Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

They have indeed, and if I were the DDB I'd be convening a meeting of folks like that, as well as the owners of the local ACE franchise and others to recommend ways to bring more retail downtown. But, then, frankly, the DDB is more content not doing much of anything other than being the "Amen chorus" whenever Buddy trots them out.

DDB needs to talk to the folks from Darden, Hard Rock and maybe Tupperware....their HQ is in Orlando, yet they have no presense in our downtown. I will go as far as forming partnership with Universal-comcast to develop downtown to link Universal Orlando with downtown Orlando. Since Universal is the only park thats actually in Orlando...

Darden always have prototype restaurant concept that they tried up...downtown Orlando would be a good place for them to do that...

• Like 1

Seems to me that it's a cultural issue. The pervasive suburban culture is overwhelming the emerging urban culture. I would suggest three things:

1) Have the DDB fund a parking campaign informing visitors where to park.

2). Encourage retailers to more aggressively inform customers via web/flyers.

3). Have parking garages advertise more aggressively themselves via parking apps/web/better signage/traditional media.

Alternatively, as a downtown business, it may be time to look into delivery services for customers within a reasonable distance. To accommodate customers unfamiliar with the area or simply too busy to park.

In theory I hate everything about parking lots downtown too. But unfortunately I've found unless people can visually see an easy parking spot they seem scared. I get calls to the store all the time from people who say they tried to park out front but no spots so they went home. We have a free parking garage 30 seconds away and people don't know or care.

I think putting big signs on some of the corners that say where garages are might push people to find and use them. I would love to see Orlando/Post allow putting some signs on the corners outside the dry cleaner and Eden's that says free 20 minute parking in the garage to see how much that may help.

Edited by mrh3

I live downtown and sometimes I even forget where the garages are so I can imagine what it's like for people who aren't familiar with the area. Large, unobstructed, and easy to read directional parking signs should be posted all along the major streets & intersections to help guide drivers directly to the garages. The little signs and event LED's aren't cutting it.

Why wouldn't a customer call a business BEFORE or even DURING the search for parking? Only flakes call afterwards when nothing can be done. "Heeey, sorieee... couldn't find parking out front [so I flaked out]. Byeeee."

Not sure if any of you read this story in The Atlantic Cities from Monday on what the interstate system should look like but I found it very interesting. 

"Boarnet argues that one branch of the Interstate Highway System should have been reserved entirely for intercity roads. These would be highways running through remote areas with cheap land and sparse populations, so it would make sense to prioritize traffic flow and vehicle capacity. Paying for this branch with a pooled fuel tax would also make sense, because the benefits of low-cost transport and trade redound on everyone.

The other branch of the system would be made up of intracity roads, those running within the city limits. Given the high cost of land and density of population in cities, creating sufficient road capacity and swift vehicle flow would become a pipe dream, so the wiser aim would be transport balance. The logical way to finance these roads, given the great demand for space on them, would be with direct user fees — ideally priced to reduce congestion."

With only one major interstate through Orlando and the rest being toll roads, and now even tolls becoming an option on I-4, that description to me pretty much sounds like what we have.  For as much griping as we all do sometimes its good to see that we at least get a few things right around here.  :thumbsup:

Not sure if any of you read this story in The Atlantic Cities from Monday on what the interstate system should look like but I found it very interesting. 

"Boarnet argues that one branch of the Interstate Highway System should have been reserved entirely for intercity roads. These would be highways running through remote areas with cheap land and sparse populations, so it would make sense to prioritize traffic flow and vehicle capacity. Paying for this branch with a pooled fuel tax would also make sense, because the benefits of low-cost transport and trade redound on everyone.

The other branch of the system would be made up of intracity roads, those running within the city limits. Given the high cost of land and density of population in cities, creating sufficient road capacity and swift vehicle flow would become a pipe dream, so the wiser aim would be transport balance. The logical way to finance these roads, given the great demand for space on them, would be with direct user fees — ideally priced to reduce congestion."

With only one major interstate through Orlando and the rest being toll roads, and now even tolls becoming an option on I-4, that description to me pretty much sounds like what we have.  For as much griping as we all do sometimes its good to see that we at least get a few things right around here.  :thumbsup:

Well, sort of. I4 was originally supposed to run to the west of downtown (I've heard along part of the JYP alignment and also Kirkman Rd - JYP makes more sense because in those days there was nothing but forest primeval north of Colonial Drive while connecting to Kirkman from the north would have required leveling much of Pine Hills). Winter Park, of course, pushed I4 west of 17-92; it originally would have run along Denning Dr (it's just a guess but I've always imagined that may have been what freed up the land for what became WP Mall, now Village). As we know, I4 has a number of engineering problems that probably resulted from then-Sentinel Publisher Martin Andersen's successful rerouting of the highway into downtown (Fairbanks curves, anyone?). Also, if you look on a map between downtown and JYP, the path is as crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Like many civic fathers in those days, Andersen thought he was saving downtown (not to mention making it easier for his delivery trucks). Instead, just the opposite happened. It's interesting to ponder the counterfactuals of what might have been had I4 not cut off downtown from Parramore, Holden and Ivanhoe from the rest of College Park, and whether the disaster that is the 408-I4 interchange might have been avoided if the junction was located at a place where OOCEA could have purchased land more cheaply, but we'll save those for another day.

