Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

6 hours ago, angela1117 said:

From the Orlando Sentinel. Looks like the project is taking longer than expected.

PUBLISHED: December 16, 2022 at 9:55 a.m. | UPDATED: December 16, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.

The Florida Department of Health in Orange County’s main office is about to reach month three of closure, with at least another month to go as repairs continue.

The four-story Central Health Center building in downtown Orlando sustained nearly $2 million in damage during Hurricane Ian in late September, after heavy rain wrecked the roof and flooded the building’s interior, said Reed Knowlton, financial advisor to Orange County.

Director and health officer of DOH-Orange Dr. Robert Karch said about 60% of the building at 832 W. Central Blvd. was impacted.

Services have been relocated in accordance with the agency’s disaster plan, and the new locations can accommodate all the patients who were previously visiting this central location, Karch added.

Good. That building was dilapidated.

It needs to be razed.

16 hours ago, angela1117 said:

From the Orlando Sentinel. Looks like the project is taking longer than expected.

PUBLISHED: December 16, 2022 at 9:55 a.m. | UPDATED: December 16, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.

The Florida Department of Health in Orange County’s main office is about to reach month three of closure, with at least another month to go as repairs continue.

The four-story Central Health Center building in downtown Orlando sustained nearly $2 million in damage during Hurricane Ian in late September, after heavy rain wrecked the roof and flooded the building’s interior, said Reed Knowlton, financial advisor to Orange County.

Director and health officer of DOH-Orange Dr. Robert Karch said about 60% of the building at 832 W. Central Blvd. was impacted.

Services have been relocated in accordance with the agency’s disaster plan, and the new locations can accommodate all the patients who were previously visiting this central location, Karch added.

Meanwhile I'm being told by insurance companies that not having renovations complete by now from Ian is completely unacceptable.🙄

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

New renderings were posted of potential CWS reno. They took out the roof. Pretty dumb. 

Looks like all they've done there is wrap some fancy-shmancy wall around the existing stadium.

I guess the roof would've been to expensive.

Without the roof though..... bleh. <_< 

(As I was posting this. they did a report about it on the news, mentioning the lack of the requested roof. A meeting of the money allocators to be held tomorrow. Not sure if they said a decision would also be forthcoming tomorrow.)  

It actually looks really nice but I agree that it's an enormous waste of money. This stadium is not a modern work of art like Sofi Stadium and adding this facade to make it look so is an egregious misuse of funds. A partial roof would be much more functional and necessary than trying to make this stadium look "pretty."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncommon said:

It actually looks really nice but I agree that it's an enormous waste of money. This stadium is not a modern work of art like Sofi Stadium and adding this facade to make it look so is an egregious misuse of funds. A partial roof would be much more functional and necessary than trying to make this stadium look "pretty."

I agree, but I also feel it should be pointed out that the plans include some functionality.

They're going to replace the seating on the upper deck and more significantly, they also want to add on a 360° continuous concourse to connect all the levels. 

So there's that. 

That having been said, it's a lot of money to put into something that is hardly ever used. 

29 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I agree, but I also feel it should be pointed out that the plans include some functionality.

They're going to replace the seating on the upper deck and more significantly, they also want to add on a 360° continuous concourse to connect all the levels. 

So there's that. 

That having been said, it's a lot of money to put into something that is hardly ever used. 

I mean, it's used a decent amount compared to most cities that don't have a host team. But anyway, a partial roof and this facade might be enough to sway an NFL team to seriously consider Orlando or at least have the Pro Bowl here permanently and not just when there are no other viable locations.

Nice design. But...they should focus that money on improving the corridors between Citrus Bowl and the Soccer Stadium so that patrons, like the EDC crowd, can go back and forth without fearing for their lives.  That, IMO, needs to be done bc going into the ghetto for EDC does not look so attractive compared to going to EDC in Vegas, which I'm sure is not in the hood.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Nice design. But...they should focus that money on improving the corridors between Citrus Bowl and the Soccer Stadium so that patrons, like the EDC crowd, can go back and forth without fearing for their lives.  That, IMO, needs to be done bc going into the ghetto for EDC does not look so attractive compared to going to EDC in Vegas, which I'm sure is not in the hood.  

