Florida" and was investing the resources to win Pulitzers.

Honestly, I cannot believe Winter Garden is even in close competition with DeLand. It is no contest, in my opinion. DeLand vs Mount Dora is the only close matchup. Personally, I hope DeLand wins, but Mount Dora is also deserving.

Avalon Park never should have beaten College Park.

Honestly, I cannot believe Winter Garden is even in close competition with DeLand. It is no contest, in my opinion. DeLand vs Mount Dora is the only close matchup. Personally, I hope DeLand wins, but Mount Dora is also deserving.

Avalon Park never should have beaten College Park.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. First, not to dis (DeLightful!) DeLand, they have an awesome downtown, and with being the county seat (hence all the activity from county government and a wonderful old courthouse) as well as Stetson, it definitely ranks high on my list.

But... one of the problems with a lot of our downtowns is that main highways bisected them. While Woodland Blvd. is no OBT, 17-92 does lose a couple of points relative to Plant St. in Winter Garden, especially as they integrated the West Orange Trail right in the middle of it. In fact, what they've been able to accomplish all started because SR 50 totally bypassed downtown, leaving it much as it existed in the early 1960's.

By the time the redevelopment began, it was basically devoid of life, but just waiting for the abundant TLC provided by city fathers/mothers like Bert and Barbara Roper. Two of the best city managers I've ever encountered, Hollis Holden followed by Michael Bollhoefer took the ideas of the activists and found ways to give them life.

The other thing, though, is intangible. There is a spirit on WG's city commission of constantly figuring out ways to build upon the theme of the downtown. I often complain (understatement!?!) about DDB and Orlando's continued failure to promote the needs of the downtown core. Winter Garden is exactly the opposite, whether by starting new museums, "plussing" new festivals downtown, even going so far as figuring out ways not only to attract new businesses, but to ensure they fit the whole idea of the community's agricultural heritage. It really is quite unique.

Full disclosure: my grandparents first came to Winter Garden in the 1920's, and during my lifetime I've watched downtown die and then blossom into something I never thought possible.

Having said that, I'd be hard-pressed to declare a winner between DeLand, WG and Mt. Dora. Any of the three are quite worthy imho.

Geek alert (for those really into public administration stuff): Here are a couple of interviews taped earlier this year by Orlando Memory with former WG City Manager Hollis Holden. In addition to telling you about the metamorphosis of the downtown, it also captures some great bio material (each is about 10 minutes):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjG0sPqjOg‎

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KVXXtHPb90

Edited by spenser1058