Two other interesting things: (1) the Florida's Turnpike (SSP at the time) routing just south and west of town is probably closer to Ike's ideal. Originally, there was no junction planned for the Turnpike and I4: if you wanted to get to Orlando, you did so via 441 or 50 (that changed because of Disney and is the chief reason it's such a small interchange for 2 major roads); (2) The law Winter Park got passed to force I4 to the west was later used by Edgewood to stop construction of a connector between downtown and OIA - it's why there is no expressway connection between the two. It's amazing how the laws of unintended consequences have such unforeseen circumstances on urban planning.

BTW - a shoutout to Ken: I'm really enjoying your stories on Top5 - On Daily City I was having an awful time working around all the food truck stuff. I still miss your longer pieces on your other website, though - whatever you write is always chock full of info.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

the mess is the new connection between 417 and 408...why do I have to drive a loop to go from 417 to 408 when i can see the 408 before i make the loop...

Coming from which direction?  The new configuration aligns with most Highway principles?  Not sure where you are finding an issue.

Why Disney wants to change Orlando's image

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/01/why-disney-wants-to-change-orlandos.html

A very interesting article on Disney's interest in rebranding Orlando.  When paired with the Downtown Disney "rebranding" into the Florida-inspired "Disney Springs" entertainment area, I think it is fair to suggest that Disney finally views itself as something more than a California transplant.

the mess is the new connection between 417 and 408...why do I have to drive a loop to go from 417 to 408 when i can see the 408 before i make the loop...

I guess this was the most dangerous interchange along the entire OOCEA system due to the left handed exit. That old left handed exit was the original 408 route, and 408 ended at the current 417/50 interchange. It also didn't allow easy access between SR50 and Goldenrod exists on those ramps.

Phase 2 will rebuild the remaining old ramps in the interchange but I don't think there is any funding for that.

The left exit at Kirkman is also going away.  I recall the FDOT spokesperson stating a desire to end left exits as one of the focuses on the I-4 remodel.

On the other side of town Winter Park Village is in the midst of its major face-lift.  Posted some pics of it here. 

Driving down Orlando Ave is pretty intense right now.  Tons of new construction, this time next year Winter Park is going to look very different. 

CAM02366-300x168.jpg

CAM02460-300x168.jpg

CAM02496-300x168.jpg

• Like 1

Orlando Ave is definitely crazy these days! Across from Winter Park Village to the west, Kmart is closing and that whole shopping center was sold last year. Anyone know what is to become of that shopping center?

Then just to the north of WPV you have the new Whole Foods shopping center and hopefully a Super Target in the largest space.

The Ravaudage seems to be stalled. This was the last I could find on it, but I don't see how anything could be ready by summer of 2014 at this point:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-30/news/os-ravaudage-project-progress-20130930_1_ravaudage-ale-house-restaurant-winter-park-city-commission

• 3 weeks later...
Mad Cow gets $100,000 donation — and seeks matching funds
  •  

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-mad-cow-donation-100000-20140209,0,4360543.story

More great news for our local arts - we seem to be making a serious recovery from the Great Recession - it seems there may be room for both DPAC and the smaller organizations after all. Orlando appears to be making the strides required to move to the next level in an area critical to attracting the type of companies that have more than entry-level wages (several studies suggest the arts do more to convince CEO's to relocate to an area than professional sports). Along with efforts by United Arts to stabilize funding, this is a great sign. Next up: ensuring we attract the talent required to provide a deep bench for the creative side.

^ I know for a fact the number one reason we never became "Hollywood South East" despite the sound stages and other infrastructure built in town during the late '80s and early '90s is because none of the writers and other creative wanted to live in such an artistic waste-land that Orlando was at that time. And still is, comparatively speaking.

Edited by Boomer136

^ I know for a fact the number one reason we never became "Hollywood South East" despite the sound stages and other infrastructure built in town during the late '80s and early '90s is because none of the writers and other creative wanted to live in such an artistic waste-land that Orlando was at that time. And still is, comparatively speaking.

I love seeing posts like this. I'll bet not a single person on this forum has ever come to any of my concerts or shows. We only want to hear people talk about the arts and revel in how wonderful we are. Yet, we'll never actually go to a locally produced show, that would require effort. 

Edited by RedStar25

Who are you, RedStar25? And have you come to any of the shows I designed for?

Now before this goes in an odd direction, I am not grumbling about the quality of local produced music, dance, and theater. But compared to other places we do not have the amount of activity nor the audience levels to support it. Touring Broadway sees us as a "B" town, most shows come in for a week, maybe two, Wicked not withstanding. So, I'm happy with what spenser1058 said. Also I think our locally produced entertainments have matured quite a bit since the '90s, though because of the cut-backs in live musicians at the theme parks our music scene has diminished somewhat. I also am hopeful for the future of the arts and am happy to have non-patrons (I have no idea in spenser1058 if he is a consumer of local art or not) still see a value in the supports given to the arts in the community.

Edited by Boomer136