The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is literally in the middle of the desert and directly next to a highway. So, not in the ghetto but 100% not “attractive.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I highly doubt that will sway Insomniac Events away from this site considering the group has quite a lot invested into Orlando and the site is relatively efficient in having high capacity. And with roughly 150,000 to 200,000 people attending per day it is not too much of an issue when walking in groups. I have heard mixed opinions, positives and negatives, between EDC Orlando being "within a city" vs EDC being in a motor  speedway in the desert 16 miles away from the strip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

^Honest question - when was the last time you were there? Things require maintenance and updating.

To answer your question: Yes.

It is one of the oldest stadiums out there without a sports team that bring in millions a year from other venues.

It received a $60 million renovation 2 years ago. It received a $208 million renovation in 2014. For a venue without a permanent tenant, 2 major renovations in 10 years seems excessive, let alone approving a third. And every one of these renovations is more expensive then UCF's entire stadium.

18 hours ago, aent said:

It received a $60 million renovation 2 years ago. It received a $208 million renovation in 2014. For a venue without a permanent tenant, 2 major renovations in 10 years seems excessive, let alone approving a third. And every one of these renovations is more expensive then UCF's entire stadium.

Last time I was out there was the last Cure Bowl before it moved to UCF. The entire lower bowl was rebuilt just under 10 years ago. Literally it was razed to the dirt and rebuilt. Only thing standing were the upper deck bleachers with their long stilts. Even the second deck isnt ancient. They were built in the late 1980s. So for people calling it a very old stadium and maintenence/renovations are needed, quite frankly, need to do more research on its history. It is a new stadium by all metrics. 

If one wants to see pictures to get a better idea, check out the renovation section on wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_World_Stadium

Edited by shardoon

I think the new rendering looks nice enough, but….

One of the biggest negatives I have about the Citrus Bowl is getting to the Citrus Bowl. The traffic is terrible. The parking is terrible. There’s no effective public transportation (like a Lymmo line), and coming from DTO, it’s not an inviting walk, particularly at night. I wish improvements were being made in these area (pre and post Citrus Bowl experience). Having the facility more connected to downtown would be a huge boon all around.

I also hope these plans include a significant A/V upgrade, particular when it comes to sound. The last few concerts I attended there, the sound was pretty bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLClarkKent said:

I think the new rendering looks nice enough, but….

One of the biggest negatives I have about the Citrus Bowl is getting to the Citrus Bowl. The traffic is terrible. The parking is terrible. There’s no effective public transportation (like a Lymmo line), and coming from DTO, it’s not an inviting walk, particularly at night. I wish improvements were being made in these area (pre and post Citrus Bowl experience). Having the facility more connected to downtown would be a huge boon all around.

I also hope these plans include a significant A/V upgrade, particular when it comes to sound. The last few concerts I attended there, the sound was pretty bad.

A street car like Ybor would be great, but the price of that isn't worth it for a venue that barely gets used

4 hours ago, shardoon said:

Last time I was out there was the last Cure Bowl before it moved to UCF. The entire lower bowl was rebuilt just under 10 years ago. Literally it was razed to the dirt and rebuilt. Only thing standing were the upper deck bleachers with their long stilts. Even the second deck isnt ancient. They were built in the late 1980s. So for people calling it a very old stadium and maintenence/renovations are needed, quite frankly, need to do more research on its history. It is a new stadium by all metrics. 

If one wants to see pictures to get a better idea, check out the renovation section on wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_World_Stadium

Everyone knows all of that. 

If you go back through the 132 pages of this thread, you'll see every bit of that being discussed in depth.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Everyone knows all of that. 

If you go back through the 132 pages of this thread, you'll see every bit of that being discussed in depth.  

No everyone. Someone just referred to it as one of the oldest stadiums without a sports team in the context of why it needs constant maintenance and updating/upgrading.

Edited by shardoon
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 5:09 PM, Uncommon said:

The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is literally in the middle of the desert and directly next to a highway. So, not in the ghetto but 100% not “attractive.”

...wow...did not know that...that makes Citrus Bowl seem like heaven.  dang.

he's a popular stance:  they should take that $200M and move the Orange County Clinic out of Parramore Neighborhood and move it to like OBT south of the I-4 interchange, where they already have rent by the week motels.

Then, they can start cleaning up the area between Citrus Bowl and the Soccer Stadium.

District Gastrobar is across the street from CityView.  People go there.  There was a bar across the street from the Soccer Stadium on Church that shut down.  That was a real loss.  Big momentum killer for the area...  I think the lockdowns killed it.

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there that can help revitalize Parramore which in turn makes Citrus Bowl events that much more palatable...